Sign in to follow this  
sanctuary

Substract through a 3D form

Hello

I am learning , thanks to Brsseb tutorial a thing or two about O2.

But , while creating a weapon , i ran into some situations where it would speed up the process a very very lot to substract.

As i was used to the old Unrealed from 1999 (and was patched to Unrealed2 some time after) , in my mind the substract feature in 3D environment is meaning "making" hole in a 3D form.

As my english is not that good, here is a quick example draw of a simple situation where this Substract feature would help my time a lot.

example1lb.jpg

I tried everything i could in O2 , even the 'split/hole' option suggested in the only thread i found here (as it is one year old i didn't "bumped" it), and always failed to achieve this in theory simple substract operation.

So , i begin to wonder is this just possible in O2 ? or is it a missing feature that is available in other program and not in O2

Or am i forced to create manually faces by faces (helped with the create box option so i can move the vertices) part by part the final 3D form i want ?

I just hope such Substract option exist in O2 and has just escaped my view because i am a beginner with that program.

/cross fingers

Those things are (usually) called boolean operations, and no, O2 cannot do them. Using them to do low polygon modelling for games isn't often a very good idea anyway, as most such algorithms can cause the face count to easily become very high so you're better off doing it "manually".

Until now my weapons had +/- 600 faces in its first LOD (and progressively a lot less in the last LODS to save ingame performance) .

But thinking about the multiplication of faces you pointed to me , maybe it is a good thing to be forced to add the little details i add in mind manually instead of using an automated "substract" process that could go a bit uncontrolled.

Thank you for the answer, at least i will not be stopped by this anymore and can move on with the manual way.

If you need a free low poly modeller with boolean feature and, most important, a 3ds export function then you might wanna check out http://www.wings3d.com/ biggrin_o.gif I personally start to love that nice peace of software as it works much faster then oxygen if you want to create things from the scratch.. wink_o.gif