Sign in to follow this  
Pappy Boyington

New Ocean Island... Flood

Maybe someone in Landwarrior87's family has been hurt in this tragic happening.

My advice to LW87 is simply to cease activity in this thread.

I don't think this is bad actually, it gives the community another mission-scenario-variety. Pappy are not showing any offence to the victims of the disaster, he has just reflected the real world.

And when you argues about war; Of course civilians get hurt in war...

Or?

smile_o.gif

(Unless in MP you have Natl' Guard vs. Looters, and then you can REALLY see what the poor, undertrained soldiers are up against). It is for RESCUE missions, and a good version of this mod could've been used as a training device long ago, so the people running the evacuation process now would've had a better idea what to expect and how to react.

A training device?? Your really educated man. seriously. You think the coast guard needs to play ofp and boyington's mod to know how to do their job better? God. You amaze me.

Looters huh? thats what you call them, imagine this: You and your three kids and wife had to leave your home and go to the superdome and your waiting there for five days and your watching your family starve without food or water, and thers an old abondoned Walgreens or Grocery Store right down the street.. what are you goind to do? These people are not looting they are surviving!! No one here is going to tell me they are not going to do whatever they have to keep their family ALIVE.. I KNOW I SURE AS HELL WOULD. Sow hile your calling them dogs and animals for looting you have no idea of whats going on.

But your looking forward to the next missions while your telling your self this is good because the coast guard could have used this to train on. give me a fuccin break

Learn to read, Landwarrior. I mention "the people running the evacuation", not "the coast guard needs this as a training device". The only thing the Coast Guard is running is the direction of their boats.

What I mean, in REALLY simple terms is:

If the government (FEMA as an example), had something like this, with some of the several addons and other mods out there (Like coast guard addons, the scripts that require you to eat or lose health , the civilian addons where some of them have weapons, etc. etc.), they would've found that their current policy and strategy could not POSSIBLY be feasible. And for a place like, as an example since you mentioned it, New Orleans, which sits UNDER the sea level and requires a WALL to keep dry, you would imagine that they play-tested those policies and strategies many times over. But, as we see on CNN, that is not the case. We cannot change the fact that it happened, and that the government used plans that are 30 years old and had fewer residents to be evacuated than could be expected today. What we CAN do is make missions SIMILAR to New Orleans, and see what went wrong and if we can do it better. No one (At least no one has mentioned it with an seriousness - Miles Teg- confused_o.gif in this thread), wants to run around gunning down civilians. I want to see choppers that have to lower food to people, (has an "eject" script to drop crates of food), soldiers in boats that have to pick up people and bring them to dry land, medics to can heal civilians, and a point system for all of the above. But, what I also want to see is the looters, of all kinds. Civ looters running around with food, Res Civs running down the street with TVs (guess which ones you get to shoot?). Res Civs with hunting rifles shooting at the soldiers, buses that arrive periodically, or that you can radio, to take away the civilians you've brought back to the base, bank robbers you have to stop, and so on and so on. This has the opportunity to be a learning tool, not a pure "shoot em up" game, like so many others on the market. I believe THAT is what Pappy is trying to achieve. Emergency and Emergency 2 are on the market too, but no ones whines about burning buildings on their monitors.

And as far as being educated, we shouldn't flame here, so I'll say this nicely:

Your first question is not a complete sentence. Your 2nd sentence starts with "Your", that should be "You're". In your 2nd paragraph, after "imagine:", you've repeated "and" so many times you have now proven you are NOT an English teacher ("And" being a prepositional phrase, you're limited in the English language how often it can be used in one sentence). In the same paragraph, "thers" should be "there's", the "Grocery Store" should not be capitalized unless it REALLY is named "Grocery Store", "Sow hile" is probably your attempt at "So while", but I believe you can't say "So while" (one conflicts with the other I seem to remember), and the third paragraph, although short, "your" after "But", should be "You're", "missions" should be mission (if you mean more than one mission you have to form your sentence differently, like replacing "next" with "new"), "your" after "while" should also be "you're", "your self" should be yourself", and your last sentence is mising a period. If you want, I could also post this in German, which I learned on my own in my spare time. Da habe ich keine problem damit, muss nur sagen. (means: I don't have any problem with it, just let me know).

But, I'm not here to flame you, as you seem to have set out to do here with the rest of us. I simply point out that this island, with certain addons, could REALLY open peoples eyes as to how difficut such a rescue operation is to "successfully" conduct. You repeatedly mentioned I think the Coast Guard should use this as a training device. I mean the people higher up the chain, the ones not willing to get their pants wet, hands dirty, and so on. My only mention of Coast Guard is to some of the many addons available to use in this island.

And, if I was still in the military, and I saw you running out of Radio Shack with a Color TV, I would NOT try to convince my squad leader that you are "just trying to survive". There's a difference between "looting" and "survival", and I think we're all aware of it.

Oh, and for Pappy, re-read the top half of this, as it's like a "wish-list" off Addons that need to be looked into! biggrin_o.gif

..erm, this is a game, regardless of it's similaritys to real-life, it should be fun..

Quote[/b] ]Thats it. im officially done with this board. I cant beleive these r the people i play ofp with on the net trying to have fun and these are the kind of words that come out of their mouths.

You said it : Fun

This addon, at it's base level is just a fictional island, flooded. Nothing more..

Thats why I play the game, for fun, and by the sound of it, you do to..

[i did want to say more, but I'm not sure how to word it without people taking offense. Which would be bad as it wasn't intended to be, but people have a very good ability at finding offense whereever they want too..]

Back on topic : Has anyone made any missions for the island yet?

- Ben

One thing I found a bit annoying is that you can't rescue civilians from rooftops. I tried placing a civilian on a rooftop and landing with an MI-17, and the guy ran off the building when I tried it. Damn it!

One thing I found a bit annoying is that you can't rescue civilians from rooftops. I tried placing a civilian on a rooftop and landing with an MI-17, and the guy ran off the building when I tried it. Damn it!

Thats because the AI need to first move to the "get in" position on the helicopter, and since they don't know any better, they don't know when to stop running when they get to the edge...

I can´t see any water.

Anyone have any idea of what´s wrong?

Edit: Ohh, sorry, forgot to change the date.

Stupid me to forgot to read everything....

people chill out, the national guard in new orleans ARENT EVEN RESCUING PEOPLE, they are there to restore order, the coast guard rescues people, along with whoever can fly any other heli. i would agree & say looting is fine when it's for food & water, but when you see shamika running down the street with a grocery cart full of...ehr, a new TV, 100 CDs & ten pair of jordans, that's just screwed up. the 'white people' are not picked up first, so you are wrong in saying that, new orleans is mostly a black town, so naturally they'd be picking up black folks...the white people obviously just got out in time? who knows, who cares.

Bloody hell Pappy, first it's your racist watermelons now this? You seem to have a knack for innocently sparking controversy biggrin_o.gif

pissing the whole community off one addon at a time?  rofl.gif

why wouldnt the coatgaurd use OFP or VBS as a training simualtor? Marines Do

its so nice to see that the community doesnt look too deep into an addon for conspiracys and evil plans for racisum and iggnorance. that we can look at a game and see it as just a game.

tell me thou.. how did we go from being iggnorant bastards for wanting to simualte rescuing people to being racists agasint black and white color skined people? crazy_o.gif

as for missions there is one guy that is making a mission right now.

althou if there are any mission makers out there please feel free to take a shot. id like to see someone that can fully use the rope ladder function of the HH60. i implemented it like BAS did but even i dont know how to make the AI (that isnt in my group) board the helo via rope ladder

oh yea i forgot to mention... when people are talking about looters, at least when im talking about looters. i dont mean people taking food and stuff like that. im talking about people taking tv's and other stuff.. and the people shooting at the helicopters. whats the point of that? the helos are coming to save your ass and deliver supplies and your shooting at them? sorry i have no pity for those kind of people. i feel sorry for the others that are low on food and those that are out of a home and all that.

althou if there are any mission makers out there please feel free to take a shot. id like to see someone that can fully use the rope ladder function of the HH60. i implemented it like BAS did but even i dont know how to make the AI (that isnt in my group) board the helo via rope ladder

Ithere is a script for AI groups to use the rope ladder on an AI chopper, its in the BAS M/AH-60 readme...

it sounded a little racist what Miles Teg said? no it was racist. I cant believe this, being a black person my self how he can say that.. thats what he think our race is.. an angry black mob trying to kill all the white people and take big screen tv's. Thats it. im officially done with this board. I cant beleive these r the people i play ofp with on the net trying to have fun and these are the kind of words that come out of their mouths.

With all seriousness.. at a time like this i cant believe you guys are acting like this. The black people to miles teg are nothing but "Tonal Civi's" that he can shoot with his national guard addon. I just cant believe it. Dont worry about me posting anything else im done with this board all in all.

*you probably won't see this but this is pretty much a message for all*

Come on people wake up,the whites hate the blacks well...I dunno,whites have always been the bastards,I myself and am white and I live in the racist south,where whites want you to believe blacks are bad or some bs like that,truth is my 2 best friends were black and they were much better than these white trash types.

You only see that on TV because thats what they want you to see,they don't show you white mobs or somethin because they seem to be trying to make blacks look even worse,shame too...that whites can't just shut the hell up for once and take some time to know people.

The next person that gets off the topic of the addon itself is going to get a PR. Stick to the topic at hand everybody.

oceancityflood4.jpg

oceancityflood5.jpg

note: due to OFP bug road LOD's are visable thru water. once you get down below about 10 or 15m the raods are NOT visable thru the water. (however if u have AI driving thru it they will follow roads)

oceancityflood6.jpg

I shan't be downloading this. I agree with what Landwarrior has to say on the matter.

I found it highly disrespectful and distasteful when people started making 9/11 Flash games, just days after the event, and my feeling is that this is the same thing.

Wars and TRAGEDIES like what has happened to the people of the South are not the same thing.

It does make me feel uneasy imagining a 14 year old in his parents' basement playing a game based on thousands of innocent people's suffering, then turning my head and seeing these people on TV, their faces all grimey, full of tears, clutching what little remains of their life they managed to salvage...

That's what I have to say on the matter. Respect my opinion or refrain from flaming me

On the other hand, as an addon, it is pretty well made from what I can see, and were it not based on or inspired by the tragic events of last week, I'd download it

Honestly, well made island, gives you something else to do rather then "move north, blow up fuel dump". I don't see how this is disrespectful to New Orleans, were the IEDs someone made disrespectful to US soldiers? Anyway for some reason the bridge to the airport seemed all messed up for me, anyone else have that problem? Keep those islands coming Pappy and people stop dogging on him about race and all that other crap, if you don't like it, shut up and go to New Orleans and help rather then bitching and causing a flame war (sorry in advance to the Mods if this pisses off some people)

Check out this pdf editor tutorial:

http://games.tiscali.cz/flashpoint/download/uber_editor_tutorial.zip

look at pg 102, and read thru as it explains how to have POWS just stand there. Using some of this, you can come a step closer to getting the evacuees onto the vehicles (be it heli, boat, etc.)

What I'm thinking is using parts of that example to get the ppl to stand there, and ONLY when u get within like, 3m, that sets offs a trigger to have ppl get in vehicle (check the script for AI groups to use the rope ladder on an AI chopper, its in the BAS M/AH-60 readme...)

Eddie

this is by far the most retarded addon ever published.

Ocean island isnt even a city, looks more like you tried to make your first map and this is what turned up when you where done testing wrptool.

Since people chose to totally ignore warnings to stay on the topic of the addon itself, this is being temporarily closed.

Shashman - 48 hour PR for ignoring a moderators instructions.

Cleck, since you are new you get one warning and one warning only - pointless bashing of an addon is not tolerated here and is considered flaming. If you have something constructive to say, feel free. But childish comments like yours have no place on this forum.

I will reopen this again within the next 24 hours or so - new/repeat offenders will get much stiffer penalties, starting with a 1 week PR and WL increase. Don't bother PMing me in the meantime - this will be opened when it's opened.

And for the record, all of you who seem to consider this addon some sort of taboo seem to be missing some serious points. Firstly, that IMHO this addon is in no way making fun or making light of the current crisis in New Orleans that I can see. And secondly, how on earth is simulating scenarios and rescues of a natural disater unacceptable, when modding specific war conflicts seem to get a basically unanimous thumbs up from the community? People in wartorn countries are no less sensitive to loss of loved ones and memories of pain and suffering than the people you seem so eager to vent outrage on behalf of... sad_o.gifmad_o.gif

OK, one final chance for this thread, since I don't want to further punish the addonmaker or people who wish to genuinely discuss this addon. Discuss it like civlized adults, or you will be getting the punishments as described above. No second chances, no "I didn't read your warning until after I posted"...

this is by far the most retarded addon ever published.

Ocean island isnt even a city, looks more like you tried to make your first map and this is what turned up when you where done testing wrptool.

wow. hope you didnt exert yourself too much to make that comment. wouldnt want you hurting yourself to input such a philisophical and educational answer huh.gif

the point of New Ocean Island(s) is to be able to have a realisitc looking city in OFP.

due to OFPs limitations if i would have expanded this island to the size of everon, for instance, and still have a city this size on it. you would get the frame rate of a tonal mission with 18 platoons running around. lucky if u get 4fps.

you cant have large citys like this in OFP without sacrificing a good 20 or 30 FPS. unless you have just the city and nothing else then you can simulate city type missions. with the way this is you can have a full sized mission with over 100 units and still get decent framerate, even on a low end computer.

this island is the result of weeks and weeks of tweaking until it would be playable and lagless for everyone.

Quote[/b] ]for some reason the bridge to the airport seemed all messed up for me, anyone else have that problem?

yea its suppose to be. i wanted missions to be either trucks from the NG base or helos from the airport. anyone can drive across a bridge, but rescuing from rooftops with helos takes skill smile_o.gif

Hey great job on the flood scheme for ocean city. Ocean city was already a great map but this makes it much better. Now if someone made a floating dead bodies addon then a zombie themed mission would be awesome in this map.

NOTE: I hope no one takes offense to the floating dead bodies in the light of Katrina.

IMO there is enough drowning right now. Even at around 1130 I drown, though the water can barely get to my neck's height.

But is there a panicing civvies script anywhere? So that they'd just run inside an area randomly? And no, I don't mean a gazillion of cycle-waypoints.

I was wondering if in the next version of this island if some of the lower quality houses would be removed. Like the best buy and china town part of the city are cool but dont look that good. Also the Mcdonalds should be removed IMO.

I like the towers and the mapfact stuff just not some of the other addons. Maybe adding some beaches too and small docks.

Edit:

Also the farmland addons are good addons but dont fit in.