red oct

Music Recommendations

My friend had all of his stuff stolen by beligians at Dour Fest last year

nice jazz stuff!  yay.gif

...and mr scruff offcourse smile_o.gif

YouTube: Scarborough Fair/Canticle

Simon & Garfunkel with Andy Williams from "The Andy Williams Show" April 24, 1968.

Stumbled over this video this afternoon and kept listening to it till now, the best version of this song I ever heard...  inlove.gif

Incredible what is possible live with just a guitar and three voices notworthy.gif  - now I wonder how to teach the guitar playing Stalkers this song  tounge2.gif

Will be a nice 'counter-touch' to all the action   icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh, one group I forgot: Beatallica!

http://www.beatallica.com/

Speaking of Beatallica, does anybody know these chaps here:

http://www.punkles.com/index_2.html

huh.gif

Betallica's once long running Guitar player lives 2 blocks from me and next door to my friend (a guitar player). He now teaches guitar a few miles from here in a music studio. An amazing guitar player... They're based out of Milwaukee and kickass wink_o.gif

Top bands:

-Older Metallica (All but St. Anger)

-Floyd

-Ozzy

-Pantera

-Megadeth

-Rush (for Neal Peart only)

(Old Picture on Betallica's website) - My friend Nick with their singer.

My guitar player & Nick with em

edit: The guitar player I was talking about (guy on top right):

200px-Beatallica_2006_small.JPG

Their original guitar player, and co-founder of the band.

Lately I've been very much into ZZ Top and acquired their album "Eliminator" not too long ago. Nice riffs and the overall sound is very good and original. I should practice playing their songs biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Some songs that I can't quite get enough atm are "Cliffs Of Dover" by Eric Johnson (really nice instrumental) and "Nutshell" by Alice In Chains.

Just thought I'd revive this thread if thats OK, as alot of good music is being released about now and people have forgotten totaly about this thread.

Would rather this thread returns to operation than a new one be started wouldn't we? If not well... Looks like I'm in for a bollocking...

Anyway,

Right now Lamb of God's latest album, Wrath, (And their first album from 1999, under the name Burn The Priest - Yes I only just got hold of it!wink_o.gif has blown my socks off and taken my feet with them, as does all their other stuff. I'm seeing them live in about 5 days and will probably die of eargasms.

Also seeing Rise Against 11 days after and Ill Nino a month or so after that.

[Edited for retarded finger syndrome (IE Typos)]

My latest findings:

Finally, after a longtime absence Grace Jones has released a new album last year that is worth a look. I like it very much, it´s smooth, arrogant and tasty smile_o.gif

Listen to excerpts here

For fans of 80´s synthes and fat Roger Troutman sound from Zapp the latest Chromeo release is a must-have. Prelisten the tracks here

Get your Miami Vice suits from the attic and buy a Ferrari smile_o.gif

lol everyone puts their favorite bands here, but yall do know thats something they obviously won't use right? tounge2.gif

Add some constructive stuff, I'd like to hear what yall really think.

I know this thread mostly circles around so-called "popular music", but I think it´s sometimes an interesting thing to take a peak into other directions of music.

When I was 11 years old an uncle of mine gave me a birthday present that I still love. 27 years later I have lately dived into my records and somehow "rediscovered" that pearl.

It´s Keith Jarrett, Köln Concert. It´s strictly piano-jazz, but if you take a peak you will be surprised how addictive it is. Listening to this record takes you on a journey and if you have the time and willingness to let this journey happen you will be rewarded with a brighter view on music and jazz as a whole.

Most people tend to run away screaming when they hear the word "jazz". After listening to this record you will understand why "Jazz" is not necessarily a bad thing.

In fact I think that this record is an alltime masterpiece as Jacksons Thriller album was.

Listen to excerpts here.

Yeah, that's really one funny video.  tounge2.gif

Did anybody mention Serj Tankian's (System of a Down) solo debut already? http://www.serjtankian.com/

nice one, I didn't notice it's been released for over a year now.

I know this thread mostly circles around so-called "popular music", but I think it´s sometimes an interesting thing to take a peak into other directions of music.

When I was 11 years old an uncle of mine gave me a birthday present that I still love. 27 years later I have lately dived into my records and somehow "rediscovered" that pearl.

It´s Keith Jarrett, Köln Concert. It´s strictly piano-jazz, but if you take a peak you will be surprised how addictive it is. Listening to this record takes you on a journey and if you have the time and willingness to let this journey happen you will be rewarded with a brighter view on music and jazz as a whole.

Most people tend to run away screaming when they hear the word "jazz". After listening to this record you will understand why "Jazz" is not necessarily a bad thing.

In fact I think that this record is an alltime masterpiece as Jacksons Thriller album was.

Listen to excerpts here.

I've just, ehm, gotten hold of a copy and must say that it's definitely worth a listen. While I wouldn't go as far as calling it a masterpiece, it's a very enjoyable piece. smile_o.gif

While we're on the subject of jazz, which is a genre I am in no way deeply engaged in, I must recommend a more modern group. So let me introduce Garage a Trois - the best French jazz trio compromised of four Americans in the world. tounge2.gif

http://www.garageatrois.com/

Hah, first time I see this thread, and im surprised how good the community's music taste is! And then I dont mean you guys listen to music I like, but that you really care about the music and are willing to listen to new unknown stuff.

Talking about unknown stuff (afaik) : I havent seen any mentioning of the great music site Last.fm here. If you want to discover new music, this is the place to go! I keeps track of tracks you listen, and creates recommendations and radio stations for you. Interesting is the Neigbour radio, that plays music from people who have an allmost similar taste to you. If you're a serious listener, last.fm is a must.

I've been using it since jun 2006 and I still visit it dayly. check out my profile on http://www.last.fm/user/rundll

And then some more about music: I just discovered Temposhark (listen free there). Its electronic pop, but somehow it stands out of the rest for me.

to be honest i would love to have all OFP musics in ARMA2 again smile_o.gif

Exactly! IF BIS own the musics why not.. wink_o.gif

I like to listen to music with guitars and lyrics that can be understood. Some of the new stuff stems from the indie genre, however 90% if indie is pop and crap.

Amon Amarth anyone?

Hell yeah ! \m/

But i liked their earlier songs though..

Also, for all you metalheads,

should be worth a shot.  smile_o.gif

I agree, particularly when it came to the vocals. They've improved over the years, especially in the depths the more recent albums go to yet still remain a unique band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MhYBGzcNMQ

For anyone that likes metal, this band is one of the great ones, though I too would recommend Bathory  smile_o.gif