Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

Lost World Mod

Like others I am really digging this game. Its helarious when you're in the prone position and those little dinosaurs gang up on you and bite the crap out of you.

But the really scary ones are those velociraptors (named something else in the game) or whatever they are, that do the jump attack with that big switchblade claw. I made a rescue mission where a squad of those dinosaurs ambushed my squad in thick vegitation. It was insane and VERY VERY scary. They move so fast that I couldn't get a bead on them and one would leap out of the bushes on one of my men and take him out. My men were rapidly disappearing so I made a run for it with my remaining men. But because I was using the "hunting" trigger from the example mission, they hunted us down unitl I was the last one left. I tried to hide in the lodge and I thought I was safe.... then I heard that shriek behind me and BAM... one apparently got inside and killed me. I nearly pee'ed myself. I had never been that scared playing an OFP game. lol

I must say, fantastic atmosphere and awesome island. Its just beautiful and worth using for regular OFP missions as well. Yeah at times it is a tad laggy, but overall not unplayable or anything.

So keep up the awesome work!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Like others I am really digging this game.  Its helarious when you're in the prone position and those little dinosaurs gang up on you and bite the crap out of you.  

But the really scary ones are those velociraptors (named something else in the game) or whatever they are, that do the jump attack with that big switchblade claw.  I made a rescue mission where a squad of those dinosaurs ambushed my squad in thick vegitation.  It was insane and VERY VERY scary.  They move so fast that I couldn't get a bead on them and one would leap out of the bushes on one of my men and take him out.  My men were rapidly disappearing so I made a run for it with my remaining men.  But because I was using the "hunting" trigger from the example mission, they hunted us down unitl I was the last one left.  I tried to hide in the lodge and I thought I was safe.... then I heard that shriek behind me and BAM... one apparently got inside and killed me.  I nearly pee'ed myself.  I had never been that scared playing an OFP game. lol  

I must say, fantastic atmosphere and awesome island.  Its just beautiful and worth using for regular OFP missions as well.  Yeah at times it is a tad laggy, but overall not unplayable or anything.    

So keep up the awesome work!  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Lol... i'm gonna try it biggrin_o.gif

Btw, in the movie what's called velociraptors are deynonichus..

the real velociraptors were kinda smaller wink_o.gif

after quick search deynonichus ~1m50 tall, velociraptor ~1m25 wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Btw, in the movie what's called velociraptors are deynonichus..

I thought they were Uthoraptors huh.gif

lol oh well downloading now biggrin_o.gif

Downloading now. biggrin_o.gif I tried an earlier beta and was very impressed. smile_o.gif

It's not new beta.I'm not from Lost world mod.I used their addons to make the C Site island wink_o.gif

The deinonychus are actually larger than Velociraptors. From the information I've read, they were separated by continents and by time periods.

Velociraptors being an average five to six feet long, and three feet tall...

Whereas Deinonychus was a significantly taller and longer, around 10 feet long and five feet high.

Apparently they exaggerated the size of the Velociraptor for the movie Jurassic park. However judging by the size of them in the mod. They would be Deinonychus. Velociraptors would be smaller, but faster.

According to my childhood knowledge of dinosaurs(It's one of those phases you go through), the JP Velociraptor is accurate. I distinctly remember that the Deinonychus was the smaller one. I remember reading this in several different books...

To my knowledge the Utahraptor was a signifigantly larger raptor.

all i know is that they tore the hell out of my humvee, can't wait for an update, this is one bad ass mod, good work

Wow, great work  biggrin_o.gif

This is really impressive. Great new textures, objects, and island. The dino animations are really convincing.

I'm gonna record some nice dino sounds for you guys thumbs-up.gif

Suggestions:

* The sounds are nice but I suggest you really go to town on them. More variety from each dino and apply a bit of echo.

* AI scripting. There are some great AI scripts available that you might be able to adapt for dinos! Eg. AI Infoshare and SquadRushby General Barron, Tracking by Bullmarket, Hunted by Skumball, Sneakup by Kronzky. You can get all these here.

* How about a "grazing" script for the herbivorous dinos? Dinos could have a list of plant objects they'll "eat", and on initiation will scan for the nearest of those objects and move towards them. It might even be possible to get "herding", where a dino calls when it reaches the object and the location becomes known to all dinos of the same type (predators could also hear the calls of course). ...Just dreaming out loud biggrin_o.gif

Cheers,

CH

Quote[/b] ]According to my childhood knowledge of dinosaurs(It's one of those phases you go through), the JP Velociraptor is accurate. I distinctly remember that the Deinonychus was the smaller one. I remember reading this in several different books...

To my knowledge the Utahraptor was a signifigantly larger raptor.

Nope just blew the dust off my old childhood dino book and it said that the velociraptor was the height of an average adults knee. Not sure about the Deinonychus but I know the Uthoraptor was deffinatly the biggest raptor.

Anyways... extrememly good work guys, I was just chased in my humvee by a load of raptors, bastards got me aswell banghead.gifhelp.gif

hehe

sim

You should use Weird Al's "Jurrasic Park" song as the title music tounge2.gif

(Ha ha ha)

But seriously, consider it!

From Wikipedia:

Quote[/b] ]Velociraptor is well-known in its role as a vicious and cunning killer from the novel and movie Jurassic Park. The "raptors" portrayed there were modelled after a larger relative, Deinonychus. While the movie was in production, the discovery of Utahraptor confirmed that even larger dromaeosaurids did in fact exist. The raptors depicted in the Jurassic Park films are scientifically inaccurate in numerous ways. Among the inaccuracies:

* Their size does not correspond closely to Velociraptor or any known dromaeosaur. (Deinonychus was smaller and Utahraptor was larger.)

* They were covered in scales. (As of this date no evidence of body scales has been reported for any maniraptoran dinosaur. It is more likely that they were covered in feathers, though evidence for feathers does not yet exist for all species. However, the film was created in the early 1990s, when this was not known for certain.)

* Their arms/hands did not closely resemble those of real dromaeosaurs, and their tails were too short and too flexible.