red oct

Music Recommendations

Oh, one group I forgot: Beatallica!

http://www.beatallica.com/

Never heard of the band before. Some very funny cover art on their page. Need to check out their songs when I get home.

[mg]http://www.beatallica.org/fanart/Sgto.%20Anger.jpg[/img]

rofl.gif

This shit is pure genius! I'm absolutely loving it! rofl.gif Thanks der bastler

Just look at the some of the song titles -

Quote[/b] ]

Blackened The USSR

The Thing That Should Not Let It Be

Leper Madonna

Everybody's Got A Ticket To Ride Except For Me And My Lightning

Hey Dude

And Justice For All My Loving

and yes...the cover art....

Evilsubmarine.jpg

and best of all: > 100kb

Everyone, head over to the site and download their music! biggrin_o.gif

*resists urge to type stupidly long list*

Errm, where to start..

Radiohead - OK Computer/Pablo Honey albums

I know a lot of people think Radiohead disappeared up their own arses after OK Computer, but I would strongly reccommend getting into Amnesiac, Kid A, and Hail to the Thief as well they're incredible albums. Songs to start with are Morning Bell, Idioteque, How to Disappear Completely (from Kid A) Pyramid Song, Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box, I Might Be Wrong (from Amnesiac) and There There, Sit Down Stand Up, Where I End And You Begin (Hail To The Thief)

After you get into those albums you can't go back to the Pablo Honey and Bends period!

I agree, I do like quite a few of those songs, but as a whole, I prefer the two I listed. I.e I can listen to the whole of Pablo Honey without skiping any tracks, where as with Ammnesiac, I'll end up skipping ~half of them.. But yeh, there are good songs on those albums

(Obviously this is all my opinion tounge2.gif )

Hmm, another suggestion for anyone who likes QOTSA is Kyuss.. As it's basicly the same band tounge2.gif

- Ben

This shit is pure genius! I'm absolutely loving it! rofl.gif Thanks der bastler

Discovered them some time ago, but today I read about them in the newspaper. They give a concert here in Hannover together with The Punkles.

I even got the FLAC-Versions of their songs (now offline). Must have been my first downloads via bittorrent (btdownloadcurses.py), according to the entries in my GTKtalog the files date back to June 2004...

"Hey Dude" is my favourite:

Intro... beer can gets opened... "Hey Dude,..."

Quote[/b] ]I was a bit disappointed with both the new Bloodhound Gang and Electric Six albums...

thats true with BHG's album, i like all the songs apart from farting with a walkman on and diarohhea runs in the family crazy_o.gif something diabolical isnt that much good aswell EVEN the fact that Ville Valo's in it sad_o.gif

but getting down to whats on my ipod :P

Bon jovi,

Kaiser chiefs,

Franz ferdinand,

Nine inch nails,

Bloodhound gang,

Hard - fi,

The zutons,

Athlete,

AFI,

Jimmy eat world,

Sex pistols,

No use for a name,

Green day,

Maximo park,

Blink 182,

The darkness,

Snow patrol,

The killers,

Gorillaz

biggrin_o.gif i waste to much money! tounge2.gif

Wildo

"Hey Dude" is my favourite:

Intro... beer can gets opened... "Hey Dude,..."

Definitely biggrin_o.gif

"The Thing that Should not Let it Be" is a close second headbang_smiley.gif

Running with Scissors - Weird Al Yankovic

The only thing you'll need if you hate popular music tounge2.gif

Well, to be honest, the only music I don't like is R&B and Hip Hop. I could never really get into that sort of thing. Oh... and collage rock, can't stand it whistle.gif

That's my own personal opinion. Please don't flame biggrin_o.gifthumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]all the Pink Floyd that matters

Blasphemy! All Floyd matters!

Just messing with you. Their different eras have different sounds and vibes so It's understandable why some people like some of the albums but not others.

Personally I enjoy all their albums save for one and that's the Final Cut. No Rick Wright + no writing contribution from Nick or David = Rogers Worst solo album. That being said A momentary lapse of Reason is basically a Gilmour solo album, though I find it an enjoyable listen.

My favorite Pink Floyd album is a tie between Meddle and Animals, it really depends on the mood I’m in at the time.

As for complete collections, I’m technically close to completing my Floyd and Zeppelin. All I need to “technically†complete my Zeppelin collection is their debut album.

The reason I say technically is because while I do have all of Zeppelins other albums except for the first, not all of them are playable or on my person anymore. My copies of Zeppelin II, In through the out Door, Presence and Coda are all on cassettes. Both cassette decks on my stereo no longer function, and if they did Zeppelin II and Coda are completely demagnetized and dead from overplay. That’s part of the reason I bought Zeppelin III yesterday as I have it already albeit on cassette, now I can enjoy it again on CD.

The whole cassette thing depresses me as I have nearly every Beatles album for example, yet I can’t listen to them because of my dead cassette decks and the fact that most of my tapes seem to have been played to death. I have about 30 to 40 albums on cassette so you can see where a large portion of my album collection has died. It’s been like starting over from scratch these past few years. (I didn’t get a CD player until 5 years ago)

Johnny Cash - American IV - Hurt . Read up on the man and june carter cash and if you buy the cd watch the videoclip on the bonus DVD. Heartwrenchingly cool

For me:

UNKLE

DJ Shadow

DJ Krush

RJD2

Massive Attack

Roykskopp

Kruder & Dorfmeister

Hendrix

Cream

Placebo

Occasionally break out Weird Al's "Poodle Hat." Love "Angry White Boy Polka."

Bob Dylan

My absolute all time favorite artist smile_o.gif My CD collection is 70% bob dylan huh.gif The guy is a text writing genius. Pretty soonish there will also be a new documentary on the shelves called No Direction Home. I saw it on the BBC. Its really nice, you do hear what bob felt about things himself instead of hearing just from people that knew him (like most documentaries). ALSO there is definitive proof who said "Play f*cking loud" in 1966 during the concert in the Manchester Free Trade Hall. The crowds had been displeased with dylan "going electric" and had been slow clapping etc. during the second half. Just before the final number someone in the crowd yells "Judas!" dylan replies "I don't believe you, your a liar" and then turns to the band (THE band) and says the words and they start pbb the best performance of Like a rolling stone. Ah the joys of being a nerdy fan biggrin_o.gif

"The Thing that Should not Let it Be" is a close second

"Hybrid children", eh? rofl.gif

I'm burning the FLAC-version onto CD right now. Plus my brand-new HP PSC2610 whichfunctions100%overethernetwithCUPS creates the covers. yay.gif

Speaking of Bob Dylan... Does anybody remember the "live at budokan" albums? Last year I bought "Cheap Trick at Budokan" and "Bob Dylan at Budokan". Imo some excellent vinyls...

yeah have the live at budokan album on LP and CD smile_o.gif Nice albums. Further bob related recommended listening:

- Live 1966

- Desire

- Hard rain

- Any recording of the 1980's tour of .oz with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. fantastic!

And of course don't let us forget Mr Peter Frampton, more precisely "Frampton Comes Alive"...

And if someone's interested: bt.etree.org is a good resource for bootlegs of fan-taping-friendly bands. For example Pearl Jam:

http://bt.etree.org/?search=&cat=137&incldead=1

Some torrents are without seeders, so if you are interested in an inacitve one, just leave a note, perhaps I have the torrent and can put it up again.

Mr Peter Frampton

I love "Do you feel like we do?" by him smile_o.gif

another nice song Fleetwood Mac - Man of the world from before they became horrible.

Swedish acts worth mentioning:

Jens Lekman

The Radio Dept.

Shout Out Louds

Ska'N'Ska

SKAhlman

Then some international ones:

Lee "Scratch" Perry

Desmond Dekker

The Skatelites

Bob Marley

Cock Sparrer

Interpol

Mojave 3

Bob Dylan (as previously mentioned, he's the master of lyrics)

Oi Polloi

Belle&Sebastian

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Youth of today

Sonic youth

Wow, I'm such a namedropper :P But all these artists are certainly worth a listen. Hook up to I-tunes and get a few Jens Lekman songs! smile_o.gif

And now for something not completely different...

Wing Commander and Privateer soundtracks:

http://www.wcnews.com/music/

I recommend the FM Towns II versions:

http://www.wcnews.com/music/albums.shtml#wc10

http://www.wcnews.com/music/albums.shtml#wc11

(Made some cover art for slim cases; if you are interested, just drop an email)

There's also a live recording of the Wing Commander Theme by The Fat Man and Team Fat:

http://www.wcnews.com/news/showupdate.php?id=3481

And the Privateer High Quality Recordings are pretty good, too:

http://www.wcnews.com/music/#priv

Lucas Arts Soundtracks can be found at Mix'n'Mojo (including cover art):

http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/

The soundtrack of "Fate of Atlantis" is available at Draggor's Den:

http://www.draggor.com/music/vg_ijfa.asp

(Again, put together some cover art; can send it via email)

And finally, the soundtracks of Sim City 3000 and 4 can be downloaded from ea.com (including cover art):

http://simcity.ea.com/coolstuff/music_index.php

Quote[/b] ]Any recording of the 1980's tour of .oz with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. fantastic!

I really like Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers. I also like Bob Dylan, though I don't have any of his albums still. I haven't heard of this 1980s oz tour I'll have to look it up.

If you like Bob Dylan and Tom Petty you would probably like the Traveling Wilburys. The Wilburys only have two albums (self titled debut and volume 3). The members of the band are Tom Petty,Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne. Very happy music.

Front Line Assembly

biggrin_o.gifyay.gif

Am looking forward to Navigator by Funker Vogt and Rosen Rot by Rammstein.

I've recently bought the "blasphemy in holy land" live record by Hocico.

I also got my hands on a live record of a friend of mine, Gary LF and bought Fin de cycle by a band called la Phaze after my niece made me listen to one of their songs (l'assault final).

And I'm still listenning to punish yourself biggrin_o.gif

I've been thinking about getting the latest KMFDM album, but I don't know if it's worth it.

I unfortunately don't have enough time to listen to really music these days sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I've been thinking about getting the latest KMFDM album, but I don't know if it's worth it.

No smile_o.gif

I had some albums of KMFDM when it was their time and it fit into my general likings, but the latest album is just crap.

It´s like they never developed any further since the "Angst" album.

I was quite curious about their new album, but it just plain sucks.

To add some spice to the music discussion:

Mike Batt - Ride to Agadir

Curtis Mayfield

Ben Harper

T.A.S.S.

Motörhead

System of a down

Consolidated

Skinny Puppy

Peter Gabriel (old stuff, but NOT Salsburry Hill !wink_o.gif

Genesis (old stuff when Peter Gabriel was singer, The Knife for example)

Jack Johnson (If you are into good guitar music, go for it !wink_o.gif

Ed Motta (Brazil god)

Stephen Stills - A child grew up on strings (Hippie Hippie)

I have most of the stuff on vinyl. I like the trend to release on vinyl again. The CD crap is not my favourite one.

Here´s a pic of part of my record collection:

sammlung1ft.jpg

I don´t know how many records and CD´s I have, but it´s 26 containers of records and a lot of CD´s. tounge2.gif

Thanks for the advice Bals !

And that's a huge collection tool smile_o.gif the good thing with vinyl is that not many friends are going to steal them biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]the good thing with vinyl is that not many friends are going to steal them

Yes but they all want copies on CD´s smile_o.gifpistols.gif

Quote[/b] ]the good thing with vinyl is that not many friends are going to steal them

Yes but they all want copies on CD´s smile_o.gifpistols.gif

That's why I need a good amplifier for my Lenco. Digital I/O would be nice... Any ideas?