Sign in to follow this  
DracoPaladore

Jarhead

Sorry man, my computer refuses to click anything having "apple" in it.

j/k.... The story looks pretty good....

If you liked full metal jacket, youll like this one - and i loooved fmj smile_o.gif

Cool, hope it wont take too long till it reaches cinemas in Germany. biggrin_o.gif

I read that book last year while on an airline from Seatac to Dulles. The book was interesting, the only problem I had was how big of a whiner and cry baby the author was.

I have a friend who's a currently serving marine who almost got shot in Iraq twice and he never complains about joining. He told me basically "Hey I joined it was my choice, it's the marines they fight wars what do people expect a tea party?" The author of the book though complains incessantly about the marines, how big a fool he was to enlist, and how he never expected the marines to be involved in a military operation or having to fight.

All that said I still recommend the book. It's a good light read, plus it's always a good thing to get other perspectives on a situation, even if it's from the perspective a whiner.

I stumbled across this on the weekend as well.

It looks like it might do a good job keeping with the general tone of the book. But I did notice they couldn't help but Hollywood-ise it by throwing in combat scenes. You'll recall in the book he rarely saw any combat. A few harrowing moments such as being under arty fire and observing a minefield from a hide. But other than that Swofford comments on how anti-climatic the whole war was for him.

Oh well....gotta sell it to the masses I guess. What makes the timing of this perfect though is the anti-war sentiment in the US. Should be a film that I hope triggers more debate between pro and anti war parties.

What was the last spoken line???

I could hardly understand..

The only thing I understood is "Ooo-ahh"..

"Ooh-rah". Motivational slogan or something for the Marines. Not entirely sure what it's signifigance is, but I know they use it.

I think there's even a Marine magainze called "Ooh-rah".

looks like a OK movie. Never read the book.

The book doesn't exactly lend itself to your typical Hollywood movie- a much better choice would be The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell by John Crawford... though I imagine that if Jarhead does well enough someone will option the rights to Crawford's book as well.

"Ooh-rah". Motivational slogan or something for the Marines. Not entirely sure what it's signifigance is, but I know they use it.

I think there's even a Marine magainze called "Ooh-rah".

lmfao for when people say that.. sometimes it makes them sound a bit queea  crazy_o.gif

and Jarhead.. wink_o.gif what kinda name is that crazy_o.gif

@ Aug. 23 2005,04:33)]The book doesn't exactly lend itself to your typical Hollywood movie- a much better choice would be The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell by John Crawford... though I imagine that if Jarhead does well enough someone will option the rights to Crawford's book as well.

Crawford's book has been sold out everywhere I've gone. confused_o.gif

I liked "Jarhead" - the guy's kind of irritable, annoyed and impatient attitude reminded me of my time in service. I'm very much looking forward to the movie.

When I read the book, I got the impression he had mixed feelings about having been in, like it was something he needed to get out of his system either way.

If there adding battles and stuff, I'm already a bit suspect towards the film, I liked the sort of bitter tone of the book. It wasn't just about his time in the gulf, he tries to explain what made him want to be a Marine and stuff.

Did anyone ever see Anthony Swofford on the Daily Show?

@ Aug. 23 2005,04:33)]The book doesn't exactly lend itself to your typical Hollywood movie- a much better choice would be The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell by John Crawford... though I imagine that if Jarhead does well enough someone will option the rights to Crawford's book as well.

Crawford's book has been sold out everywhere I've gone. confused_o.gif

It's really outstanding- I burned through it in a day, it was so good.

@ Aug. 31 2005,06:02)]

Crawford's book has been sold out everywhere I've gone.  confused_o.gif

It's really outstanding- I burned through it in a day, it was so good.

I agree with Tex [uSMC]

The book was great. Let's just hope that the movie portrays the corps with respect in the movie.

and Jarhead..  wink_o.gif what kinda name is that  crazy_o.gif

It's like someone who is a paratrooper callin someone who isn't a 'leg', 'Boot' etc.

Term of endearment.

Would be preferred/understandable/acceptable to be used by a fellow service member rather than a civilian.

Just wanted to clear that up for some of you.

smile_o.gif

I saw it last night as we were testing the film. I thought that it was okay, not much action but I suppose that is what Desert Shield/Storm was. I just don't like how every Desert Storm movie is pretty much about US Soldiers screwing around (Partying, doing other stupid crap) in the desert (with the exception of Bravo2-0).

I saw it last night as we were testing the film. I thought that it was okay, not much action but I suppose that is what Desert Shield/Storm was. I just don't like how every Desert Storm movie is pretty much about US Soldiers screwing around (Partying, doing other stupid crap) in the desert (with the exception of Bravo2-0).

Uh.. thats what they did. What the hell else do you do for 5-6 months in the desert with only three days of action? Hell.. I was screwing off in the army after 5-6 minutes of being bored.

And I was bored a lot.

Anyway, I saw the movie. Thought it was excellent.

All I did when I served was bitching and listen to my buddies bitch, play pranks and get in fights. If you can't fight an enemy, you're fighting bordom. Like Swoff all thinking soldiers must come to terms with being an expendable rescource.

'I love this job, I thank god for every day he gives me in the core - Oohrah.'

Uh.. thats what they did. What the hell else do you do for 5-6 months in the desert with only three days of action? Hell.. I was screwing off in the army after 5-6 minutes of being bored.

And I was bored a lot.

Anyway, I saw the movie. Thought it was excellent.

Alright. well I guess it was accurate then. Still not a big fan of it though.

I really hope it portrays the book. I will try and convince someone to go see it with me, I hate going to the movies alone, having to do all the handwork yourself is just so tiresome biggrin_o.gif

It depends on how people interpret it.

I would interpret at is a fine example of wasting youth. A sad picture of what people are asked to do for such a nutty society. I would interpret the author saying: We did all this, we hyped ourselves up to rip people apart and kill anything that moved, then we were left without release. How do you expect us to just go back to normal you fuckwits? All I wanted to do was kill for my country, to kill people. ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

However I'm sure a lot of Americans are going to interpret is as a heart compelling story of brotherhood, courage, fearlessness, god bless the green machine and some good ol' all american heroism ... *pukes*

As for showing respect for the Marine Corps, I would show the USMC the same respect as a highly intelligent serial killer. Well done on doing it with such skill and in highly imaginitive ways, your still a sicko though.