Sign in to follow this  
FischKopp

Airport Runways

After i had spend some time with doing angled runway tex, used as ground tex, i decided to go an other way. Therefore i decided to make it like in VBS1. There the runways normal road objects.

And here is the result.

Air1.jpg

Air2.jpg

It should be a part of the USMC Mod of Armed Assault i working on but i decided to release this stuff maybe, if needed now, cos it is only a small thing.

BTW: ILS stuff isn´t tested on these ...

thats a cool idea Fishkopp..

looks very nice too smile_o.gif

wonder why more ppl hasnt made runways with road objects....

looks very nice in the map view also, very helpful for mission editors smile_o.gif

(edit), maybe i should spell your nick the right way also.

/me ticks off engine limitation nr. 2589

great thumbs-up.gif

I just hope ILS coordinates can handle such a landing pattern

Guest RKSL-Rock

Ive seen this done already on a few islands - North Devon by CBFASI is one.

Quote[/b] ]It should be a part of the USMC Mod of Armed Assault i working on but i decided to release this stuff maybe, if needed now, cos it is only a small thing.

BTW: ILS stuff isn´t tested on these ...

I could certainly make use of it  thumbs-up.gif

Its about time more map makers actually design a proper looking Military airfield/airport/airbase, this one looks very good.  Though it needs a radar, a control tower, and an admin building (large airbases).  For those in general, if you need good examples, pay attention to the way most airbases look like in most modern Combat Flight Sims.

I know Col Klink made a HAS, but it was one with maintance facilities inside, I was wondering if anyone has or is making a Hardened aircraft shelter that allows the aircraft to enter from the rear and exit from the front.

One last comment, there needs to be a consenus on how map makers are going to build military airfields/airbases.  Perhaps some tutorials on effective design and aircraft combat sim airbase pictures or some pictures of real life airbases NATO and Soviet design.

Very interesting idea.

And also very useful in missions, as you can see them on the tactical map.

But it still looks a bit too rectangular and narrow, especially the curves. I'd like to see wide curved taxiways to allow for better taxying even with bigger planes and for a more realistic look..

Hope to see this released soon with a bit more variety in shape and size.

Guest RKSL-Rock
... I was wondering if anyone has or is making a Hardened aircraft shelter that allows the aircraft to enter from the rear and exit from the front.

Yup, 3 different kinds + colours

... One last comment, there needs to be a consenus on how map makers are going to build military airfields/airbases.  Perhaps some tutorials on effective design and aircraft combat sim airbase pictures or some pictures of real life airbases NATO and Soviet design.

I think if people really want to make proper bases they will, its up to them to research it and make it a reality - i dont think anyone will sign up to a standard. Once some island makers start making islands with more realistic features the rest of the community will follow.

... that´s only a example i used. If people use Google earth they can find a lot of good examples ...

And ... why we need rounder/ longer curvers ... this is not a bomber simulation ... only small aircrafts tounge2.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Last time I tried it, ILS only worked for North-South runways.

STT

it does unfortunately but you can get the AI to take off from them as CBFASI's north devon proves, which atleast provides another option for the AI to use.  Add that to UNN's ATC system adn there are a lot of possibilities.   huh.gif

Looks very good !!! Battling Bitch made some landing strips as road object for my island Anjou too (WWII style) and this is far better to handle than textures.

With ILS, I tested it on my island and found out that it is only working N-S directions. So if you you want to get it used by AI, it seems to be the only direcion which is possible.

I might be wrong.

But hey, diagonal directions could be used for example for a second airport on an island, because AI can only handle one airport ingame. SO second one could be interessting for MP missions, or if player starts or lands an aircraft etc...

Cheers,

OFP_PUPSI

Ive seen this done already on a few islands - North Devon by CBFASI is one.

Mine although is invisiable roads use to held show up a texture based airport on the map without the text view (ie in game map view!wink_o.gif.

The Falkland Runways on the other hand do actaully use this method.

Its about time more map makers actually design a proper looking Military airfield/airport/airbase, this one looks very good.  Though it needs a radar, a control tower, and an admin building (large airbases).  For those in general, if you need good examples, pay attention to the way most airbases look like in most modern Combat Flight Sims.

I know Col Klink made a HAS, but it was one with maintance facilities inside, I was wondering if anyone has or is making a Hardened aircraft shelter that allows the aircraft to enter from the rear and exit from the front.

One last comment, there needs to be a consenus on how map makers are going to build military airfields/airbases.  Perhaps some tutorials on effective design and aircraft combat sim airbase pictures or some pictures of real life airbases NATO and Soviet design.

I agree 100%

And I also think somebody should make something like a pack with airport textures that work, and have variation. Currently all you do is open another .pbo but that's no good because most maps dont have nice textures so by copying more maps get the single bis runway with simple taxiway for instance...

I wish i could find some really nice looking desert runway textures. Most textures have a piece of land to connect to the surrounding cells. I need something in desert not green.

Im currently figuring out how to do it, but first tests didnt work... Maybee there is somebody who knows such a pack allready in existance. Ive got allot of addons but ive never seen a GOOD desert runway pack, or well airport ground texture pack.

But to get back on the real topic that looks great many airports and airbases have pieces that run diagonal. Maybee you could make some more turns and extra taxiways...?

keep it up!

I wish i could find some really nice looking desert runway textures.

leone, has released a pack some time ago. check this page. IIRC, those textures were used on Tonal..

and, don't forget the ACES texture pack whistle.gif

Here are some shoots of Air Force bases. Two located in the USA and one in the United Arabic Emirats.

Beale AFB

Barksdale AFB

AL Dhafra

The AFB located in desert foreign territory looks like the OPGWC ones. I tried something new and used the AFB in Anchorage as a sample ...

Only problem with the OPGWC HAS is that they are 8000+ polys  sad_o.gif

4435 for the two door version in LOD 2.500, with a further 4 LODs.

4251 for the two door version in LOD 2.500, with a further 4 LODs.

I still lurk here occassionally wink_o.gif

I made a half scale Airbase for OPGWC a loooong time ago. Took up 1/4 of an island. Desert runways and all. Deset Runways can be found on Fileplanet.

Guest RKSL-Rock

Sorry i should have said verticies

Vertices = 8724

Faces/Polys = 4435

Textures = 47

In the first res lod, and since the OFP engine is more concerned with vertices...