Sign in to follow this  
CJE

The Unsung Mod

I love this mod. Most wanted for me now. Jungle looks awsome. I cant wait when I see it live.

Women. Her face is a little not centered and vertical I think. And I she looks a little too european.

Will be there some public beta? I hope yes, because I really want to make a patrol with these units and in this jungle. Oh, man. Why I have seen it already... ;(

The VC's face isn't asian enough for my liking either. tounge2.gif

As for demo, we're not sure. crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]As for demo, we're not sure. crazy_o.gif

Yeah we're thinking about scrapping it and drinking beer for the rest of our lives... yay.gif

tounge2.gif

Ok.. ok... i'll get myself a beer and still edit... happy? mad_o.gif

tounge2.gif

More pics within a few hours, stayed tuned smile_o.gif

sim

A cargo plane is on it's way to you. Expect an airdrop soooooon.

Now some nice unedited pics of attacking NVA. Theyre big, yes, but I thought they'd be nice for your desktop. tounge2.gif

IMG1

IMG2

IMG3

IMG4

Now enjoy. thumbs-up.gif

Again pics are on A Shau. And you can see our grass. wink_o.gif

This grass is added only for photos or it is really so dense in some places on your island?

Outstanding work! Glad the mod is still producing,after the news of no Vietnam scenarios in OFP2 makes the mod all so valuable.

The pic of the closeup of the NVA looks like a mask.The texture almost matches the original.A little sizing it would be perfect.

Were vietnamese woman fighting in Vietnam too? I have a hard time with shooting women,I watch alot of stuff and don't recall much said about NVA women? I recall some suicide bombers or something...

With winter coming here,I may be able to offer some help with your mod

edit: Oh I didn't mention that I work with a guy that is from Vietnam 10 years ago.He was a kid when Vietnam war and I can ask him most anything.He lost brothers and family to the war

I know he would help with maps and voices,I have already talked to him about before

And you can see our grass.

And it's not even the first date yet!!!

Looking awesome lads, keep those Nam fires burning smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]If I remember, some women were in the VC, but not entirely sure if any where in the North Vietnamese Army.

This was a peoples Army, anybody in their community that was able to help their cause did so.

Fighting, supplies, setting traps, clearing mines, mortars whatever - the women were there and many only just in their teens.

I wasn't sure women in NVA, but:

Quote[/b] ]

It is estimated that the total number of women in the regular army of North Vietnam, the militia and local forces, and professional volunteer teams was somewhere near two hundred thousand. Women with training and education operated underground communications networks, staffed and directed jungle clinics, and recorded the war as journalists. Others ran jungle liaison stations and ammunition depots, led and served in combat platoons, made coffins and burial cloths, and collected and buried the dead. Local militiawomen learned to shoot at American planes from factory rooftops and village fields, carried supplies, and treated the wounded—all the while maintaining agricultural and industrial production at prewar levels.

http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471146897.html

So it looks they were in NVA too. But I think not in combat units.

Wow I go away for a few days ....... I'll post some noon RGB pics of the forest. There are lag issues with it but I'm reducing the poly count. I created a very dense forest (triple canopy) but ran into the curesd ofp engine limitations. So the following pics are of a new dense forest taken to the limit of the ofp engine There will be two versions of the island one for fast computers, and one for really fast computers. If I make a version which will run on the computers which could just run the original ofp then the island will look like the europe.

The women vc/nva faces/hands has to be fixed ,no biggee. They are still very beta and I doubt will be released with the demo.

And just a heads up on the Demo we are going to release soon, but most of the units are still beta and some might still have placeholders. But we've decided to get it out there in the community just to spark some interest, and hopefully get some more help to finish up the full Mod.

Oh yeah, by the way I now have a very good Car15, so no more wise cracks about the m4a1. tounge2.gif

Any help would be welcomed very warmly. biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif hint hint. biggrin_o.gif

As for the grass, yes, it is that dense over about 50% of Ashau.

biggrin_o.gif A Shau is 512 x 512 island, but if we cant find a solution to our laggy forests, A shau will be chopped into 2. north and south. wink_o.gif

I hope it doesnt come to that, because then I will have to do something with wrptool again. Which im avoiding at the moment. tounge2.gif

Woah, just saw the thick jungle pics - AWESOME !

With the beauty on screen, a question comes to mind: how does fightings go on in that ? We can't see anything, the AI can't and then all hell breaks loose ?

I'm asking this because in other jungles (Ia Drang, Tonal) i noticed the AI won't spot you until you shoot someone. Then the infamous 'knows about' code kicks in and the whole vc group can 'see' you right thru the trees and bushes. You can run away or stay low, no difference - you'll get wasted anyway.

Somebody would need to write a script which denies the ai from firing at (previously) unseen targets. Although i dunno how to judge things like: can be seen thru bush, cannot be seen thru bush.

Not an easy task. tounge2.gif

Nope, it isn't, but creating a realistic vietnam mod ain't no easy task either. crazy_o.giftounge2.gif

okay guys I've posted new pics in full colour on the gallery section of the website, This is a workable forest (still beta textures) I will be making less dense areas so you will be able to navigate through by seeing more then two feet infront of you but you will encounter areas of very dense forest sections so whip out your compass because you'll need it. I"m also working on making the AI less accurate, in these areas. And yes you will need a fairly new computer with a powerful graphics card to run this but I will be making a less dense forest for older comps.

the density of the forest objects is great thumbs-up.gif

does the undergrowth (bushes under the trees) block the AI sight? If so, there will be incredible forest fights, with a possible enemies arround every bush smile_o.gif

or does

Quote[/b] ]I"m also working on making the AI less accurate, in these areas.
mean that the forest object doesnt block the AIs sight?

YO!  wow_o.gif

So what are the firefights like in these parts of the jungle and how bloody close is the enemy? Is it like 50 away or something? Are you actually so close that you could get hand to hand combat (i mean real close auto fire stuff, due to no hand to hand combat in ofp)? Another question, you guys must have some form of trap or mine or whatever, so how visible are these.... crazy_o.gif

Also how strong a compy must you have...Will my amd 3000 do? Or....it's of to the shop again?

Oh haven't said this yet: Awesome jungle dudes!!!  yay.gif

We're working to get "dumber" AI. or thats what cj525 "claims" to be doing. tounge2.gif

So all we can do is hope for this realistic AI.

As for your pc, we're not sure as of yet. crazy_o.gif No one knows what kind of pc will run this. tounge2.gif

Well actually we do have an indication.

Runs fine on my pc no lag.

P4 3.2 E Prescott

512 ram

256 nvidia fx5500 g/card.

But were not sure as for the traps yet, as for visibility.

The problem with ofp is that your teammates wont just walk inot them, as they would be buildings, and your teammates would automatically avoid them. Again, as for visibility we aint sure. Nothing is certain when there are only 3 core members..... crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifsmile_o.gif

I've been testing the forest fights, with my men on hold fire the enemy is usually spotted around 50 feet or closer depending on terrain, I've come very close to the enemy on my own by sneaking, but once your spotted you better find a tree or di di. Thats why I'm looking at reducing the accuracy of both bluefor and opfor. If the NVA spot you or hear fire from an area they will return fire, or become alert, depending on scripting. It's definitly going to be a tough problem to solve I'm no Guru at scripting so if anyone has ideas please drop me a line.

Just a note in testing this forest I thru some NVA into the forest on hide and hold fire, I then swept the area with my single unit to see if I could find them..... basically visibility is down to around 3 - 6ish feet, best way to scope the area is find some high ground and look down on an area, and wait for movement.

I'm running a 2 gig intel p4 with a 128 meg video 333 FSB(slow argh), it has lag problems with vis set high. Also there is a slight pause when unit initally looks at a different direction (caused by ofp swapping LODs) , I also have a 256meg video on my other comp with same motherboard and proccessor, just noticed slight pause when ofp is swapping LODs.

That description of the Ai behaviour sound very promising. Looks like the jungle will really swallow up Charlie. If you can't find him then the jungle is really dense, me like  smile_o.gif

Just because you can't see him it doesn't mean Charlie is not there  tounge2.gif  Man i just can't wait, i nearly fell of my chair when i saw the pics of the thick jugle. For ones camo is actually important.

edit: bloody hyperactive typo screwups lol