red oct

Music Recommendations

I just rediscovered The Undertones (happens every summer)... Feckin' awesome.

Pink Floyds first album is the only one I've never heard. It'll probably be my next music purchase as Pink Floyd is my favorite band of all time.

That said I have heard at least half the songs off the first album at one time or another.It's so sad what happened to Barrett, I like his style.

As for his solo work I've only heard Evervescing Elephant. Little trivia about that song: It was one of the first songs, if not indeed the first song, that he wrote. He wrote it when he was 16 or 17. As fate would have it, it was the last song he ever recorded.

I like Jugband Blues, though it's rather sad when you listen to the words and put them in context with his mental illness.

I have been listening to the newest album out by Gomez... How We Operate... well, that album, and every album that came out before it... smile_o.gif

Pink Floyds first album is the only one I've never heard. It'll probably be my next music purchase as Pink Floyd is my favorite band of all time.

That said I have heard at least half the songs off the first album at one time or another.It's so sad what happened to Barrett, I like his style.

As for his solo work I've only heard Evervescing Elephant. Little trivia about that song: It was one of the first songs, if not indeed the first song, that he wrote. He wrote it when he was 16 or 17. As fate would have it, it was the last song he ever recorded.

I like Jugband Blues, though it's rather sad when you listen to the words and put them in context with his mental illness.

You should definitely get The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn as quick as possible. It really is a masterpiece.

I've only heard The Madcap Laughs (his first album) by Barrett during his solo career and it's really good. I'm going to England in two weeks so I'm going to buy Barrett and Opel as well. It's so hard to acquire LPs over here in Sweden. smile_o.gif

Not totally on topic, but anyways, I'm listening to Twisted Sister right this moment... without any aid by any electronical devise such as TV, radio or PC. I just need to open my window. wink_o.giftounge2.gif

Bob Dylans First three albums are good, so is his 5th.

Guest Ti0n3r

Roy Orbison. That's all I have to say whistle.gif

Nathan Fake is the way to go if you're into experimental minimal techno. Amazing stuff, it is actually awe-inspiring and always gets me feeling all euphoric. Absolutely brilliant! Seen him live twice and it's an experience I'd never get bored of thumbs-up.gif

Bob Dylans First three albums are good, so is his 5th.

Aye. The first six albums are all excellent works. Then the road gets kind of bumby, some good some bad. smile_o.gif

My crush on Syd Barrett hasn't ended yet. It's gone so far that I've changed my sig-pic as well. Ah, it desperately needed a rework anyway. Having a Towel Day-banner for more than a year was getting kind of silly. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Been hearing some pretty good songs from Kelli Ali on pandora.com

- Home Honey I'm High

- Speakers

- Ideal

- Voyeur

*edit* listen to the tracks here:

If you like her voice you should really check out the Sneaker Pimps-Becoming X album.It`s a brilliant album release that features her singing talents smile_o.gif

I have been listening to the newest album out by Gomez... How We Operate... well, that album, and every album that came out before it... :)

Thanks for the tip, I just picked it up.  It's pretty standard Gomez on first listen, they didn't really stress themselves by trying anything too new.  Abandoned Shopping Trolley Hotline remains my favourite album.

Also listening to:

Destroyer - Destroyers Rubies

Sufjan Stevens - Come on feel the Illinoise

Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans (holy banjo!)

Last 3 songs listened :

Stand By Me from Ben E. King (one of my favorites)

Feel the Heat from Jean Beauvoir (that was title song of the Stallone "Cobra" movie)

the main theme of "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" from Ryuichi Sakamoto (that music never gets old)

And yes, i am always living in the eighties.

I have been listening to the newest album out by Gomez... How We Operate... well, that album, and every album that came out before it... smile_o.gif

Thanks for the tip, I just picked it up. It's pretty standard Gomez on first listen, they didn't really stress themselves by trying anything too new. Abandoned Shopping Trolley Hotline remains my favourite album.

Also listening to:

Destroyer - Destroyers Rubies

Sufjan Stevens - Come on feel the Illinoise

Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans (holy banjo!wink_o.gif

Seven Swans is one of my favorite albums. It's supposed to be a very Christian thing (unlike me) but I still think its absolutely brilliant. I never get tired of listening to it.

And yes, i am always living in the eighties.

lucky you... I was born half way the 80's. most of my favorite music is from the 80's and most of the bands aren't performing or don't even exist anymore.

buuuut 2nd July 2006, Billy Idol @ Hartwall Arena Helsinki yay.gifthumbs-up.gif it'll be a blast smile_o.gif

Seven Swans is one of my favorite albums. It's supposed to be a very Christian thing (unlike me) but I still think its absolutely brilliant. I never get tired of listening to it.

I probably wouldn't notice it if everbody would stop mentioning that it's christian music.  I guess because the songs are written less less like "christianity; why i'm compelled to sing about it, and why you need it too" and more like "stories from my life and stuff that's important to me".  So it's pretty palatable to non-christians like myself.  It's just a perfectly arranged low-key pop/folk album.  That description might sound horrible, try it.  But it sits in my collection next to Modest Mouse, and Brock is pretty cynical and often nihilistic in his lyrics (which I can't get enough of).  I think I have every last bit of recorded music from them as of yesterday (the fruit that ate itself).

Destroyer can be heard here, listen to the first three songs at least, the rest vary a lot in listenability (the album Your Blues was a MIDI experiment, bleagh!)  But he plays a lot with phrasing and it works for me, and his lyrics are great.

http://www.mergerecords.com/band.php?media=true&band_id=29

If you're looking for a more upbeat genre, the current breed of Indie(ish) bands are unmissable.

Some of my current faveourites (in no particular order) are:

Snow Patrol

- Spitting Games (Final Straw)

- Make this go on forever (Eyes open)

Arctic Monkeys

- From the Ritz to the rubble (Arctic Monkeys)

Doves

- Black and White town (Some Cities)

- Some Cities (Some Cities)

- Someday soon (Some Cities)

Franz Ferdinand

- Outsiders (You could have it so much better)

- The Fallen (You could have it so much better)

- You could have it so much better

Hard Fi

- Living for the weekend (Stars of CCTV)

- Middle Eastern holiday (Stars of CCTV)

Kaiser Chiefs

- Everyday i love you less and less (Employment)

Kings of Leon

- Mollys Chambers (Youth and Young manhood)

- Pistol of fire (Aha shake heartbreak)

- Red morning light (Youth and Young manhood)

- Spiral staircase (Youth and Young manhood)

Maximo Park

- All over the shop (A certain trigger)

- Apply some pressure (A certain trigger)

Razorlight

- Golden Touch (Up all night)

The Bravery

- Honest mistake (2005)

- Swollen summer (2005)

The Coral

- Dreaming of you (The coral)

The Futureheads

- Carnival kids (The futureheads)

The Rakes

- Retreat (Capture-Release)

- Terror! (Capture-Release)

The Strokes

- Heart in a cage (First impressions of earth)

- Juicebox (First impressions of earth)

- Reptilia (Room on fire)

The Subways

- Rock and Roll Queen (Young for eternity)

The Zutons

- Why wont you give me your love (single)

We are scientists

- Cash Cow (With love and squalor)

- Inaction (With love and squalor)

- The great escape (With love and squalor)

Those, mixed with countless other songs, make for one awesome driving cd imho wink_o.gif

Earl, you're exactly right. Its not a preachy album by any means. I listened to it for months before anyone ever told me it was a supposedly religious album. I'll check out Destroyer.

Good bands, Deadmeat. I like a lot of them, but am getting tired of Snow Patrol constantly being labelled the new Coldplay. wink_o.gif

If any of you are interested in straight up rock music anymore, the Black Angels from Austin, Texas really blow my ass away. They're like a southern psychadelic band and their songs are absolutely fucking brilliant. I strongly recommend them.

http://theblackangels.com/

They have music samples up on their website.

... but am getting tired of Snow Patrol constantly being labelled the new Coldplay. wink_o.gif

Coldplay suck anyway...

When clocks first came out it was played on the radio like every 5 mins, after about 3 hours at work it was getting soul destroying tounge2.gif

After a day or so, every one of the staff would just stand there gormlessly and go "cloooooocks..... clooooocks..... cloooooocks...." every time it came on tounge2.gif

Funny times, funny times crazy_o.gif

Herte's my list of favourite bands at the moment, i often listen to 'em while in front of my pc during long editing sessions.

-Wumpscut

All stuffs

-Anorexia Nervosa

Redemption process

-Cradle of Filth

The principle of evil made flesh

Dusk and her embrace

Cruelty and the beast

Apoptygma Berzek (excellent band!! )

-All stuffs

The Muse

-The origin of Simmetry

Devil Doll (listen to 'em!! )

-All stuffs

Dimmu Borgir

-Stormblast

Noir Desire

-Des visage des figures

Ultravox

-All stuffs

London After Midnight

-Selected scenes from the end of the world

My Dying Bride

-All stuffs

Franco Battiato

-La voce del Padrone

On occasion i don't dislike to listen to pop, dance and techno/hardcore.

Klavan

Black Angels sound great, has a bit (a lot) of Frank Black in those vocals. There's definitely resurgent rock-reaction to put all the wastrel bespectacled indie rockers back in their place :-)

Check out http://www.wolfmother.com/ and http://www.wolfmother.ca with some alternate steaming tracks (they're actually australian). It's like led zeppelin to the fourth power of black sabbath with a bit of Doors keyboard noodling for good measure. So while it's all very derivative with little attempt at reinventing anything, it still rocks and make me want to buy an airbrushed van with no windows and a case of stubbies.

Otherwise, some stuff that I've wanted to listen to more but haven't heard too much from (should be some free mp3s at each link)

-Gogol Bordello http://www.gogolbordello.com/

-Beirut / Gulag Orkestar http://www.beirutband.com/

-Martin Dosh http://www.doshfamily.com/

Guest Ti0n3r

Does anyone know if/were I can find music by Ondrej Matejka, besides in OFP & Elite?

-Gogol Bordello

Haha Gogol Bordello...Gypsy Punk biggrin_o.gif Legend yay.gif

On another note, if anyone likes schranz (heavy HEAVY heeavy bass), hardstyle techno or just anything to lose it to, I strongly recommend

Alex Calver

Robert Natus

CJ Bolland

DJ Rush

Q-IC

Manu Kenton

Sven Wittekind

yay.gifinlove.gif

Two words: Elysian Fields. Not the metal band, but the indy rock band with Jennifer Charles as the vocaliste. If you like Aimee Mann and Fiona Apple, this is bound to appeal to your taste.

Just wondering if anyone else can't get enough of the canadian indie band Broken Social Scene and related bands/artists like Metric, The Most Serene Republic, Apostle of Hustle, etc.