Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

Build your own sentry gun

Quote[/b] ]Most of my software had been tested in my room with the small turret. To test outside, we had to drag my huge (and ancient) 1.5ghz, 512meg RDRAM computer to the backyard. [...] When I originally wrote the software, I added code so it would use the Microsoft speech API to say "Freeze" and offer various instructions to a target that it had acquired. At the end of 5 seconds, if the target moved 20 pixels in either direction, it would fire. The speech synthesizer was too much for my computer and it would stutter, entirely missing (rather important) commands and freezing the computer up. I'm sure multithreading will help with this particular problem, but for testing we turned off the speech synthesizer and left on the delayed firing that waited until the target moved.

Oh dear, did they ever hear of the term technique "real time"? Small hint: multithreading will not fix the problem, but a change of operating system would... banghead.gif

Uhh.. why the hell does he use the bloated speech API for just saying "freeze!"?

Can't he afford a microphone or something? tounge2.gif

Because he doesn't know how to play a soundfile? Remember: he's complaining that a 1.5 GHz machine isn't fast enough to control the turret, that should tell you everything...

banghead.gif

funny, clever enough to make a sentry gun, not clever enough to know that.

Because he doesn't know how to play a soundfile? Remember: he's complaining that a 1.5 GHz machine isn't fast enough to control the turret, that should tell you everything...

banghead.gif

Quite. Guess he should go tell the same to NASA engineers that have sent stuff to space with 086s in them.. tounge2.gif

Quite. Guess he should go tell the same to NASA engineers that have sent stuff to space with 086s in them.. tounge2.gif

Perhaps they should try a VIA Mini-ITX-Board plus a decent OS. With proper C/C++ coding that ought to be enough for image processing...

And no, my Mini-ITX music box is not finished yet. You know, much to do... Although I got a case from an old french amplifier I am still thinking about the user interface. Most likely I will not use the 20x4 lcd and buy a small touchscreen instead. Btw does anyone now if there's a java binding for SVGAlib?

yay.gif <- Bananaman rules!