Sign in to follow this  
General Barron

Handsignals Command System Released!

I hope this has not be asked before:

Must I use all 3 (three) fireteams in a mission?

I only want 2 teams, myself and the radio for a mission so I have deleted the entries for the third group in the "hs_init.sqs".

Unfortunately it doesnt work this way confused_o.gif

I don't see why not having the 3rd fireteams would cause any problems. If it doesn't work, you could surely just place 3 units, each in their own group, and then assign them as the 3 fireteam group, and then delete the 3rd unit once HS has initialized.

Though I would suggest trying to use one empty, non-existing groups as the 3rd fireteams and see if it works then...

Thank you Garcia, assigning "grpNull" as 3rd Fire team works, although it seems to produce some "problems" especially in squad rallys.

I think I'll cope with the 3rd team wink_o.gif

The rapidshare link to v1.1 is down. Is there a mirror out there somewhere? I want to host this addon on OFPEC.

@ Oct. 06 2006,20:33)]Here and here.

The first one is pure 1.1 the second one is 1.0 but has the sound file link with it.

Thanks m8

Version 1.2 BETA, MP Compatible (to a certain degree) whistle.gif

I've always been a big fan of General Barrons hand signal mod for OFP. However, I usually play multiplayer only, so I wanted to look into the possibility to use the hand signals in multiplayer. I started making a mission which would use the hand signals, but after some time I turned to edit the addon so it would be multiplayer compatible. I managed to get it working fairly good in multiplayer, but then I started at a university, and since then I haven't had much time to edit this anymore. And since ArmA is close to being released, I'll just release this as it is.

I hope to get the time to edit it after ArmA is released, and then there's hopefully some new script commands that will come in handy.

The addon is working, to my knowledge, as good as 1.1 in singleplayer, but in multiplayer there are some problems with units following some of your commands.

The addon also now needs CoC NS 2.0 to work in multiplayer, but not in singleplayer (can be found here: I honestly didn't find a link :\wink_o.gif, and unfortunatly it's not compatible with missions made for 1.0 and 1.1.

---------------------Missions---------------------------

I've added 2 templates, one for singleplayer missions, and one for multiplayer missions. I'll just explain a bit of what the different things do.

The only file you really have to care about it the init.sqs. The others doesn't need to be altered any, except if you want to change something yourself.

Singleplayer missions:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">hs_cmd_que_pass = []

hs_rto_array = []

These two are just arrays needed to pass information over the net using CoC NS. Though they are needed when playing in singleplayer too, but then CoC NS isn't used at all. These two arrays should be added to the start of the init.sqs, and have to be empty.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">hs_lang_array = ["English"]

This is an array of languages available for the shouting part. At the moment there's only english available, but this is added to make it easy for people to add new languages.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">hs_pth = "\GENB_HS_core\"

This sets the path of the core file. This is was previously in the hs_init.sqs, but I needed it to be declared before that, so I moved it.

This is added so the user can alter the content of the core file and add the new changed files in the mission folder. It should be set to "\GENB_HS_core\" if you want to use the core file.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[[groups],[Unit names],[medics],[vehicles],MP?,language,leader] exec "hs_init.sqs"

This is the important thing. This is to start the handsignal system for a squad. It needs to be run once for every squad using it, though in singleplayer you obviously just need to have it once, since the AI won't use it.

[Groups]: an array of the fireteams in your group. Should be 4 groups, all named before this line runs, and the last group should contain only one unit, the RTO guy. Example: <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[hs_grp1, hs_grp2, hs_grp3, hs_RTOgrp]

[unit names]: an array of names of your units displayed when you rally. The array should hold 3 other arrays and one string.

So it should look like this [[Fireteam 1],[Fireteam 2],[Fireteam 3], String]], where Fireteam x is replaced by strings for that fireteam, and String is the name of the RTO unit (which should be alone in his group). If left empty the name of the units should be displayed.

Example: <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[["Team Leader","AT Unit","Soldier"],["Team Leader2","AA Unit"],["Good day","Cya"],"RTO"]

[medics]: array of the medics available in your squad. Medics should be named before this line runs. Example: <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[medic1, medic2]

[vehicles]: Array of vehicles that the players squad is allowed to enter. Can be changed during the mission. Example: <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[vehicle1, vehicle2]

MP?: Boolean value (true or false). Should be true if it's multiplayer, false if it's singleplayer.

language: numeric value that decides what language to use for this squad. Used to select a element from the hs_lang_array array. Note that it do not

start at 0. If you want the first element in the array, you put 1 here, NOT 0!!

leader: Name of leader of the group. Must be a human player, since the AI won't do anything anyway.

Exampleof the full line: <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[[hs_grp1,hs_grp2,hs_grp3,hs_grpRTO],[["Team1 Leader"],["Team2 Leader"],["Team3 Leader"],"RTO"],[medic1],[],false,1,hs_lead] exec "hs_init.sqs"

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[] exec (hs_pth+"hs\func_init.sqs")

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[] exec (hs_pth+"hs\command\signalqueue.sqs")

Simply just executing some new scripts I had to add. These are executed here to make sure all computers run the scripts.

Multiplayer missions:

For multiplayer missions, you have to do some changes.

In the start of the init.sqs, you have to put this line too:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">CoC_PublicArrays = ["hs_cmd_que_pass", "hs_rto_array"]

So it should look like this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">hs_cmd_que_pass = []

hs_rto_array = []

CoC_PublicArrays = ["hs_cmd_que_pass", "hs_rto_array"]

This is needed for CoC NS to work.

And also, in from of every initializationline for groups you have to add this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">? (leader != ObjNull) :

so it should look like this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">? (leader != ObjNull) : [[groups],[Unit names],[medics],[vehicles],MP?,language,leader] exec "hs_init.sqs"

And obviously leader is the name of the squads leader. This is so this line doesn't run if the leader isn't present. If the line runs and the leader doesn't exist (is disabled) then it can mess up the whole system.

That was about it. That should be enough explaining.

To see what you need to have placed in the editor, just have a quick peek at the templated wink_o.gif

--------------CHANGES FROM V1.1 to v1.2--------------

Except for the change that you can use this in multiplayer now, there's not really much changes that you need to know wink_o.gif

----------------------BUGS---------------------------

There are some known bugs that I'll list here. These bugs are from memory, so I won't say 100% that I got them all here. Besides, I don't know if I know about all the bugs.

-Some problems getting units to enter vehicles. Both MP and SP (this was present in 1.1 too I think)

-When you order a rush/retreat there seems to be a problem getting the unit to fall back into formation (mainly MP, but possibly SP too)

-Sometimes units don't move when you issue a move order. However, you should just have to issue it again and they'll move. (MP bug)

-Units sometime messes up the rally. (MP bug)

-Probably some more that I don't remember.

----------------------FEEDBACK---------------------------

If anyone finds any bugs (I would be suprised if you didn't) then send me PM at OFPEC, OFPTF or BI Forum, or send me a mail to silama@start.no (however I don't check this mail often)

or write a reply in this thread.

They will probably not be fixed in the near future, but it's better to report them than to keep them for youself wink_o.gif

----------------------SPECIAL THANKS TO------------------

HawkinsDaFin - for beta testing and letting me use his server for testing

General Barron - Obviously for making the handsignal command system in the first place, and for helping me a lot with all my problems and stupid questions. I even used his readme... :P

CoC team and mainly Killswitch - for helping me a lot in understanding CoC NS, which is vital for getting this to run in MP.

Probably some more that I don't remember :\

Download link: OFPTF

General Barron will be updating the first post once he sees this. Though he's on vacation for the next week.

MAJOR thanks to you Garcia! Sorry about the delay, but I've now updated the first post with the details. I've also taken the liberty of modifying the download package a little bit, please use this one instead of Garcia's link (and Garcia can you host this version instead please?).

Download link: (see first post)

I'm also going to announce that I'm officially ceasing development of this addon. Okay, I ended after I released v1.1, but I mean to say that I won't be working on this in Armed Assault. If anyone wants to continue working on this addon, feel free to do so and release it under your own name/tags. Also feel free to contact me if you want any help/advice. I appreciate all the support and interest that has been expressed in this little concept, and I hope people continue to improve on it in the future!

As OFPTF is down for the time being, I can host this on my site. I use this in my 'Nam missions frequently, and hosting it seems only logical to me. smile_o.gif I'm sure Garcia wont mind. Right mate? wink_o.gif

No I won't mind wink_o.gif Got nowhere to host it myself once OFPTF goes down.

Good to see you found some time to look over the addon smile_o.gif Sad to see that you won't work anymore on this thing for ArmA, but hopefully you'll find some other neat thing to make wink_o.gif

Say can i mod it to support menues in other languages

father more add voice packs

Of course you can wink_o.gif General Barron made the hand signal system so it's not very hard adding new voice packs and such. I think it should be rather easy to add new languages to the dialog too.

I'm also going to announce that I'm officially ceasing development of this addon. Okay, I ended after I released v1.1, but I mean to say that I won't be working on this in Armed Assault. If anyone wants to continue working on this addon, feel free to do so and release it under your own name/tags. Also feel free to contact me if you want any help/advice. I appreciate all the support and interest that has been expressed in this little concept, and I hope people continue to improve on it in the future!

Well, thank you G.B. for all the work you put into it. notworthy.gif

Hopefully ArmA will allow those who take up the torch to improve on the foundation you've laid.

What are your plans? Are you "leaving" OFP/ ArmA? What's the next great project?

And thank you, Garcia.

Umm, for those who's downloaded the file Hawkins hosted, it seems General Barron added the wrong core file confused_o.gif Seems he added v1.0...and Hawkins lost both his HDDs, so I dunno when the file will be updated to have the v1.2 core file.

File uploaded with the new core file. Same link as above.

Quote[/b] ]...it seems General Barron added the wrong core file...

banghead.gif Yup, I did just that. I verified Hawkins' link and it does contain v1.2. Sorry about the confusion, but I've removed the broken link so it's all ok now. Thanks a million for the mirror an the help smile_o.gif.

Quote[/b] ]Say can i mod it to support menues in other languages

father more add voice packs

Absolutely. The stringtable should already support a number of different languages, check the readme for a list (but Russian is broken, though the readme says it works).

As far as voice packs go, I would love to see those made in other languages as well. You can contact me for instructions on how to do just that, because I never got around to making a readme with instructions.

Quote[/b] ]Hopefully ArmA will allow those who take up the torch to improve on the foundation you've laid.

What are your plans? Are you "leaving" OFP/ ArmA? What's the next great project?

With all the new scripting commands, FSMs, etc in ArmA, someone is going to be able to make a MUCH better version of this than my little hack-job smile_o.gif. As for me, due to RL I won't really be doing any more public ArmA/OFP projects. I'll still be 'around', but I won't be taking on projects like this one anymore.

Has anyone ever thought of doin voice controled OFP menu ?

Yes actually, I've heard of people using a free program called Shoot! with great results. I never got around to trying this out myself, but it should be fairly easy to set up as many voice commands as you want. You'd just need to bind them to a key via Fwatch, then configure Shoot! to 'press' that key when you say the appropriate command. It should work great, would just take some time to set up. Relevant threads:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....d+voice

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....om;st=0

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....;st=105

(scroll down to lecholas' post)

Are there any mirrors for 1.2 of this mod? The one above is broken.

Apologies for bumping this years old topic but after a lot of googling and headaches I just gave up..

Anybody has the link for 1.2? :(

I have a version 1.1 - on 100% about 1.2 i must chceck my disk, but probably I don't have it... :( but it's not sure. I let You know Salvatore via pm if I find something.