Sign in to follow this  
Ranger99

New Editings Tutorials

Hi everyone, My team and I are currently working on creating new tutorials for Mission Editing. First we are starting with the basics of mission editing. From units, gruops, waypoitns, triggers, sycronization, markers etc.

Someone is already working on the units tutorail. I think I'm going to start the grouping tutorial. Now I know there is a lot when you hit F2 (GROUP) in the mission editor interface. THere is a lot you can do with that, but I dont really know a ton. Now assuming that I were to know everything grouping, could somone please tell me everything I need to write about in the grouping tutorial if I were to create one?

Like every single different part of it. Thanks all...

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/browse.php?category=1_1

OFPEC - A Compilation of OFP Tutorials by Rob, Hangfyre, RED, snYpir

Quote[/b] ]

Trigger Activated by certain unit

Getting a trigger activated by a certain unit.

1. Create the person that you want to activate the trigger place him anywhere for now

2. Make a trigger then group it with the person you just created, with the F2 button held drag from the man and drop on top of the trigger, if it worked a blue line should of just appeared going from the trigger to the man.

3. Put : hint "Trigger has been activated" in the triggers on activation field.

4. give the man a waypoint to the trigger and it should become active when he enters it.

OFPEC - A beginner's guide to mission editing by macguba

Quote[/b] ]

Groups - this has four different functions. It allows you to place a whole group in one go, without having to create each unit individually. This can be a useful shortcut. It also allows you to combine individual soldiers into groups by using your mouse to draw a line between them: click and hold over one loon, and drop the end of the line on the other loon. Easy. The third function is to link a group to a Trigger, in a similar manner. The last (and least common) use is to group a unit to one or more markers: the game will choose a random start position for the unit from either its placed position or the marker positions. People sometimes talk about Groups (or Markers) mode, it just means that the Groups (or Markers) button is selected.

and so on... icon_rolleyes.gif

I've got the feeling I know your editing team (/site)... it's Nightjay's, isn't it?

Anybody understands some of the problems I saw now?

After I searched all this for you, while you said you are making this tutorial, let me ask you to upload your tutorial at OFPEC later, please. As you see it's a good place to find all the things you'll ever need to know for common tutorials.

I still don't understand the concept of your new site. You know about OFPEC, but instead of saying "we make good tutorials ect. with our team, and offer them at the central point of the OFP editing community" you're only redoing OFPEC from scratch.

I'm a little confused, you say you are writing a tutorial about groups, ok good. But you want some/everyone else to tell you every little detail about your chosen topic. This is not writing a tutorial, it's compiling one at best. confused_o.gif

Cap.

Although I appreciate all your replies. Just to let you all know, I've never created a tutorial before. I'm basically looking for some advice, and help on creating one, like maybe what is to be expected from the tutorial?

You could read the ones mentioned above and look what still could be done better and base the new tutorial on it. But this should be done for the whole tutorial planed ("OFP Missioneditor Tutorial"?), not only for 'groups'.

I've never seen a good manual concentrating on the possibilities of the editor only and nothing else. It would be really usefull as the first tutorial for newbs who don't have other questions. That would make it unique, and I think that's important for tutorials.

Also there are some guidlines in your OFPEC profile (if you have one) how tutorials should be done.

One thing you have to accept is, that you're putting the cart before the horse. - The best OFP tutorials out there were created by peoples who worked hard to create a special ofp mission/script first.

They looked into original OFP missions, in good custom missions, while learning everything on their own about the secrets. With this new knowledge they finished their mission then, and it featured things never seen before.

After that maybe they gracefully decided to create a tutorial of their new knowledge, knowing exactly what to write. They only had to think about the right format.

If they didn't write a tutorial someone else did it later, but still someone who learned the new knowledge through private study.

Your attempt goes the other direction. You start working on a tutorial, to learn about everything you want to know for it.