Sign in to follow this  
tomcat_

How to-Dedicacted Server

Apologies if that's already answered...but I couldn't find a sticky...and I couldn't find anything in search..

I'm trying to setup a dedicated server in Winxp server..but not so sure how...

Long time ago..I remember reading a tutorial..but cannot find it anymore...

thanks

I have read some things around..but still the dedicated won't work....

This is what I have done so far:

1. Burnt the image of the 3 cd's of my GOTY edition and uploaded them to my dedicated

2. Installed the game on the dedicated

3. Installed the GOTY patch

4. Install the dedicated server patch, including copying the two .bin files from the res/bin to the root directory

When I start the server a small window comes up, saying at the beggining the time and that server was created..but at the blue margin says server creation failed: 2302. Now there is no firewall so I don't think is a port issue....

any ideas...?

What I did to get it working..

Share the OFP Folder

On the server PC, copy the OFP folder across (To C:\OFP)

Extract the dedicated server files to the folder, fiddle with the config file for it (According to the readme/manual files)

Then edited the batch file, so it's

ofp_server.exe -config=newConfigFileName.something

(Thats from memory, but should get the idea)

You don't need to install the game, just copying the files over is fine, but if you already have the game installed, it's the same..

Not sure why your having problems with it.. Try changing the port to something (23029), see if something is already using that port..

- Ben

You can check if anything else is using the OFP ports with<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">netstat -an

You should also check your server's name, as it's not supposed to contain any spaces or start with something other than a letter.

can't understand what's wrong...this port is not used....but it keeps coming up with the same...no matter what port I'm using.... confused_o.gif

yeah...nothing wrong with the server name...

i even trying to put the server up...only with the sample.cfg from the patch without touching anything...

wierd thing is that on my pc...i can put a dedicated server...

on the dedicated box..although there is a fresh installation..it's not having it...

I will try and ftp accross my folder from my pc..over to the dedicated...have to have lots of patience thought with 1.75gb folder... confused_o.gif

OK...i found the solution...looks like the name of the host pc...cannot contain numbers or symbols....

This dedicated server thing has always been a mistery to me! sad_o.gif

isnt a dedicated Server something realy expensive that you need to rent for about 100$ per month?

This dedicated server thing has always been a mistery to me!  sad_o.gif

isnt a dedicated Server something realy expensive that you need to rent for about 100$ per month?

Yes and no, a dedicated server is just a PC that is used solely to one task, i.e. running OFP remotley as a server. This can be done by renting a server from a company or setting up that old P3 900 that you don't use anymore to do it for you.

This dedicated server thing has always been a mistery to me! sad_o.gif

The only reason most people have to rent is that their internet connection usually isn't up to the task of running a dedicated server.

It helps if you have more than one IP and good bandwidth with no packetloss.

If you can arrange that in other ways it's much cheaper.