Sign in to follow this  
twisted

weapon creation limitations?

what are the limitations in defining weapons in ofp that you would like to see changed in game3?

things like

Quote[/b] ]As for mags and gun handling...that's just how OFP does it. All guns that fire a 5.56/30rnd mag are going to have the same handling. Same goes for all the types. Hopefully weapon dynamics are assigned to the gun in Game2 insead of the magazine.
by gatordev

(which if changed would allow guns that use the same magazines to still have individual handling characteristics like the g3 and m14 for example).

besides the above my want is weapon specific aimprecision.

Aimprecision is one of the greatest setting in ofp IMO for achieving good realism in handling weapons.

general barron made a great set of values when he was experimenting for ECP settings. nice ref

but aimprecision needs an upgrade. specifically to allow it to be weapon specific.

that way the 'aimprecision' you get while standing with an m16 will be far more controllable than that when holding an m240. but a prone m240 with bipod out will be quite steady.

to be clear - i am suggestion a per stance aimprecision modifier that could be defined in the weapon class. so an m240 could have 3 extra values in its weapon class for example... 'standingprecision + 4', 'crouchprecision + 2' and 'proneprecision + 0.1'. of course the greater the value here the more the weapon wobbles on screen.

PS - breathing control would be a solution to aimprecision getting in snipers way. sorta like the way mouselook does now but only for a few seconds.

All I always wanted is the realistic weapon handling in terms of:

1. loading (Different for every weapon)

2. Carrying position (Different for every weapon)

3. weapon stances (sniper sitting position for example)

4. FPS view without gun pointed out at all times but the way one would really keep it.

5. Various aiming capabilities (SPR with sniper scope + reflex sight)

6. realistic hits.

-The ability to fire multiple projectiles at once (i.e. shotgun)

-Different weapon handling, like field, CQB, & sniper.  They all move the weapon a bit different, the arcs of movement get tighter to the body for close in, snipers use their fingertips (or bipod) more for fine tuning.  Not talking about animation (though that will probably need to be done to some extent, I'd imagine), but speed versus precision and how much the weapon moves with/seperate from the body.

just thought of more.

per weapon stance specific recoil modifiers. ie. less recoil in prone than standing. this is a big one to me. no reason a weapons recoil while standing should be the same when prone/ supported.

use of actual weapon physical statistics as inputs. ie. weight as Kg's, etc

per weapon stance specific recoil modifiers. ie. less recoil in prone than standing. this is a big one to me. no reason a weapons recoil while standing should be the same when prone/ supported.

I dont know if this is the case in the original game, but I know that in Mods like FFUR the recoil is significantly lower when prone.

Another one -> the way disposable rocket launchers like the LAW or RPG-18 are dealt with. Currently theres only two options. One is the unrealistic way in which its treated like a reloadable launcher. This is the only way we can have multiple shots. The more relaistic way is if the soldier is scripted to drop the launcher after hes fired but in that way he only can have one rocket. So, what we need is a combination of the both ie. the launcher is diposed of, but the soldier can then pull out a new one. I think this could easily be solved by a better inventory system, as I suggested in the Inventory tread, something like H&D2's system would be good.

Oh another thing, greandes. Wtf is the deal with the grenades aiming in OFP banghead.gif Theyre more dangerous to you than they are to the enemy.

i think everything in ofp when it comes to firearms is good as it is biggrin_o.gif i just hope they don't over do it FDF recoil style tounge2.gif

But... i would like to have in mission editor or in mp vote or dialogue menu to choose if weapons should be able to be reloaded while moving or only while standing still. And also laser pointers , flash lights be able to have on rifles , guns.

And also that you see the weapon , magazine type when thrown on the ground or floor or in a small water slick instead of the ugly ammo bag thingy that is present with most magazines today. Also being able to break the weapons like in alien vs predator 2. Like if you throw a handgrenade near a rifle thats on the ground it would have a certain percentage of chance of getting dammage dor destroyed and therefor unusable crazy_o.giftounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Just those ideas i had, maybe a default key on the keyboard to hit soldiers , cars doors i dunno with your rifle or hand gun present or if you don't got any weapons in hands you would kick or try to use your hands to hit something. But it would be cool to use a rifle to smash open a door wow_o.gif

But it would be cool to use a rifle to smash open a door  wow_o.gif

lol

Just one thing m8, have you ever tryed to open a door that way?

Hey, Ive just thought about this:

If I have 10 rounds left in chamber and a box with 25 rounds, when reloading I must detach the 10 rounds box and attach the 25 rounds box to the gun so the gun is 25 rounds reloaded. But I remember that, in OFP each time reloading will fill the gun to full, to 30 round, isnt it? If I take bullets out from the 10 box to fill the 25 box, it will take alot of time

IMHO next game must record the number of bullets left on each mag box, if I all have approximate 20 rounds boxes so I cant reload the gun to 30. Each time a menu appear and I must choose which one to reload, the box has 10 rounds, 15 rounds or 25 rounds, etc

Sorry if this kind of reload was in OFP expansions already

Actually Le Minh Duc OFP "remembers" how many bullets you have left in its magazine and it does not fill the magazines like other games.It always reloads the magazine with the most ammo in it.

Aye he's right. That's why I tend to finish off a half empty mag or something before reloading then pick up a new mag if I can. I hardly ever reload mid mag like I do in other games for this very reason.

Aye he's right. That's why I tend to finish off a half empty mag or something before reloading then pick up a new mag if I can. I hardly ever reload mid mag like I do in other games for this very reason.

Same, in games like Deus Ex or Soldier Of Fortune I used to reload after kill, unless I was engaging muliple enemies. OFP's system really makes you think about tactical reloads, its also much more realistic; its hardly as if soldiers are gona start pulling ammo out of mags and putting into others when theres bullets whizzing by their heads pistols.gif

Well, making animations for each weapons you make is possible in ofp too. Invasion is already doing it with their MP40 and MiG is doing it with his chainsaw. But it's damn hard to do it

1. Support for suppressed versions of weapons without having to code new magazines.

2. Certian options defined in weapons vs magazine classnames to be swapped or included in both.

3. A way to change and get the ammo amount of a magazine in scripting.

4. Weapons that have more object-like properties.