Sign in to follow this  
PhantomStalker

wind and other environmental things affecting play

Since I hear op flash 2 will have animals and a more realistic environment, im wondering if that environment will affect the gameplay.

will tanks get stuck in mud? will bad weather ground air ops? will wind affect a snipers bullet? Will the cold or the heat have effect on how your soldier moves and the overall "health"(not health bar)

I would love as a sniper to not only have to adjust for bullet drop and elevation, but also the wind.

I, too would like to see advanced bullet physics for tanks and soldiers. Would be cool to have to really account for wind and bullet trajectory as a sniper.

They probably won't include the soldier movement speed affected by heat, but wind making it more difficult to fly would be extremely cool and do-able.

Tanks getting stuck in the mud would be really difficult to implement unless it is a frusterating, random system, however it can be made so weather adjusts vehicle's traction. That would be cool.

I'd rather not see a mud effect in a game unless they can get it right. I dont know if anyone here has ever taken a 4x4 through mud or offroad terrain in real life, but a random "if you drive here you will get stuck" system would be really stupid IMO. Mud isnt random. How "soupy" the terrain is depends a lot on the type of soil, vegetation, water content, how easily it drains into streams, and probably a million other factors that I doubt would be worth even bothering with. Soil near buildings is usually compacted so the foundations dont shift and no matter how wet it is, you probably cannot get stuck. However, a freshly tilled field would be tricky to navigate if it is level and there is a lot of stagnant water from a rain.

Wind in Game 2 = For the win.

Honestly I can't wait to have more realistic limitations on accuracy both in terms of simulating human error and environmental influences. I truly hope it happens in some capacity.

I think wind affecting bullets would take realism too far. Most of the players are not expert marksmen, and we expect the bullet go where we aim it. If wind affected bullets, there would have to be a very long base camp in the beginning of the game, to teach players about aiming. I'm having enough trouble firing on moving targets in distance without the wind.

It's easy to tell where the wind is blowing irl, but not so easy in game. Players would have to judge the wind by visual clues only. I wouldn't mind wind affecting graphical elements though, like grass, clouds, trees, smoke and other.

1. If it's included you need to have an indicator on your GUI telling you from which direction the wind blows and how strong it blows.

2. Make it an option. Realism junkies may turn it on, other people (like me) may turn it off.

1. If it's included you need to have an indicator on your GUI telling you from which direction the wind blows and how strong it blows.

2. Make it an option. Realism junkies may turn it on, other people (like me) may turn it off.

it could never be a personal option... if there was an option either way it would definitly be server side.

Im suprised there is anyone BUT realism nuts who love op flash..its realism was unmatched.

it could never be a personal option... if there was an option either way it would definitly be server side.

Im suprised there is anyone BUT realism nuts who love op flash..its realism was unmatched.

You're talking about mp, in this case the server has to decide, but in sp an option wouldn't be such a bad idea. Or am I missing something? huh.gif

Well, I like realism in games, but in my opinion there is gamplay first, then realism. Gameplay in OFP is great, because it's very realistic, but it's not as realistic as a real simulation, it's somewhere between an action game and a simulation, and it's the perfect mixture in my opinion.

Well, in case of multiplay I am all way for it.

Why? Because everykiddo wants to be sniper. If you include ballistics affected by wind, sniping would be left to professionals. Same opinion about increased realism in regard to vehicle simulation. Powerful weaponry should be more difficult to handle.

Quote[/b] ]I think wind affecting bullets would take realism too far. Most of the players are not expert marksmen, and we expect the bullet go where we aim it.

Kentucky windage my friend.

Aim, respot, compensate.

It draws out firefights to a more realistic level, and I'm absolutely sick of cracking off ridiculously accurate shots at long distances, both doing them and having them done to me.

I want gunfights, and simply increasing the dispersion is a really sad sad substitute.

Quote[/b] ]Well, in case of multiplay I am all way for it.

Me too! Especially because of the multiplayer aspect.

Quote[/b] ]Why? Because everykiddo wants to be sniper.

Quote[/b] ]Most of the players are not expert marksmen, and we expect the bullet go where we aim it.

whistle.gif

I must say I'm at complete concurrence with the former quote and totally at-odds with the sentiment of the latter.

There are plenty of games out there that cater to those needs. OFP is supposed to be a slightly more erudite simulation.

Quote[/b] ]If you include ballistics affected by wind, sniping would be left to professionals. Same opinion about increased realism in regard to vehicle simulation. Powerful weaponry should be more difficult to handle.

I agree again, wholeheartedly. It's tiresome to see everyone equally proficient at everything, being the law master, sniper-gods that you typically see in multiplayer games. Although I would rephrase your last sentence to state: "Applications of weaponry and vehicles of an advanced nature should entail greater difficulty."

People forget that feats of marksmanship can be performed with any firearm (not just sniper rifulz. Omg.), it's just more apparently difficult hits should be just that, more difficult and require more adeptitude to perform.

Imagine an ofp game where everyone brings something unique to the table. Drivers, pilots, snipers, etc. All honing individual abilities that create believeable roles in a combat situation.

I would not mind more realistic ballistics, as long as they dont pull the bs swat 4 and bf2 did with like random bullets, so your aiming at a dude and bullets just go wherever they randomly well please.

I want there to be a realistic rhyme and reason to where bullets go.

Quote[/b] ]PhantomStalker Posted on Aug. 25 2005,01:06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would not mind more realistic ballistics, as long as they dont pull the bs swat 4 and bf2 did with like random bullets, so your aiming at a dude and bullets just go wherever they randomly well please.

I want there to be a realistic rhyme and reason to where bullets go.

Seconded by 99.9% of this forum, I believe.

@Baphomet:  You truely speak from the bullet-ridden heart of an OFP warrior. tounge2.gif   To have enough simulation detail in each activity, so the person may hone their skills, not the avatar, would be a great thing.  Imagine the sense of accomplishment one would have.

Just remeber, it's a game.. Games are supposed to be fun.. Theres a limit to how realistic a game can be before it becomes a chore to play... OFP has a great level of this (It's fun, if you die it's because you did something wrong, most of the time, the other is due to the AI being able to shoot though things mainly tounge2.gif)

Sure you could turn the game into a super-realistic game, where you have to adjust the scope for distance, wind, that tiny bit of dirt on the barrel. But :

In reality, you could look at weather forcasts for wind directons, you could shove your head up and fell the direction of the wind, and you'd also spend years training and practising.. Not exactly the sort of thing that makes for a good game now, is it?

OFP got this about right. Continuing using the sniper example.. Anyone can pick it up and shoot someone, but it normaly takes half a mag to hit someone, and then they get shot back. Where as someone who practising can get near enough 1 kill per 2 shots.. The M16, someone who's never palyed OFP before can hit someone 15m away fine, but when it gets further away it gets a lot harder, but someone who's played OFP for a while can shoot people easily enough when their a few pixels..

An option to put the wind affecting bullets (realisticly, in cadet mode the bullets drift a little, just enough for you to know it's there, basicly), having to adjust the scope's range could be in cadet mode and veteran, but in vet mode you have to judge the distance, in cadet mode you could use the move-cursour to get it for example.. Just like in OFP.

Hopefully these could be set by the mission designer, so someone can't "cheat" and put the options to super-easy, unless the mission designer doesn't set them, then you can change them

Once again, if the game's too realistic, it loses the fun aspect, which is extremely important in a game..

- Ben

DBR_ONIX,  OFP has always been 'tuneable' to the levels one wants in any mode.  I hope this continues for just the reasons you typed.  Think it would be nice if the lovers of WGL type mods (those who LIKE the fact that if takes a freekin' long time to set up a machine gun or mortar position while the enemy is closing), will be able to enable the detailed controls, while the more action oriented, just wanna have fun types, can disable and have simplified controls.  A great, but subtle strength that BIS put in, is that when you log onto two different servers, you can end up playing two VERY different games of OFP.  Quite wise of them methinks smile_o.gif

once I figured out I could change modes I went to vet and never turned back. I like it when theres no gui and crap on the screen that helps you.

I think to many of us the realism is what MAKES the game fun. I cant play games like quake, cs, moh, cod,etc etc for the simple reason they are unrealistic and annoying arcadey things.

for some people realism=fun.

Actually bullets in OFP are effected by wind at long range depending on the weather conditions. I remember many times where I've had to aim to the side of the target a fair bit to allow for the wind on long shots.

once I figured out I could change modes I went to vet and never turned back. I like it when theres no gui and crap on the screen that helps you.

I think to many of us the realism is what MAKES the game fun. I cant play games like quake, cs, moh, cod,etc etc for the simple reason they are unrealistic and annoying arcadey things.

for some people realism=fun.

I agree with you... But I also think games like CS (although I havent played it in about 3 years) is fun as well... Simply because its a competive... And as a competive being, I think its fun.

I'd really like the environment to affect how players go about their business. Wind affecting flight would be quite cool.

As for the mud idea, I think it could be fun, but only if mud appeared in likely places (i.e. not randomly) after a rainstorm. Likely places might be certain locations at the bottoms of hills, along well-traveled dirt roads, or maybe in craters (imagine dynamically-created craters like in Far Cry turning to mud during a storm--very cool). Also the mud should dry up after a day or so (depending upon weather) and should only SLOW certain vehicles down, not stop them outright.

Adjusting windage for rifles would be quite cool as well, though only if it's done right. In addition to the afformentioned benefits to the sniping community, it would make long-distance shooting a bit harder, and sort of put more emphasis on maneuvering into place and finding a good firing position. Maybe on lower difficulties a little 3D arrow could appear in the corner of the screen, showing the direction of the wind relative to the player character? Realism/Difficulty fiends could turn it off and target enemies the old-fashioned way.