red oct

Music Recommendations

First of all: Buy a Technics 1210. They are pretty cheap right now and still the best versatile and robust turntables.

You don´t need much to create good vinyl copies.

Either you use direct line input to comp (preamp needed if not included with turntables) or you use the lineout of amplifier. That´s how I did it. I have several amps but the one with the best results is the Onkyo quartz amplifier R1.

I use Steinberg Clean to get best results after getting the tracks on my computer.

I own a Technics tangential record player aswell but it´s too sensitive for copying. You can hear too much crazy_o.gif That sounds weird, but if you don´t keep your records in a clinical state they have a lot of crackles and dust on them. Even when using ultrafine record brushes you get the crackles. It´s just that the tangential player is too sensitive.

I still own a Revox record player where you can play records "wet". The result is great, but the problem is that once you play a record wet you have to play it wet all the time because of the cristaline fallout of the dried water on the record. I tried to use clarified water to get best results but the initial problem didn´t go away. So I hardly use the wet-play anymore.

It´s 1210 all the way.

Just bought the soundtrack CD to the new No Direction Home documentary ... MAN does it have nice alternate takes of dylan traditionals. The alternate of "Just like tom thumbs blues" is just fantastic!

If you like music which is hard to put into single genre, try two albums of Rachid Taha which I've recently bought - Made In Medina and Diwan. Very lively music, combination of Algerian "rai" (kinda folk music originally played in sailor pubs of North-African coast) and contemporary pop/rock. Song "Barra barra" appeared on Black Hawk Down soundtrack.

Rashid Taha's website:

http://rachidtaha.artistes.universalmusic.fr/

Last weekend I discovered two interesting radio stations:

http://www.radiofreecolorado.net/

http://www.radiofreedavid.com/

A nice mix of some fine music, including many live versions.

Recently Radio Free Colorado played Nirvana's The Man Who Sold The World and I noticed that Unplugged in New York is missing in my collection! Seems to be a case of wanted-to-but-forgot-about... crazy_o.gif

So I ordered it, along with Michael Bublé's "It's time". Have to celebrate the new job. biggrin_o.gif

Just discovered Molotov - a bit like early Beastie Boys en Espańol.

Been listening mostly to their first album,

żDónde Jugaran las Nińas? (link has short samples, same site as Red Oct posted)

"Chinga tu Madre" and "Gimme Tha Power" are the two I like best. They also had a good song in the

Y tu mamá también soundtrack ("Here comes the Mayo")

And they have some interesting covers, like the Bo-Rap, and a very catchy spanish version of "I turned into a Martian" by the Misfits.

Been streaming Amon Tobin's Chaos Theory (yes, Splinter Cell 3 soundtrack) lately. It's veeery nice.

Just saw him in concert. Good stuff.

- Metthew Dekey, any live mix !

- Space Nights.

- Ibiza Chillout.

or online radio ...

Groove Salad: a nicely chilled plate of ambient beats [somaFM]. biggrin_o.gif

Just discovered a nice viking inspired black metal band, Asatru, the songs from their demo can be downloaded from their site and I recommend "Into glory we shall ride".

Afghan Whigs

The Pixies and Frank Black

Broken Social Scene

Four Tet

Arcade Fire

Nick Drake

Bring me the fucking riot... man!

I could keep on forever but check out the Arcade Fire - Funeral album. It's the best debut album in a long, long time.

Afghan Whigs

The Pixies and Frank Black

Broken Social Scene

Four Tet

Arcade Fire

Nick Drake

Bring me the fucking riot... man!

I could keep on forever but check out the Arcade Fire - Funeral album. It's the best debut album in a long, long time.

I haven't heard of Afghan Whigs, but I'm liking your taste in music so I'll check them out. Ditto about Arcade Fire.

I love my stoner metal and sludge metal, so here's some recommendations: Fu Manchu, Grand Magus, Orange Goblin, Atomic Bitchwax, Kyuss, Fireball Ministry, Monster Magnet, Orange 9mm, Fudge Tunnel, Clutch, Pro-pain, Sleep, Masters of Reality, Life of Agony, Crowbar, Helmet, Tad, Corrosion of Conformity...

I always wear out the bass on my speakers tounge2.gif

I love my stoner metal and sludge metal, so here's some recommendations: Fu Manchu, Grand Magus, Orange Goblin, Atomic Bitchwax, Kyuss, Fireball Ministry, Monster Magnet, Orange 9mm, Fudge Tunnel, Clutch, Pro-pain, Sleep, Masters of Reality, Life of Agony, Crowbar, Helmet, Tad, Corrosion of Conformity...

I always wear out the bass on my speakers  tounge2.gif

Check out Dozer

I know the guitarist and they're quite big on the stoner scene. I think they even played in Australia last year.

@Crazysheep

Black Love is my favourite album by Afghan Whigs and Step into the light is the best song. Give them some time 'cause they get better each time you listen to them. It's sort of the same deal as with Frank Black and his songs which you need to learn to love.

I always wear out the bass on my speakers  tounge2.gif

Those band names or flavours for a juice?

One of my absolute favourite bands, Thyrfing, released a track a couple of days ago from their upcoming album Farsotstider (Times of Plague) which will be released on November 21 - download: Jag spĺr fördärv (I predict destruction).

Viking metal.

Braces are sexy, by the way.

I always wear out the bass on my speakers tounge2.gif

Those band names or flavours for a juice?

Some of them are actual cocktails wink_o.gif But! Tomorrow I am going to see The Master Bob Dylan in rotterdams Ahoy theater! smile_o.gif Really looking forward to it!

Tomorrow I am going to see The Master Bob Dylan in rotterdams Ahoy theater! smile_o.gif Really looking forward to it!

I saw him in Stockholm the 17th, I had quite crappy seats, and his voice really isn't what it used to be. But seeing him on stage was quite something nonetheless, and more than worth the money He gave off a real good version of All along the watchtower in the end, aswell. Oh, and have fun! smile_o.gif

Tomorrow I am going to see The Master Bob Dylan in rotterdams Ahoy theater! smile_o.gif Really looking forward to it!

I saw him in Stockholm the 17th, I had quite crappy seats, and his voice really isn't what it used to be. But seeing him on stage was quite something nonetheless, and more than worth the money He gave off a real good version of All along the watchtower in the end, aswell. Oh, and have fun! smile_o.gif

Went to see him yesterday. He always ends with all along the watchtower. Wasn't the best show I've seen of his. I bought crap tickets for the venue on purpose because they allow you to get onto the arena with tickets like that. Had fun talking to some fellow fans I knew, drank a couple of beers, listened to bob and drove home (new top speed on the BMW !wink_o.gif. Wasnt the greatest concert I heard and he didnt really play songs that surprised me. Blind willy McTell was nice to hear but when he played it at some concerst in 2003 I was at it was better smile_o.gif

a (short)list of the bands/artists that i always keep tuned. some of them are extinct.

blasted mechanism (portuguese band)

nitin sawhney

the chemical brothers

massive attack

rammstein

kruder&dorfmeister

david bowie

mike patton (ex faith no more)

beastie boys

pink floyd

jeff buckley

dave mathews