Sign in to follow this  
MilitiaSniper

Hurricane Katrina!

Yeah, cool story if true, which I doubt. I would not be surprised if it's partly made up or at least heavily embellished. It's a bit too much of an textbook conservative tale of sacrifice, courage and most importantly redemption.

There is a very clear moral being promoted, especially with the last section that is really unconvincing. It's all a bit too neatly assembled to promote a pillar of conservative dogma:

The individual is to blame for his/her situation, not society.

You have to be kidding me.

It's all totally true - being a military vehicle collector I have met over 250 other collectors throughout California, Arizona, Washington, Nevada, and Texas.

We are the the types to make up stories.

By the way, why didn't that one guy get his hand chopped off by the moderators for quoting that picture? huh?

mad_o.gif

By the way, why didn't that one guy get his hand chopped off by the moderators for quoting that picture? huh?

mad_o.gif

you know very well that questioning moderator's decision is not welcome here. this is not the first comment in last few weeks that i heard from you that serves no purpose.

if you want to report a violation, there is RTM. otherwise stop complaining. your behavior after pardon has been essecially same before you got banned and you are only a step away from getting banned again. this time there will be no amnesty.

Hey man I'm sorry, I wrote an apology letter with some questions and stuff and sent it to your PM box and stuff. I am so sorry.

Regarding the story - this is from a member on the military jeep board of which I am a part of.

Quote[/b] ]John's always been one to volunteer to help. Recently I had someone give me a 1968 Chevy 4x4 that I plan to restore. It was not running and had a couple of flat tires. I planned on spending some time cranking it up on my trailer with a couple of come-alongs. John (the guy in the story) shows up with his modern jeep (a 400+ horsepower Corvette LS-1 powered beast) that has a bumper mounted winch. The truck was on the trailer in 15 minutes. He didn't have to help. He heard what we were doing that morning and lived nearby so he decided to come and help. Not having to spend several hours in 100 degree heat made him a hero to me that day but nothing like the hero he was to the people in Mississippi and Louisiana.

OH GREAT MOTHER OF GOD! CORVETTE WITH A WINCH? Total REDNECK THERE EH!

John (guy in story) responded with this to all the POSITIVE response on USA-BASED FORUMS where people who can see through political affiliation (a concept which most of you seem unable to comprehend) thank him etc.

Quote[/b] ]Dear Scott, I just looked at our website. Whereas I really appreciate your concern about my monetary situation, I am afraid that there are people who may misconstrue the intent of telling my story. As I stated, the money is gone and it was well spent. I shall recover from the loss within a few months. Some of the people I met are never going to recover from this. Could you remove the donation information and print this apology on the website? Any money already received through the website will be immediately donated to Katrina relief through an aid organization. Anybody wishing to donate money to 'Sarge', please choose any Katrina relief fund you wish and send

the money to them. It will reach the victims faster than if you send it to me. In the words of the older Gangsta, "My Daddy would whup me upside the head" if I took payment for doing what needed to be done. P.S. I don't know what heroes look like, but I just look and feel like a tired old man.

And the poster on AR15.com (omg assault rifles!! OWNED BY CIVILLIANS!! OMG!!!! ) pistols.gifpistols.gifpistols.gifpistols.gif

Quote[/b] ]

It's a sad state of the board when the skeptics come out regarding a story like this. Yes, I do know John personally and have for many years now. I'll tell you this - he'd drive across the entire country for someone in need. He's just that kind of guy. I will however ask if he has any pictures to appease the doubters.

http://lonestar-mvpa.org/images/2005/05memaf.JPG - Do you think this guy has anything better to do other than tell lies over the internet about his pretend M35A2 adventures?!?!

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.y....282.jpg

Pretty smart or does she know something about those cards that I don't know about.

Edit: somebody went over the edge..

Uh.. I dont think her name is Red Cross Client. wink_o.gif

Maybe she's advertising for them, wouldn't have her real name on it.

FEMA debit card program cancelled after 2 days

Probably where the lady got the card from. However, separating the needy from the opportunists made it difficult to determine how to distribute it.

EDIT: I read an article today about the record pace of the Atlantic hurricane season. It's possible that the hurricane center could run out of names, considering it doesn't use the letters Q, U, X, Y, and Z. If they do, its on to the Greek alphabet.

I wonder what provisions they made to make sure people can't steal other people's cards.

The very same way we (try) to prevent our credit cards getting stolen? tounge2.gif

Signatures, pictures and PINs would provide the most basic form of security at least.. but considering FEMA's incompetency lately I am not expecting much.

Hi all

It is not that FEMA is incompetant it is that the NeoConMen gutted it to make Homeland un-Defence organisation so they could all get jobs for the boys.

It is the same as was done to the the intelligence departments which is why the coalition ended up invading Iraq. They replaced real inteligence agencies like the CIA with the Office of Special Plans which gave us imaginary Iraqi links to Al Qaida and 9/11 and imaginary WMD.

They replaced the real FEMA which had a good record of dealing with disasters with a fake sacked all the good worker and diverted the funding to NeoConMen pet projects with more jobs for the boys. mad_o.gif

From it they created the Homeland Defense Organisation which comanded FEMA at the Cabinet level yet still the idiot in charge of Homeland un-Defence has his job. crazy_o.gif

They Replace the man in Charge of FEMA with a real record of dealing with Disasters with a fake disaster manager who pretended to have Disaster management history. mad_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

The idiot NeoConMen are in government so what do you expect.

Regards Walker

They replaced the real FEMA which had a good record of dealing with disasters with a fake sacked all the good worker and diverted the funding to NeoConMen pet projects with more jobs for the boys. mad_o.gif

They made FEMA incompetent so therefore FEMA is.. incompetent. wink_o.gif

I wonder what provisions they made to make sure people can't steal other people's cards.

The very same way we (try) to prevent our credit cards getting stolen? tounge2.gif

Signatures, pictures and PINs would provide the most basic form of security at least.. but considering FEMA's incompetency lately I am not expecting much.

No, I mean did they just hand them the card with a little slip of paper with the PIN on it? What's to keep one person from taking it from another person? At least with normal credit and debit cards there are other security measures you can take (like have "Please see ID" instead of a signature so the clerk should match up your ID with the name on the card.

Just sayin' that the debit card thing is an interesting idea, but given what's already happened to these refugees, it sounds like there's very little to keep someone of less than honorable intentions from acquiring the cards.

A message from BumRush himself to all!

Quote[/b] ]I just got back from New Orleans. The smell is unbareable. It smells like @$$ and death! Bodies are all around. The first body I came across. Is on a dock just lying there. There was another body that stands out the most to me. Is a little girl that was caught on a fence! And as far as I know she is still there. I have alittle girl around her age. (6 yrs. old.) They really haven't started picking up the bodies yet!

We went house to house searching for people. You can always tell when someone is dead inside. Cause the dead bodies have a sweet smell to them!

We saw this house. What we thought was only one house. But in fact it turned out to be two homes pushed together.

One of the homes had moved 100 yrds. from its foundation!

My home seemed to do ok! I just forgot to take my key with me. To get inside and grab a few things! When I go back. I'm gonna try to get back to my house. Hopefully I don't forget my key! LOL!

The first night we slept in a tent with a muddy floor. After that we slept aboard a Navy ship. The showers aboard the ship had dirt and mud on the floor. "I can't shower in this!" It was nasty! LOL! The first thing I did when I got back to my new home in Mississippi. Was take a long @$$ shower! Whew! That felt good!

Anyways.., MilitiaSniper told me. Alot of you were praying for my family and I! I just want to say, "Thank You!"

But please continue praying for all the people who lost everything. Esspecially family members!

Hope I see you all soon!

Sincerely, BumRush

I'm glad you are well my long time friend! I hope you will get to come down to visit during your 2 weeks old!

You know we love you!

And God's Speed to your family and yourself!

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

Here comes another storm... wow_o.gif

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/22/rita/index.html

Quote[/b] ]If the storm maintains its intensity, Rita "could be worse than Katrina," which devastated southeast Louisiana and coastal Mississippi a little over three weeks ago, said Max Mayfield, director of the NHC.
Quote[/b] ]Forecasters expect the center of Rita to make landfall somewhere between the Texas cities of Corpus Christi and Galveston. But because of the power and size of the hurricane -- which has a tropical wind field 370 miles wide -- the effects will likely be felt far from the point of landfall.

Should we maintain this topic (Rita following Katrina) or are we allowed to start a new one? confused_o.gif

Somebody up there really doesn't like the guys in new orleans... whistle.gif .

I hope people will focus on getting the fuck out of there, well, little place to ride out the storm this time...

Somebody up there really doesn't like the guys in new orleans...  whistle.gif .

I hope people will focus on getting the fuck out of there, well, little place to ride out the storm this time...

Well.. this one is'nt as powerful as katrina but still..

I really hope evacuation of the area will be better organized this time, I don't want a new New Orleans incident confused_o.gif

(Change of thread name?)

This one's heading more towards Texas than NO, and Rita actually reached a lower central pressure (dropped below 900 millibars yesterday) than Katrina did, but I think it has weakened some since yesterday. I-45 from Houston is all northbound now, and we're starting to see an Exodus comparable to that from New Orleans before Katrina. I don't know if this storm has enough room to weaken significantly before landfall, but I'm not a meterologist and hurricanes can behave very oddly.

EDIT: It just dropped out of Cat. 5 into strong Cat. 4.

People here in Austin are freakin' out for some reason. Oh well. Gets me outta work.