Sign in to follow this  
Baphomet

Using ODOLex to convert to MLOD

Ok. So I want to use ODOL explorer to modify existing BIS models for my own personal use.

Yeah. I know that's a no no, however I really just want to modify the stock addons, since really they're on par with the detail level I need for huge missions. 300kb p3d files per weapon model in ODOL format is just a bit overbudget for what I'm doing.

What errors can I expect to have to fix when decompiling an ODOL model from the OFP DATA.pbo?

I'd probably use some of the older CWC retextures and edit those, but nobody's really released a "How to add a res compatible muzzle flash for a CWC addon: For complete dummies" tutorial.

The size of the AK74/47/SU seemed rather smallish to me. I would like to rescale them to be a bit bigger. Perhaps fiddle around with texturing.

Thing is. I don't have the time to devote to making addons like many of you here. I want something I can immediately use... that doesn't look like a flaming heap of shit.

I can tell you. Anything I make on my own, would be just that.

Excatly what models do you want to modifi cause alot of models are already out from BIS the Ak's you can fecth in the old OFP Demo(not the new version) you can get it over at OFP.info if I remember correct. And by the way I don't think BIS mind that you modifi the models as long as you don't sell them.

STGN

Those are MLOD then?

If so, that would be one problem solved.

However.

Then there's the issue of making them res compatible.

Which I don't quite know how to do.

Any tips?

Isn't that just changing the required version in the cpp?

Abs

There's also the sample BISmodels released as well to work on. It's a lot easier than trying to undo all the hassle messes that the export makes of the models.

decompiling odol p3ds with odolexplorer causes seceral problems.

a) smooth/sharpen edges are screwed up.

b) selection arent kept properly

c) vertices are doubles

d) objects are split into several sub-objects

e) eventually all faces get deleted and only vertices are left

so those who dont have p3dedit are bascialy forced to cope with those problems or to aks the authors for the original p3d

bis has some sample models that are editable

you can dwl tehm from the breath site

i think after allt that those problems above are quite positive for addon makers.

why? because it to some extend prevents theft...

and after all its more kind to ask instead of just to take something...

so those who dont have p3dedit are bascialy forced to cope with those problems or to aks the authors for the original p3d

p3dedit also has some issues on conversion. You best bet is the demo.

decompiling odol p3ds with odolexplorer causes seceral problems.

a) smooth/sharpen edges are screwed up.

b) selection arent kept properly

c) vertices are doubles

d) objects are split into several sub-objects

e) eventually all faces get deleted and only vertices are left

You're probably using an older version of OdolEx; the most recent released version does not have problems with selections and double vertices (at least I hadn't any problems).

I know only of two problems:

- smooth/sharp edges -->  bad lighting

- User Data for Faces/Vertices --> tank tracks are "shining" at night; tanks are not turning dark from damage

Both are reasonly fixable with a small amount of work. Use the object selection tool and select a small part of the model; copy this part into an empty LOD and make sharp edges were the edges are sharp smile_o.gif

Do the same for the different tank parts: Copy the left tank track into a new LOD and change the User Data accordingly (I think it was 63 for left track). Do the same for the other parts (look into the Tank-Config for correct values for UserData).

The same goes for Muzzles; change the UserData to 0, as OdolEx produces a 1 and therefore the muzzle doesn't shine.

hmm well

might be that it onyl affects soldiers (?!?)

it just doesnt really pay off to edit he whole bunch again..

specially soldiers as u need to apply weights to the vertices which are also screwed when using odolexplore of any version..

just ask for mdols...

hmm well

Odol explorer 2.44 works perfectly for soldiers. However it was a leaked version and taken offline again. I still have it myself though confused_o.gif

hmm well

Odol explorer 2.44 works perfectly for soldiers. However it was a leaked version and taken offline again. I still have it myself though  confused_o.gif

indeed the leaked version I got it too works great wink_o.gif

Hi guys, I thought to step in. But before we even begin, please, please lets not turn this into "THEFT" topic, its waste of everyones time.

ODOL Explorer (OdEx) v2.44. Yeah it was eaked, but not in a serious way, kind of like big mistake, not any harm intended. New OdEx is on its way, but basically its just to clear the "leak" version numbering etc. Of course I'll try to get in any fixes possible.

Okay so yeah I believe there are some problems when doing MLOD save on the v2.44, for example I've been battling this problem for some time:

UnitFaceTextureProblem-01.jpg

Vektorboson I believe touched this subject already, is this the same face texture issue?

In Oxygen / buldozer the unit looks just fine, but in OFP it turns out like that. Face seems to be the one bearded type, while I believe the random face is smeared all over the body as seen on the image.

ah... thanks for inadvertantly answering my question.

after my harddrive quit, i reinstalled everything and got odolex 2.0 instead. Ive been trying to make some crew out of safety's marines and cbt crew helmets all day, and i kept ending up with the head sticking out of the guys ass. 2.44 fixed that right up.

just for fun check out the results you get converting the same model with 2.0 and 2.44, 2.0 totally fucks them up.

Depening on the face (poly) count of the model you're converting, e.g. a high-poly weapon model from my pack, you may also experience issues with the LODs on the model. Say for example you convert a weapon model with a total of 7 LODs (0.350, 1.50, 4.50, 6.00, 9.00, Memory and View - Pilot), after converting to MLOD using ODOL Explorer (even v 2.44) you'll more than likely end up with a model with 0.350 and 4 or 5 LODs with 4.50 as their resolution and the Memory and View - Pilot lods. This varies on the model used however.

@snake man and other odolex devs

its nice that youve taken the initaive to create such a tool

but dont you see wot it immideatelly creates?

theft..

i know odol ex has the intention to learn form other modelers

but be aware that these authors taht created such models

invest a lot of time into them.

i dont like my stuff seen in other addons without even knowing about it..

its far more kind of asking and shows respect to the original author.

wot if you ask for a model and the original author says no?

with a new fixed odol ex ud just grab the model and thats it

even if the author says no..

in my opinon that whole odolex is really just a bad idea..

just stop the developement of it..

anyone whos the same opinion knows wot im talking about..

and there a lots of people im sure...

@snake man and other odolex devs

its nice that youve taken the initaive to create such a tool

but dont you see wot it immideatelly creates?

theft..

i know odol ex has the intention to learn form other modelers

but be aware that these authors taht created such models

invest a lot of time into them.

i dont like my stuff seen in other addons without even knowing about it..

its far more kind of asking and shows respect to the original author.

wot if you ask for a model and the original author says no?

with a new fixed odol ex ud just grab the model and thats it

even if the author says no..

in my opinon that whole odolex is really just a bad idea..

just stop the developement of it..

anyone whos the same opinion knows wot im talking about..

and there a lots of people im sure...

This has been discussed and overdiscussed since the very beginning and often resulted in flame wars. There are a few things in favour of such a tool for example it allows for a fast way to learn for beginners and access to other better base BIS models (whats the difference if u take a model out of the demo as a base or out of resistance?). Of cource theft is an issue but the way I see it there is no way of prevention anyway. People who want to steal will always find a way to do so.

Thus we'll just have to put in our faith that the community is mature enough to recognise it and stop tollerating theft.

the only reason i've ever used Odol is because we at UKF lost the original P3D's of the landrover addons (HD crash) and hence had no choice but to Odol our addons with 2.0 (i never got hold of 2.44)

this of course led to those problems with double vertexes, screwed up selections and lighting, bad LOD's etc

any improvement on 2.0 that fixes these issues would come as a huge benefit to the community, not a plague. Stolen work is easy to notice, and always brought out into the open - the community isnt very tollerant with thieves smile_o.gif

the only reason i've ever used Odol is because we at UKF lost the original P3D's of the landrover addons (HD crash) and hence had no choice but to Odol our addons with 2.0 (i never got hold of 2.44)

this of course led to those problems with double vertexes, screwed up selections and lighting, bad LOD's etc

any improvement on 2.0 that fixes these issues would come as a huge benefit to the community, not a plague. Stolen work is easy to notice, and always brought out into the open - the community isnt very tollerant with thieves  smile_o.gif

Another obviously useful outcome biggrin_o.gif

any improvement on 2.0 that fixes these issues would come as a huge benefit to the community, not a plague. Stolen work is easy to notice, and always brought out into the open - the community isnt very tollerant with thieves smile_o.gif

Another obviously useful outcome biggrin_o.gif

hehehe... although one that should never have to happen - must remember to always back up work tounge2.gif

Sorry nephilim, got great respect for you and other addon makers of your caliber ..... but I gotta disagree.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:DarkRed'>My addons are a product of ODOLex !</span></span>

Got your attention? good, let me explain.

I am not a student of the 3D world, I am not a guy how has 10 hours a day to waste playing either the game or with O2 .... I work hard 12 hours a day to support a family BUT I <span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:DarkRed'>LOVE</span></span> contributing to a community like this community.

How can I do this with so little time?

I examine the inner workings of other peoples addons and LEARN.

Tools like ODOLex allow me to learn fast and then start my own projects to put those learnings into place.

No one here could say they taught themselves everything they needed to know to make an ofp addon, except maybe the BIS guys themselves smile_o.gif  wheather be it just a little or a lot, other people created part of our own learnings.

Sorry .... I didnt really want to say all this, except I feel this whole flexibility is what make OFP and the OFP community so strong after all these years.

God, how often did we had this discussion.. wink_o.gif

Here's my uncensored opinion to all you "oh-my-god-somebody-could-steal-my-work" addon makers:

THER WILL NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER, BE ANY PROTECTION AGAINST THEFT OF INTELECTUAL OR ACTUAL EXISTING PROPERTY!

Not even the big game developers can do that - so why should we be able to do it??

SO either you accept that or you go into your small corner and continue crying there.. tounge2.gif

ODOLEx may have led to some actual thefts of addons. But it was a much bigger help in develloping skillz! Many of the addons which are released now, are made by addon makers who learned from other's work.

Now those of you who are always crying about it: show me real convincing examples were addons were stolen and used in an abussive way..

Every one of you guys out there has at one point or another looked closer to the work of our fellow addon makers. Moreover, take for example BIS: if they would have made the game in a way were noone could have accessed their game resources we wouldn't even have a flashpoint community with all those addons! But maybe some of you are not long enough with us to know that we started hacking old MLOD models from the demo with really unhandy tools.. smile_o.gif

Protecting developments only lead to the fact that further development cease to exist. Not convinced? Just take a look at what the whole software patent idea went..

Amen biggrin_o.gif

ODOLex is a fantastic tool, i learned a very lot by using it on ODOL BIS models that were not a part of the MLOD model pack , and by looking at how some pioneer and talented people made some of their addon.

Without ODOLex, and despite all the usefull tutorials i read , i highly doubt i would have made the open source DMA M202A1 from scratch like i did, with the model special, the sight alignement, the shadows , the exact place on the shoulder etc...

the community isnt very tollerant with thieves smile_o.gif

I really hope so - I discovered last week that some people have stolen parts of our static railway addon. Just some new textures and moving the whole thing around in O2. pistols.gif

I'm pretty pissed... crazy_o.gif