red oct

Music Recommendations

a friend introduced me to Temple of the Dog - Green River (later Pearl Jam) with Chris Cornell as well as Eddie Vedder on vocals. Awesome stuff. it was a project done as a tribute to Andy Wood, of Mother Love Bone, after he died of a drug overdose. Haven't been able to give Mother Love Bone a good listen yet though.

You may have heard the single Hunger Strike and not realized it wasn't just Pearl Jam smile_o.gif

Hunger Strike video (40mb)

Reach Down is also a good track from Temple of the Dog.

Look out for Pearl Jam's version of Soldier of Love, cracking. Pearl Jam's Ten and Yield albums along with Soundgarden's Down On The Upside album are never far from hand.

I've been listening to Franz Ferdinand's album "You Can Have It So Much Better" lately, on which I like the track "What You Meant" very much. :]

Just listened to Johan Halvorsen's Passacaglia (duo for violin and viola) friend has borrowed me and found it absolutely amazing. Fine background music for addon-making. smile_o.gif

Some info on the piece and its author: http://www.fuguemasters.com/halvorse.html

Just wondering, is anyone into emo music here? It's a relatively new scene and I get the impression that most people here would be a bit old for it (no offence tounge2.gif ) My favourite bands at the moment are

Eighteen Visions

Atreyu

Bullet For My Valentine

Funeral For A Friend

InMe

Hundred Reasons

can anyone relate to any bands similar to this?

Quote[/b] ]safe bet for #1 would be John Bonham of Led Zeppelin?

Indeed, he is my favorite drummer. His drumming on the song

When the Levee Breaks

Bron-Y-aur Stomp. It's just a simple repeated THUMP,

Black Country Woman has the same thing at 1:33 to 2:10.

Boogie with Stu

add:

Poor Tom

Good Times Bad Times

Moby Dick

Bonzo's Montreux

The Girl I Love... (BBC sessions)

edit\ i'm due for a zeppelathon... box set 1 & 2, bbc sessions + how the west was won = 12 hours.

I missed this post some how, those songs are great picks also. I actually have the box set, but mine is the cassette version. Problem with that is that both tape decks on my stereo are shot now. I have zeppelin II,Presence, In through the out door and Coda also on cassette.

I really need to just buy a new stereo but every time I think about getting a new one I get really attached to the one I have now and don't want to replace it heh heh. If only I could fix the tape decks things would be fine.

I should get the boxed set on CD and the box set two one of these days. I'm curious about how the west was won, I haven't heard a single track off it, how good is the quality? I remember listening to the song remains the same live album growing up and was really dissapointed by quality.

The ultimate music recommendation:

-Learn to make your own.

I'm trying to learn the craft. It's hard but it's evolving. Are there anyone else here making their own music?

I've been listening a lot to Pink Floyds Meddle during the last few days. Excellent album. Only problem is that, I have no what it is, but it looks like a potato crisp lodged into the LP. Makes the part just before the second "act" go all wooey. huh.gif

Anyway, anyone else into ambient music? I just discovered it a couple of months ago but haven't really listened to it because I've been discovering my dad's old collection (8 metres of LPs biggrin_o.gif ). I hate techno, trance and whatever it's called, but this I like.

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Just wondering, is anyone into emo music here? It's a relatively new scene and I get the impression that most people here would be a bit old for it (no offence tounge2.gif ) My favourite bands at the moment are

Eighteen Visions

Atreyu

Bullet For My Valentine

Funeral For A Friend

InMe

Hundred Reasons

can anyone relate to any bands similar to this?

Emo has been around since the 80s, it's just changed.

Bullet for My Valentine are pretty good.

If you're into ambient sorta music, you should listen to:

Mogwai, Sigur Ros or Isis (though Isis, are heavy ambience!wink_o.gif

@ Ranger Bob

Yeesh it has but it's changed/become more comercial now, mostly due to the internet and all.

Julio Iglesias

Celine Dion

Toni Braxton

Bryan Adams

Tatu

Maroon 5

Geri Halliwell

Silvertide

George Michael

Vangelis

Bond

Snoop Dog

And many others. wink_o.gif

The ultimate music recommendation:

-Learn to make your own.

I'm trying to learn the craft. It's hard but it's evolving. Are there anyone else here making their own music?

I've kinda sorta made some stuff but ain't got anything complete due to a lack of time the past 8 months

Creating music is probably the hardest of the arts. Creating good music anyway. Wish I could do it myself, cos then I wouldn't be trawling the net trying to find orchestral pieces for my missions.

Oh, and about Snoop, I've spent ages laughing at his old name: Snoop Doggy Dog,

Creating music, that's my dream.

I play guitar, though not very well. I've been playing guitar for 7 years now and I suck. I never really have had friends to jam with which is a bummer. The few times I've played guitar with another player have been the biggest leaps in my learning as it's great to get out of my self imposed echo box and share knowledge with others.

The past few monthes I've actually sort of tried to write lyrics down. It's madness really since I can't sing, and definitely don't have the courage to sing in front of any one (I've never sung a song in front of any one in my life). The hardest part about lyrics for me is coming up with more than one and a half verses.

My biggest problem is not being able to improvise and play with others. Like I said I don't know anyone I could jam with and even if I did I cannot improvise and play along any way.

So yeah I try to create music, I'm just terrible at it.

Quote[/b] ]I've been listening a lot to Pink Floyds Meddle

Excellent choice, one of my favorite albums of all time.

... online radio (i use winamp), genre: Ambient smile_o.gif,

any station will do good.

Guest Ti0n3r

I would recommend my own music but I havent recorded anything for years. tounge2.gif

Anyway, anyone who likes/dislikes orchestral music should definitely check out anything by John Williams (The guy who composed the OST's for all the starwars movies)

The Saving Pvt Ryan OST is just... inlove.gif

Edit: Btw, you should also check out;

Call of Duty OST

Band of Brothers OST

Call of Duty 2 OST

Jurassic Park OST

Quote[/b] ]The ultimate music recommendation:

-Learn to make your own.

Yeah, I should at sometime get my own unique brand of trombone rock uploaded for the masses at some stage. The kids will love it and I will be rich. You heard it here first.

Was dissapointed with Bloodhound Gangs 'Hefty Fine' but still went to see them live, and appreciate the songs a lot more now.

However, the support act Electric Eel Shock rocked!

Think Japanise Heavy Metal with a naked drummer (luckily he has a carefully positioned sock). They are fantastic live and hopefully are touring again soon.

Otherwise,

Betaband,

Magic Numbers

Franz Ferdinand

etc. etc.

devo

yellow magic orchestra

ryuichi sakamoto free stuff->http://www.sitesakamoto.com/

brian eno

isolee

tom ze

ian obrian

e-dancer/kevin saunderson

the black dog

autechre

rep planet <-label

model 500/juan atkins

stacy pullen

derrick may

weather report

return to forever

squarepusher

jean luc ponty

peirre bastien

mahavishnu orchestra/john mclaughlin

john coltrane

phillip glass

steve reich

captain beefheart

faust

logg/leroy burgess/convertion

silver apples

kraftwerk

drexciya

fela kuti

manu dibango

theo parrish

moodyman

b52's

mathew herbert/doctor rockit/radioboy

jeff beck

stanley clark

george duke

new sector movments / ig culture

µ-ziq

plaid

sun ra

carl craig

billy cobham

susumo yokota

rei harakami

dan curtain

cx audio ie / okihide

chris brann

opaque

recloose

herbie hancock

tony williams lifetime

songs in the key of Z <----loool

theres a couple to check out

from wheres my rabbit? :

Quote[/b] ]songs in the key of Z <----loool

Featuring the classics:

Eilert Pilarm -- "Jailhouse Rock"

Joe Meek -- "Telstar" (demo)

B.J. Snowden -- "In Canada"

The Shaggs -- "Philosophy of the World"

and of course:

Shooby Taylor, the Human Horn -- "Stout-Hearted Men"

Plus a whole lot more.

Yes, I too recommend this album!

anyone else here looking forward to the new Tool album? I´m totally psyched right now, as they have (apparently) released the title (Tenthousand Days) and tracklist for it. It is expected to be released around May 2nd.

For those of you who never heard of them: They´re a progressive rock/metal band from L.A., founded in 1993, and their music seriously kicks ass. It´s a blast. Their record Aenima can be considered as one of the best rock albums from the 90s (of course that is subjective, but there are many people who would agree).

Toolband.com is their website.

Here you can check out their drummer in action

and here you can watch the music video to "Schism", their 2001 single from the album Lateralus.