Sign in to follow this  
XeLSiS

Pacific War Mod - The End.

An Official Statement from XeLSiS to OFP Community:

As of October 9th, 2005

The Pacific War Mod is shutdown. The community has been very supporting and I thank you all for those of you who did support it, a few I would like to mention would be Jojimbo, BraTTy, Shinkansen, Canadian_Terror, Gavin, and all the others..

Image1.jpg

The reasons Pacific War is bein shutdown are mainly because the Mod is too big and not enough people are working on it. However I would like to stretch thanks to Shinkansen, Waterman, Sir Louis, and Penguinman for Sticken with it in there spare time. However we arent goin out without releasing everything that is WIP (atleast that I have on my computer lol).

Iwo Jima Island v1.12 Beta - 728kb - Island by m16a2m203 & XeLSiS

LVT-4 Water buffalo - 1.09 MB - Model by farside and Textures by Gavin

Pacific War Island Object Pack v1.0 Beta - 1.75 MB - By Shinkansen

Unfinished Models Pack (mostly .3ds) - 34.5 MB - By Sir Louis

shucks....sad to see a good mod leave sad_o.gif good luck whatever you do Xelsis thumbs-up.gif

also, are all of these "open betas" so if we'd like to use them/edit them we can?

Everything but the Object Pack, not sure what Shin is doin with that but everything else yes.

hehe, I am m8, aka Modern Warfare Mod in the ArmA discussion, check it out if u havent.. whistle.gif

Ohhh no  sad_o.gif  I thought we wiil see good with  Japense tanks , aircrafts & USA aircrafts sad_o.gif

Heh, sorry Akab, Shin may still release stuff indepenently but I donno, he seems to be ignoring me confused_o.gif

Hi,

sorry, sorry, sorry, it was not the idea to ignore you, but I want to see how big the impact was or to say how many are still interested in this mod idea.

This mod has started more than a year ago and was brought several times to a certain stop. One time by Trenchfeet who introduced me in how to make airplanes ailerons and flaps so I had to start to redo all my models and in the other time by some wwiiec members in general and FAP (ugly shading textures) in special who introduced me in avoiding dopple faces to get better texturing results. An event that forces me to start redoing my models again. Beside that especial the airplanes have now two different "ways" of texturing with different results in quality. This is looking a little bit strange and should be changed (in future maybe, someday).

So on one side the models are in the second phase of redoing, and I hope that this is the last phase. On the other side we (I) have more than 100 addons in the pipeline and this doesn't includes bunkers, handweapons and other small stuff, I am speaking about planes, ships, vehicles. So its a really big big project. But most addons came along with only 1 lod so they need a lot of performance at the moment.

So another "close to stop" event was the lack of any kind of map and the possibilty to start the testing of the performance. Under some circumstances it is possible to make amphibious assaults with some 150 to 200 men available for the attacker and 30 - 50 defenders, but this must be tested carefully.

So at the beginning xelsis had this very clever idea to ask with a poll what players would expect to see in such a mod. And from time to time we got big packages from other modellers with addons we couldn't make easily (the japanese tanks for example) or permission to change and modify existing addons.

On the other side the general interest in this mod is not so big (because we haven`t released much until now and when we released something it had a lot of bugs). But making the modells, trying to texture them, betatesting them cost a lot of time, especially if they are tricky addons like a carrier, so work on this mod will continue but progress might be very slow.

As I "think" I mentioned before (trying to be constructive)

If you release addons such as a single boat or a pack of buggy soldiers...people dont get excited over that.

It doesnt matter how many polls you put out, the units have to be somewhat bug free and useable in missions or just plain fun to use in the editor

As well, they werent new models either...just some older stuff that still had bugs.

I think WW2 a pacific is a great idea and I'm sure people would get behind it once there was a few releases that could be used (things like object packs and boats are not the way to get people into a new mod for example IMO)

A tank pack or plane pack and some NEW soldier models...now thats worth hyping.

thumbs-up.gif

hmmmm, well I wasnt able to get ahold of you at all lol for the last month, hmmm... Shin I'll email you..

As I "think" I mentioned before (trying to be constructive)

If you release addons such as a single boat or a pack of buggy soldiers...people dont get excited over that.

It doesnt matter how many polls you put out, the units have to be somewhat bug free and useable in missions or just plain fun to use in the editor

As well, they werent new models either...just some older stuff that still had bugs.

I think WW2 a pacific is a great idea and I'm sure people would get behind it once there was a few releases that could be used (things like object packs and boats are not the way to get people into a new mod for example IMO)

A tank pack or plane pack and some NEW soldier models...now thats worth hyping.

thumbs-up.gif

hi, yes at the beginning I thought we would make some betatesting before releasing...

New soldiers are beyond my level.

the link to the object's pack is kinda funny, after u get like 496 kb is stop's huh.gif??

Missed this post, how unfortunate if the mod shutsdown.

You have some very nice stuff in the works.I was waiting to hear from Shin in your other thread on the status of his addons.

Appears he is a very busy creator,helping a few mods and the WW1 and Western mods both look interesting and somehow draws more interested crowd than WW2 Pacific which has always bewildered me.

I hope you can at least hold on too.See what ARMA brings.

Would bring me alot of motivation if we had multiple firing points and walking on moving vehicles

Me and shin are talkin, he was doing a test to see what would happen if PW had shut down which it did and to see what the community would do if it did and as I told him before Public Support for this is "extremely" weak from non-modders support, but me and him are talking about again and I donno, it might come back, it all depends on what we think...

like i said in the other post, once it gets to 456kb the download stops. i want the objects!

the object pack link is dead do any one have a new link for it i realy need it sad_o.gif