Sign in to follow this  
MaxS

AI and Cover Fire

Hey there I've been away from OFP for a long long time now =( but looking over the various mods available these days I've noticed that there have been some improvements made to the AI.

Now this really interested me, much more so than the graphics improvements (which by the way I am in no way bashing.. amazing work guys!!wink_o.gif because good AI for me has always been a very important part of the immersion aspect.

So my quesion is this: What exactly are the improvements to the AI? What new capabilities have they been given??

I'm really curious though whether the machine gunners actually lay down covering fire now. This is something that has always bothered me about flashpoint - machine gunners act just like riflemen. Has any fix been implemented to change this?

Thanks in advance for any responses =D.

you should try the VME CQB units, they are great, altough a bit laggy smile_o.gif

....and MaxS was never heard from again whistle.gif .

if you're intrested in immersion ECP offers AI improvement (less then VMe though) , and also some... "neato" stuff, try it out, I say no more wink_o.gif

The VME are only laggy on average PCs if you put 4+ groups down.. Putting 2 groups down doesn't slow it down anymore than putting the same ammount of normal soldiers down.. Atleast I've seen no difference in performance

ECP's the same, but the AI improvements are far less obvious than VME (ECP = improved AI, VME = Scarey AI tounge2.gif)

- Ben

The VME are only laggy on average PCs if you put 4+ groups down.. Putting 2 groups down doesn't slow it down anymore than putting the same ammount of normal soldiers down.. Atleast I've seen no difference in performance

ECP's the same, but the AI improvements are far less obvious than VME (ECP = improved AI, VME = Scarey AI tounge2.gif)

- Ben

well, it depends on your PC ofcourse, but i like large scale missions so that is a problem sometimes wink_o.gif

and to be honest.., i didnt notice any improvents in the ECP AI, except that my AI leader kept screaming the same thing each second... confused_o.gif

ECP = Improved AI and there by gaming expirence

WME = Improved gaming expirence I don't realy consider it and AI improvement

You should try both and see what you like best I personaly prefers ECP.

STGN

Quote[/b] ]WME = Improved gaming expirence I don't realy consider it and AI improvement

If you play with them much online you'll know what DBR_ONIX means. They can be a bit scary. tounge2.gif

WME = Improved gaming expirence I don't realy consider it and AI improvement

meh.., just place them in the middle of a town, and put their mode on combat in the editor. Then you will see that they will break their stupid wedge formation and find a good place to stand, and they will trow smokegrenades and ask for artillery when needed..

IMO it is a shame that you cant use them in the original campaign, but thats possible with ECP   smile_o.gif

Ah now I'm getting sad because I hear people talking about lag on "mid-range" pc's.

Well.. my once great system is as follows:

Athlon 1800+ XP

512 DDR Ram

Geforce 3 Ti 500

gasp it sounds so weak these days! lol

What kind of performance can i expect if I just install VME on top of regular resistance and no other graphics enhancements etc?

(P.S. there are too many friggin graphics enhancements to choose from I feel lost... not to mention the animation packs... and the engine upgrades... and I dont even have any idea what the cfg does... any help would be appreciated lol)

P.P.S I've been sort of itching to replay resistance again (and possibly flashpoint but ive played it like 50 billion times as i'm sure all of you have haha) What GFX upgrades are best for replaying the old campaigns? (while still being set in 1985)

Do these AI addons work for the older campaigns?

Also for the graphics upgrade advice -- I'm not looking for anything too fancy I dont want to go around downloading skandanavian units or whatever, what I sort of have in mind is just a graphical upgrade of the original units and terrain? I don't know if such a thing exists honest to god I've been searching the forum but theres so many addons I don't know where to start.

And thanks again guys for so much help!! From my personal experience I think I can say that only the Falcon 4 Community comes anywhere close to the level of goodwill and help people here show to the little guys =D.

One last question I can't seem to find an answer to: So many of these custom missions (and those dynamic ones that look so enticing!wink_o.gif seem to use a slew of necessary unit upgrades and stuff... which is fine I'm sure it makes the missions even better.

I'm just wondering, can I have all these upgrades installed at once to play the diff missions or will they all start to override eachother? Will they affect the original campaigns? I know these must be some really noob questions but I've never really gotten into any of the addons besides just the missions released a long time ago that didnt require additional units =D.

Oh also I'm just looking for the singple player experience so the multiplayer upgrades would kind of be nil to me =\

you PC will handle a few groupes of VME units, i got almost the same system smile_o.gif

anyway, for unit replacements i would recommend Y2K3

also, you should look for gandalf the white's starters topic, of wich i cant find the link right now tounge2.gif

Y2K3 rocks if you want to modernise the campaign....but i think you said you wanted to keep things back in '85 right?

Best waiting for FFUR then. smile_o.gif

yeah I do want to keep it 1985 thanks guys =)

What about the AI upgrades? Do they apply to the original campaigns too?

They do if you use ECP. By the way, if you're not following all these acronyms, just say. wink_o.gif

Well from what I've read on the forum ECP seems largely ineffective as far as AI goes and the other one is supposedly (not bashing at all just haven't seen for myself yet) very good. But that one doesn't work with the originals?

Questions about addons/mods belong in Addons & Mods : Discussion, moving smile_o.gif