Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

Stargate Mod Released

try a different browser

EDIT: Fixed, should work with ie too.

try a different browser

EDIT: Fixed, should work with ie too.

That was fast!!! Thanks Walmis for the fix. I'll try a different browser too to see if there is a better one than IE.

Thanks again.

I only know for sure that they threatened to sue ofpc.de.

Even though we only post news ... big companys suck i tell you that confused_o.gif

The described charges are to be taken seriously by every fansite that ever published anything about this mod. The material is prone to copyright violations and everyone who ever showed pictures of it or hosted those files should think about removing them.

Especially in connection with advertisement on the same site any third-class lawyer can make you pay big time. If there's no ads or the download isn't on your server, you're probably ok.

I cannot go into detail about the letter that has been sent to us, as it is confidential, but it's serious.

The described charges should probabley be taken the same way as if they were being said by a drunken tramp, what grounds does MGM have to sue a site for putting up news about something? Or, has freedom of the press suddenly been revoked?

The described charges should probabley be taken the same way as if they were being said by a drunken tramp, what grounds does MGM have to sue a site for putting up news about something? Or, has freedom of the press suddenly been revoked?

Read again. A drunken tramp won't force you to pay a lawyer and possibly appear before court.

If there's ads and a download link to copyrighted material on the same page, the legal owner of the copyright can sue you, based on the assumption that you made money offering that download. I couldn't believe that myself, but apparently it's the state of our legal system.

Several people already received letters and are now facing the costs for a lawyer - and no insurance will pay for it.

Now so many problems here,

Firstly you're saying that a drunken tramp won't start a lawsuit, yet, you've already said MGM is.

Secondly, the pictures of SG:mod aren't copyright to MGM, are they?

Thirdley, AFAIK, OFPC.de is subject to the German legal system, it doesn't have a .com address, does it?

Fourthly, why is the internet not under UN control? I mean, why? What were the American's thinking? (if, at all)

Easiest way to avoid the accusations of profit making is to include a disclaimer. And also to include the copyright accreditation to MGM somewhere.

That way, you are giving them full credit for the Stargate franchise, and declaring your non profit goals.

Sounds labourious, but if you want to keep your arse covered, best to do it. The OFP SGC page needs it for a start.

Sounds labourious, but if you want to keep your arse covered, best to do it. The OFP SGC page needs it for a start.

Im hoping i wont have to go on and see "MGM have taken control of this site" biggrin_o.gif

Didn't something like this happen to some HLË› SG mods?

You have to be very careful with these companies...

just thoguht id say that there is no profit making on the ofp-sgc site so i think that that site is ok.

i heard that this is what happend to the older SG mod's that never published any work.

was frightend this would happen for a while now since i heard about the other sites.

also Dave the internet is not controled by anyone.

also MGM are putting in 55million dollars intotheir MMORPG game theri making Stargate worlds so i can see why theyd be a bit pissed.

Quote[/b] ]just thoguht id say that there is no profit making on the ofp-sgc site so i think that that site is ok.

All very well stating it here, but that has to be written somewhere on the website.

haha, if i was making something which breached US Copyright laws i would say "Stfu" and release it anyways.. Its not going to harm anyone and its just for people who play the game.. Its not like there getting money for some1 elses work wink_o.gif

Screw Stupid Copyright Laws.. thumbs-up.gifwow_o.gif

"Lifes an adventure, make it a good one" - All they can do is email im going take legal action.. id just reply stufu noobs im in a differnt country your laws dont apply to me.. just try and assasinate me nener.gif

I am scared huh.gif

Any major updates on SG addons?

Erm, is the SG command center released i saw a pick from someone else that had it, not the author so i put 4 and 9 together and made 15 notworthy.gif

Confused? whistle.gif

You betta be thumbs-up.gif

help.gif

What do i need to play SG for multiplayer?

Are there Islands / Planets released for the SG-MOD?

What is the differnts between 1.3 and 1.4?

Lets get the facts correct:-

1. Stargate name:-

it means a gateway to the stars/otherworlds in literature. Anyone dares own that word? For that matter, anyone owns ANY word?

2. A circular portal to a different universe:-

Is such a concept owned by MGM? Were there any other circular portals design to an alternate universe before MGM's? The answer is plenty, way back to the first silent movies...

3. Military secret experiments into this 'stargate portal:-

Is such concepts owned by MGM? First off, who owns the US army uniforms? Who owns the concept of laser guns? Who owns the concepts of batwing type planes? Who owns concepts of 'aliens' and their uniforms? Were there any other 'US sci-fi military experiments into other worlds concept before?

4. Are we using any part of MGM's game engine, modding tools or textures? Are the models similiar in size 100%?

So what pirating are we really talking about? If i was a judge, i would throw any such case outta the window and chastisize the lawyers for wasting my time! mad_o.gif

Is such a concept owned by MGM? Were there any other circular portals design to an alternate universe before MGM's? The answer is plenty, way back to the first silent movies...

very true... i doubt the dev team of the good old game "outcast" (1999 ? - that was after stargate the movie, same for SG1 which started in 1997...) ever got sued by MGM...

shamazaar01.jpg

the whole game is a lot like stargate, its basically a scientific experiment to travel to another world via a vortex of some kind... something goes wrong and you find yourself alone in a different world where the natives have gates looking a lot like the MGM's ones that they use to go from one region to another... sounds a lot like stargate to me and they never had any problems despite the game being commercial and not some free addon....

Ahhh Outcast! still after all these years the best game ever created in my opinion yay.gif

It was a said day when Outcast 2 was cancelled

Anyway just keep releasing Stargate content and screw MGM, Never back down from these poeple or they will end up owning your life.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Lets get the facts correct:-

1. Stargate name:-

it means a gateway to the stars/otherworlds in literature. Anyone dares own that word? For that matter, anyone owns ANY word?

When you use the word “Stargate†in a context referring to MGM’s TV show either directly or indirectly you are using MGM’s IP.

As above

3. Military secret experiments into this 'stargate portal:-

Is such concepts owned by MGM? First off, who owns the US army uniforms? Who owns the concept of laser guns? Who owns the concepts of batwing type planes? Who owns concepts of 'aliens' and their uniforms? Were there any other 'US sci-fi military experiments into other worlds concept before?

The concept isn’t owned by MGM and if you can prove that the ‘idea’ you pitch is ‘legally distinct’ from MGM’s IP then you don’t have a problem.

4. Are we using any part of MGM's game engine, modding tools or textures? Are the models similiar in size 100%?

They are ‘similar’ in design which is enough for most lawyers and Courts.

So what pirating are we really talking about? If i was a judge, i would throw any such case outta the window and chastisize the lawyers for wasting my time!  mad_o.gif

Lets get some facts straight... you aren’t a lawyer and obviously don’t understand the concept of “Intellectual Property†and copyright.

I may not be a lawyer but I do have quite a lot of experience with copyright issues and IP legal issues.

You may not be using their tools or game engine BUT you are using their  Intellectual Property - by referring to the "Stargate" TV show in anyway.

As for what is considered 'necessary' to spur MGM's legal team to spring into action I don’t know but as was said in another thread they appear to be going after sites that support these Mods now - sites that they can make a legal case for "loss of revenue" against.  It may suck and you may not like it but that’s the worlds you live in.  get used to it and accept reality.

Facts are facts and remained the truth no matter how it is said and cannot be twisted unless one is a liar...oops, spelling error, lawyer.

If one insists that

a. Lawyers are God, Judge and Jury rolled into one,

b. Layman are too stupid to understand common law,

c. being bullied is enjoyable and wants others to enjoy being bullied,

there's nothing i can do, just wish that one good luck.

America's progress thru centuries was built upon creative entreprenuership. If IBM had its way, we wouldnt have home computers and bill gates would be languishing in a state pennitiary instead of living in a palace.

MGM is now a laffing stock with their legal bullying actions - cos to take action against mods is tantamount to admitting that their million dollars spent created game is so lousy that others are gravitating to creative mods to have a good time instead of MGM's created addons, engine, and missions, for a timeless sci-fi 'portal' experience.

Peace biggrin_o.gif

I love how people refer to millionaires as "laughingstock". I could be so lucky.

--Ben

HI All i need the addon "BD SG Team Group" can someone post it or make a big stargtemod pack with it all old links are Dead please help me

Thanks

Masterhorn

Ps i try Whaith sond check mission and groups faild i need itand also puddel jumper

Is this Mod still running,if so when can we expect a release of the addons so far in some form of pack.