Mirror #1 ofp.info

Mirror #2 ofp.info

Optional Kegetys Fwatch [350 kb]

Mirror #1 ofp.info

Mirror #2 ofp.info

Optional English sound addon [6.92 mb]

Mirror #1 (allows you to actually hear shouted orders) ofp.info

Mirror #2 ofp.info

(IMPORTANT NOTE FOR EDITORS: please see the end of this post)

WHAT IS IT?

The HS Command System is the first modification (to my knowledge) to alter one of the fundamental aspects of OFP: the means by which you command a squad. The system is a complete reworking and improvement of the command system seen in my mission Realistic Combat Patrol. From the readme:

The HS system eliminates OFP's default squad control system and replaces it with a more realistic system, based on my training as a US Marine. It is suited for commanding infantry groups ranging from 4-man fireteams to 38-man platoons, and for conflicts ranging from the early 20th century to the present day.

Gone is the highly unrealistic and powerful "birds eye view". Gone is the standard, precise, computer "point and click" interface. Gone are the personal inter-squad radios. In their place you are left with military hand signals and your own voice to command your men. If your men can't see or hear you, then they can't follow your orders. Of course, the enemy can hear you too. Sound tough? Too bad.

Commands are issued via either the radio menu (0-0-x) or a clickable dialog (with optional Fwatch enhancement). Also included is a method of using your squad radio where you actually have to be near the radio operator. Everything is easily customizable by the mission editor to suit the needs of his particular mission.

Optional sound addons allow you to actually hear shouted orders, although they aren't required for play. At the present time, only American English is available, but in the future I hope to add other languages such as Russian, German, UK English, etc.

INCLUDED DEMO MISSIONS

You heard it right: I've actually included REAL DEMO MISSIONS!

HS TUTORIAL

This mission introduces you to the new command system. You should play it first to get familiar with the controls. Spanish and Russian translations included.

RAID ON HOUDAN

A mission reminiscent of the original OFP demo mission, only a lot better! No other addons required.

RCP RESCRIPTED

This is a re-release of my original Realistic Combat Patrol mission, reworked to use the new system.

SUPPORTED LANGUAGES

English, German, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Spanish, Portuguese, and Russian.

PICS

This is a scripted mod, not a bunch of 3d models, but here are some pics none-the-less:

hs11vz.th.jpg

Rangers silently passing handsignals.

hs20ab.th.jpg

A squad rallies around their leader after taking an objective.

hs33xj.th.jpg

During rallies, check your squad's status with this dialog.

hs41jf.th.jpg

The command dialog (with optional Fwatch enhancement).

TO MAKE MISSIONS USING THE ADDON

First of all, READ THE INCLUDED EDITOR'S README! It should tell you everything you need to know.

Second, unfortunately I let something slip into the template mission that I shouldn't have, which will cause errors when you try to use it.

All you need to do is open up "hs_init.sqs", and DELETE this entire line:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">hs_pth = ""

There should be a line above it that says hs_pth = "\GENB_HS_core\"; that is the correct line to have.

Sorry for the confusion! crazy_o.gif

--------------------UPDATED TO V1.1b BY GARCIA (MP COMPATIBLE!!! )--------------------

Not compatible with missions made using v1.0/1.1

Download links: http://armed-assault.net/hawknam/Addons/GENB_hs_core_v1_2.zip

(more mirrors coming soon)

Garcia has done some incredible work and has managed to beat this beast into being MP compatible! Note that all of the work in this version has been done by him, so please direct all compliments (and especially complaints!wink_o.gif ) to Garcia.

Unfortunately, this version is not backwards compatible with missions made in v1.0/1.1.

BIG, MAJOR, SUPREME kudos to him for the great work!

Readme:

Quote[/b] ] ----------===== HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM =====----------

By General Barron

aw_barron@hotmail.com

Edited by Garcia

Silama@start.no

V1.2 BETA 26 October 2006

I've always been a big fan of General Barrons hand signal mod for OFP. However, I usually play multiplayer only, so I wanted to look into the

possibility to use the hand signals in multiplayer. I started making a mission which would use the hand signals, but after some time I turned

to edit the addon so it would be multiplayer compatible. I managed to get it working fairly good in multiplayer, but then I started at a university,

and since then I haven't had much time to edit this anymore. And since ArmA is close to being released, I'll just release this as it is.

I hope to get the time to edit it after ArmA is released, and then there's hopefully some new script commands that will come in handy.

The addon is working, to my knowledge, as good as 1.1 in singleplayer, but in multiplayer there are some problems with units following some of your commands.

Unfortunatly, THIS VERSION IS NOT COMPATABLE WITH MISSIONS MADE WITH v1.0/v1.1. Just replace the old core file with the one provided in this zip.

---------------------CHANGES FROM V1.1 to v1.2---------------------------

Except for the change that you can use this in multiplayer now, there's not really much changes that you need to know wink_o.gif

----------------------BUGS---------------------------

There are some known bugs that I'll list here. These bugs are from memory, so I won't say 100% that I got them all here. Besides, I don't know

if I know about all the bugs.

-Some problems getting units to enter vehicles. Both MP and SP (this was present in 1.1 too I think)

-When you order a rush/retreat there seems to be a problem getting the unit to fall back into formation (mainly MP, but possibly SP too)

-Sometimes units don't move when you issue a move order. However, you should just have to issue it again and they'll move. (MP bug)

-Units sometime messes up the rally. (MP bug)

-Probably some more that I don't remember.

----------------------FEEDBACK---------------------------

If anyone finds any bugs (I would be suprised if you didn't) then send me PM at OFPEC, OFPTF or BI Forum, or send me a mail to silama@start.no (however I don't check this mail often),

or write a reply in the thread for this addon (http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=4;t=48000;st=0).

They will probably not be fixed in the near future, but it's better to report them than to keep them for youself wink_o.gif

----------------------SPECIAL THANKS TO---------------------------

HawkinsDaFin - for beta testing and letting me use his server for testing

General Barron - Obviously for making the handsignal command system in the first place, and for helping me a lot with all my problems and stupid questions. I even used his readme... :P

CoC team and mainly Killswitch - for helping me a lot in understanding CoC NS, which is vital for getting this to run in MP.

Probably some more that I don't remember :\

----------------------DISCLAIMER---------------------------

This is not an official addon. Neither I, General Barron nor BIS are responsibol and neither does BIS if this does any harm to you, your

computer, or your copy of OFP. Use at your own risk!

Hope you like it. Remember, it's just a BETA addon, and if anyone feels like fixing any bugs in it and release it, don't ask me for

permission, ask General Barron wink_o.gif And I'm sure he wouldn't mind if anyone would finish this one.

-Garcia

Wow, impressive, still need to take a look at it, but it seems something that i've been looking for, for quite a while now smile_o.gif Thanks!

Very usefull stuff, but I cannot understand how to use it with the mission editor... =)

Very usefull stuff, but I cannot understand how to use it with the mission editor... =)

Did you read the editor's readme?

Wow this is nice wink_o.gif very nice job on this, to bad though u have to put all those scripts in just to use the handsingnals sad_o.gif  is there any way like u can just make it where u just dl it and it works with out doing all that scripting and stuff. Like just to have it on all units with out puting the scripts in manuly huh.gif just put in the addons where they go and all units in game have it. Or like put an gamelogic to where u put that gamelogic on the map and u have the Handsignals Command smile_o.gif like that just an easy way for me and otheres probley

Has anyone got a different mirror for it? For some reason Rapidshare never works for me huh.gif

Hey General, this sounds like a really interesting project and I'm downloading it now thumbs-up.gif

I'm volunteering for the UK English voice if you still require one smile_o.gif

Need UK voice actors? Im sure several members of RAAB would be willing to help you out.

Hi Barron

I have not read the readme yet but is this multiplayer compatible. There was another hand signal script that someone developed (cant remember who) which was much simpler than this. It worked fine in single player only. I would add actions to your command menu and when activated your anim would signal the squad and the squad would move to that formation.

Also what is the origin of the had movement, US Marines?, Army, WWII German? etc. They used different techniques.

Thanks for the great work.

The HS system eliminates OFP's default squad control system and replaces it with a more realistic system, based on my training as a US Marine. It is suited for commanding infantry groups ranging from 4-man fireteams to 38-man platoons, and for conflicts ranging from the early 20th century to the present day.

Unless I'm missing something, that answers it tounge2.gif

- Ben

Gone are the personal inter-squad radios.

Even though this sounds like an impressive piece of scripting i thought the personal radio was the present and future of coms between squad members. I would say this suits WWII to early 90s missions. I would realy like to see an updated radio coms dialog between squad members but i will definatly be using this.

Gone are the personal inter-squad radios.

Even though this sounds like an impressive piece of scripting i thought the personal radio was the present and future of coms between squad members. I would say this suits WWII to early 90s missions. I would realy like to see an updated radio coms dialog between squad members but i will definatly be using this.

i agree, orthrough shouting is most used IRL yet inter-squad radios is still a must for many things work too, if not then what the hell you carry that for? confused_o.gif

WAHOO looks amazing downloading this for sure may even use it in a mission but is it alright if i edit it sligtly so i can use some more advance instrusctions like set up a perimeter or covering fire ?

great work GB

EDIT - Just tryed downloading and its Rapid share and for eosme reason i always have trouble downloading from there can someone provide another link

Wow, just had a quick play around with the demo mission. Very different experience and very cool. I feel the Jungle calling... wink_o.gif

Nice one.

smile_o.gif

notworthy.gif

Wow! Great stuff, G.B.

I like how the squad will maintain its position relative to you, but not so strictly as the "old" way. I can back step and shift/strafe left or right and they'll remain in place; they move only when I move forward.

Some things I've found, a few you're probably already well aware of and some suggestions mixed in:

1) No sound for "Move out"

2) Is it the Team Leader that's highlighted with Target box? If so, it seems he's highlighted yet the first one to react to hand signals is the closest man to the player, not always the team leader?

3) RTO rushes with the squad. Shouldn't he be stuck like glue to the player, staying as near to the player as he does when marching?

4) "Adding some of the default OFP squad commands that were not yet included". Will that include setting the squad to "safe", use the tactical/alert carry? (I use Sanc's and Locke's anims...)

5) At least for the RTO, what if clicking "RTO" automatically ordered him to move to the player? Then would another order be issued.

6) Player hasn't moved check? If the player hasn't moved in 20-30 seconds, squad halts in place automatically.

7) "Get-In" from "Rally": I did a head count right before ordering them on the helo. When I did issue the order, they crawled to the helo. How about they stand automatically after receiving "get-in" order?

8) Tutorial:

a. The first time we landed near arty range, two fire teams ran off to the north. I think they were chasing the helo, as I think I gave too many "get-in" orders.

b. Not sure as to when the radio/arty portion of the Tute was complete. I used up all my fire missions, but no indication my period of instruction was completed.

9) HS_Template.Intro: Nothing major, but the init was called from the "hs" directory, but you'd left it in the mission's main directory.

I don't know what it is, but I'm not as cavalier with this "new" squad as I am with one using the default system. I guess you could say I "care" about them a bit more. It is a tougher fight with your system. Maybe it's my attack (I'm moving west to east, trying to clear out the outposts, then moving to Houdan. I hammer the second, inner outpost with arty as I hit the western one) but I've died every time, usually losing all but one to two of my Marines. (See what seven years in the Wing did to me!!!!wink_o.gif)

Any chance of custom formations getting into this (I hope I didnt miss that earlier crazy_o.gif). Would be nice to use marine based movement formations as well.

Yeah, that is on his "to-do" list:

Quote[/b] ]-Add more formations