Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

Do You want PunkBuster in Armed Assault?

Sure, Ill host a "Great list of cheaters" page including screenshot and IP/CD-key for servers to be updated.

One problem might be making the IP's and CD keys publicly available.. i believe thats illegal. But this way is definetly the way to go, all other file checking solutions fail and scaning files from all the players conected to a server sounds a little too much for the server, especially since Arma will handle a large number of players.

Not the cd-key but the player id generated from the cd-key which cannot be converted back to cd-key (you wouldn't probably get the whole cd-key even if you had the correct algorithm).

I really must support the idea of BIS making their own anti-cheat system, but in order to do that they would have to do a LOT of research into how game hacks are made. i.e. memory hacking, DirectX hooking and engine hooking. I think it would take at least a year to R&D a comprehensive anti-cheat system.

On the other hand, Punkbuster would be a waste of time and resources. Not only has Punkbuster been hacked to pieces by game hackers, but all games protected by Punkbuster become immediate targets for the hackers that hack other Punkbuster games.

Also if the PBSS(Punkbuster screenshot) has been disabled in all the other Punkbuster protected games, there is no reason at all that the same couldn't be done with a different version of the in game screenshot type of protection.

Obviously, some sort of anti-cheat software IS needed, but unfortunately nothing currently exists that can realisticly stop the cheaters.

The only decent thing currently available is the ability for an admin to follow a player around in game and judge if they are playing legit.

I really must support the idea of BIS making their own anti-cheat system, but in order to do that they would have to do a LOT of research into how game hacks are made. i.e. memory hacking, DirectX hooking and engine hooking. I think it would take at least a year to R&D a comprehensive anti-cheat system.

On the other hand, Punkbuster would be a waste of time and resources. Not only has Punkbuster been hacked to pieces by game hackers, but all games protected by Punkbuster become immediate targets for the hackers that hack other Punkbuster games.

Also if the PBSS(Punkbuster screenshot) has been disabled in all the other Punkbuster protected games, there is no reason at all that the same couldn't be done with a different version of the in game screenshot type of protection.

Obviously, some sort of anti-cheat software IS needed, but unfortunately nothing currently exists that can realisticly stop the cheaters.

The only decent thing currently available is the ability for an admin to follow a player around in game and judge if they are playing legit.

As a game server administer for a ISP, i have had to remove games where the anticheat is not updated anymore due to the wallhacks, underground, flying, ammo and server crashing hacks.

I have worked closely with Pterodon in updating anticheat software, but sadly Pterodon was taken over by IS and there was no more support for vietcong.

Michal "Erik" Janacek

lead programmer, PTERODON CEO made the anticheat Hradba is the Czech word for castle wall. Back in the Dark Ages, Czech castles used very thick Hradbas along their outer perimeter to stop the peasant hordes who attacked with helicopters on their heads.

Here's the last Hadba update readme file:

Quote[/b] ]HradBa Anti-cheat readme

Please feel free to report any HradBa problems or any working cheats at http://help.pterodon.com

HradBa history

=== v206, 2004-10-26 21:00 gmt ===

- updated online

- added new detection #151 and #152 for Direct3D altering ( new detection methods that works against the new VcHook version )

Thanks to Gaming Soldiers Australia clan, especially to {GSA}Aussie Dave for reporting on and providing us with the cheat

- blocked "wolf ears" sound cheat

=== v204, 2004-06-22 16:30 gmt ===

- updated online

- added new detection #150 for Direct3D altering

=== v203, 2004-06-17 9:15gmt ===

- updated online

- added detection #149 for Direct3D altering ( detects VcHook, 3D Analyzer and any other cheat that would alter d3d rendering )

=== v202, 2004-01-25 ===

- part of Vietcong and FistAlpha patch v1.60

- support for both Vietcong v1.60 and FistAlpha v1.60

- reprogrammed flying and super jump detections, cheat detections #3,#26 and #27 are disabled now, there are new detections #147 and #148

- fixed Spectators false detection #141

=== v201 ===

- several testing versions for beta testing, not available for public

=== v200, 2004-01-02 15:30gmt ===

- part of Vietcong FistAlpha installation

- the same functionality as v112

=== v117, 2004-01-02 15:30gmt ===

- updated online

- fixed one HradBa exception ( the server continues to run, but HradBa was disabled because of internal error )

- new detection #146 - it happens when there is #130 ( speedhack ) detected 5 times in a short time ( a few minutes ). When #146 is detected, player is kicked out from the game, so speedhackers will no more disturb in the game.

- #130 - detections and 'ignore' messages are written into special log ( hradba\cheat130info.txt ), to make hblog.txt better readable

- #128 - description improved - added info some viruses can cause this detection ( reported by several players )

=== v116, 2003-12-22 11:15gmt ===

- updated online

- fixed server crashing ( mostly seen during map changing but could happen during normal gameplay too)

- #130 - improved - made less sensitive for speedhacks ( some players have problem with false detections), made more sensitive for slowhacks ( some undetected cheaters appeared)

- #133 - fixed false detection in TT mode

- #141 - false detectin fixed

=== v115, 2003-12-19 10:10gmt ===

- updated online

- #130 ( speedhack detection) is enabled. There should be no false detections now.

- Fixed problem with false #133 detections in Bahnar and Ambush maps

- Improved #27 ( Flying detection) to eliminate false detections

- Added possibility to set data flow limit (bytes per second) for HradBa PureServer tests. HradBa v114 can cause lag sometimes, this new limit can make PureServer tests running longer, so cheating players will be able to be in the game for some time ( max is 2 or 3 minutes on lowest settings), but HradBa shouldn't cause in-game lag anymore. Please check ServerDataFlowMax in hb.ini file

- Added support for HradBa readme ( yes, this file :-) )

=== v114, 2003-11-21 17:36gmt ===

- updated online

- #26 - disabled because false detections, we will investigate it more and enable it later

=== v112, 2003-11-21 ===

- part of Vietcong patch v1.41

- #128 - explanation is written to the console

- #130 - is ignored, server logs it to find false detections, we will enable it again when it's fixed

- #132 - improved timeout detection

- #133 - more info is written into hblog.txt to help us to find possible false detections

- hbconnect.txt logs all attemps to connect to the server including client IP adress

- hblog.txt is not cleared when HradBa starts, so the whole history is there

=== v100, 2003-11-14 ===

- part of Vietcong patch v1.40

The game will need a anticheat, as far as i have seen PB is updated often and does work.

Here's the lastest cheaters we have caught in FEAR with PB.

GSA-XGN

Hradba was developed in cooperation with United Admins , as any other AC solution it was defeated multiple times

was one or rare well done ACs, imho it was abadoned quite early and needed more often updates ...

I'm a big fan of Punkbuster, while imperfect, it is the the most versatile anticheat tool I have ever had the pleasure of using.

However I'm not sure how compatable this would be to a non generic game engine.

Does Punk Buster tolerate user sound mods in multiplay? wink_o.gif

If it does, I agree PB in ArmA. tounge2.gif

u can see tons of moddable games using PB, it's no problem u can define hashes for various files, multiple hashes for same file etc etc

So anyone heard anything with bis about this? Seems like Bis use their "Own" stuff. Would be shame to have another 3 years ruined... again.

Whatever people say about PB it still finds and kick/bans cheaters. I prefer to let PB use 1-5% och my ps's cpu than to have to let cheaters walk all over me in public servers or ladder servers.And the reason to vote no simply cause you never see any cheaters since you NEVER play on a public server must be the most retarded reason i have ever read. PB is not perfect, but it's a hell of alot better than nothing at all, and to trust that a company that never ever wrote a cheat detecting software ever before can do a better job than a company that survives solely on makin anticheat softwares is borderline insane to. Implement PB and atleast have the best protection you can get.

Does Punk Buster tolerate user sound mods in multiplay? wink_o.gif

If it does, I agree PB in ArmA. tounge2.gif

The server admin decides what Punkbuster does and does not allow. he could set it to check sound files or not check soundfiles as he see's fit.

If you were worried about people amplifying the footstep sounds of removing background noise, which has the same effect you could set Punkbuster to scan for it. If you were not bothered by it, you could set it not to.

As a admin for BF2 I have found that it would be almost impossible to police people people using hacks and cheats.

When PB is set up properly it is fantastic.

PB screen shots show up everything and I for one would be disappointed if it was not used.

I really hate humans sometimes. This shouldn't even be an issue, but some assholes don't want good clean fun. mad_o.gif

I guess I would be FOR some kind of anti-cheat, because I don't want to have the thought of someone cheating to cross my mind when playing this game.

As a LAN player, and a co-op player, it makes no real difference for me on this game.

Punkbuster is my anti cheat solution of choice, but I have no particular call for one with this game.

I voted for no because of my experience in BF1942 - it stopped auto-updating which it should do no matter what, and I ended up having to update it manually... I did it twice, then had enough of it - so I DON'T want in in ArmA. Plus, unlike other games, I just KNOW that ArmA won't even be forgiving to dispense 0.1% of CPU power to run it, so forgettaboutit, will ya?

I'd like to know if BIS has ever considered PunkBuster as an anticheating, antiteamkilling device? I do believe it can hold it's own and is quite efficent. It would eliminate the massive TKing when an admin isn't around and can take care of cheaters, again when the admin isn't around.

Anybody else has any thoughts on this?

Oh? I thought it could be configured for TKing.

Hmm, there's no explanation on how it works on that page. At least I found none. Mind if you explain it to me?

as rambo said, it was brought up a few months ago on the forums and basically most people didnt want it as it would cause problems for the modding scene (which basically floated OFP).

How the Arma Blanlist works. ?

Its a compiled list of banned Team killer ID's that anyone can download and use on their own server.

The list is compiled by a few ( but growing ) number of trusted servers who place banned Teamkiller ID's into the database. The list doesnt contain bans for any other reason.

The Database contains no names or personal details, just the ID numbers.

As for punkbuster, yes , has been mentioned in the past, but that would cost the commuity dearly in the sudden drop in available PB safe mods.

Quote[/b] ]

PB does nothing for TK'ing, it's only an anticheat device

can be configured to even work as TK system if able read game variables (depends on game and it's only "bonus" feature, if able then use game internal or user made solution)

Quote[/b] ]

It was also restrict the massive  modding community.

Rambo ... please stop "spreading" false informations ...

PB works with modding (see Q3, UE, BF based games) and can be configured to support multiple files of different sizes and hashes ...

for Arma modding community will be PB same problem like signed addons feature already built-in engine

(simple it's no problem at all)

most of ANTI PUNKBUSTER and ANTI STEAM/VAC and so on trashtalk roots from absolute ignorance and zero functionality/features knowledge of these who "WHINE" most against them ...

and i'm not saying they perfect ...

just that others are WAY worse (aka if someone give me option to choose between nothing, PunkBuster, VAC2, HackShield, GameGuard then i choose PB)

Quote[/b] ]

Hmm, there's no explanation on how it works on that page. At least I found none. Mind if you explain it to me?

of course there are informatiosn pages about PB ... i guess you lazy to find them

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=info.php

detailed informations differ by each game then, so just look at AA

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=faq-aa.php

server stuff

http://www.evenbalance.com/publications/aa-ad/index.htm

client stuff http://www.evenbalance.com/publications/aa-pl/index.htm

downloads

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=dl-aa.php

most of PB features and settings are well documented ...

rest are either experimetnal leftovers or unused obsolete ones ...