Sign in to follow this  
silent wings

military service

im gonna join the RAF on march the 13th,does n e 1 who was in the military of any country have any stories or advice or anything.

ask Pete he was the morter d00d

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (silent wings @ Jan. 17 2002,14:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">im gonna join the RAF on march the 13th,does n e 1 who was in the military of any country have any stories or advice or anything.<span id='postcolor'>

cool pal congrats stick at it man, enjoy it, learn much.=]]

congrats, the forces is the best life stlye, much betta than being a civvi

Im gonna join the army, hopefully do sumthing with artillary then move onto the army air core smile.gif

Guest Scooby

Joining army and artillery dont fit into same sentence.

artillery...dont join them, you only end up being insulted by all other military branches (rightfully so hehe)

if you want something big to shoot with that goes BOOM and makes big holes in the ground....go for infantry/mortars.

but be warned, you get to carry a LOT...you can count on becoming 10-15 cm shorter just cos your bones get pressed together by the weight of all the stuff you carry.

the most important thing one MUST learn in the army...its to be insignificant, hide behind others, never volunteer, to be invisible.....if you manage to do that, you never get the shitty duties to dig "toilets" or to carry big barrels with food for a mile or two.

only in the movies you see men volunteer, in real life nobody does it..cos they know volunteers get the worst duties (to get all snow off a street or so)..and when no volunteers exist then the nearest guys end up with it.......so, learn to hide behing others smile.gif

good on ya was in the british army for 6 yrs had a ball good life sometimes wish I had stayed in but hey I wouldn`t be living in aus if I did !!!Shame your a craphat though.

im an air force brat, but i plan to join the army. the military life is pretty easy, atleast for the US. not sure about the UK. when over seas, no taxes, when on a US military base any where, US, UK, Portugal, etc, no taxes. someplaces get boring but over all, its fairly easy.

I finished my military service 11 years ago, and I certainly hope it stays that way. No really, it was fun sometimes but mostly boring - and bloody cold (Norway). Not like the films at all! smile.gif

Good luck - hope you like it!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (loopy @ Jan. 19 2002,02:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">good on ya was in the british army for 6 yrs had a ball good life sometimes wish I had stayed in but hey I wouldn`t be living in aus if I did !!!Shame your a craphat though.<span id='postcolor'>

Whast a craphet btw?

My brother joined the RAF 2 years he could help if u want.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Monkey Lib Front @ Jan. 19 2002,12:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whast a craphet btw?<span id='postcolor'>

It is what Paras call anyone who isnt a para.

It is refering to the cap badge or regimnets crest.

Paras believe they are the best

im joining as a propulsion technician,preferably working on attack helicopters....only prob is im 6'5.5 and only 70 kg,,im training 2 get fit but i also need to put on weight,im getting fitter,but not stronger and im getting lighter despite eating almost constantly,loadsa protein and carbos....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">if you want something big to shoot with that goes BOOM and makes big holes in the ground....go for infantry/mortars.

<span id='postcolor'>

Hhmm... You're finnish, right (somehow I got hat impression)? Where'd you serve with mortars? Did you use the 120mm mothers or the 80mm ones? I was in Säkylä. We shot with those 120mm pounders.

It's cool being with the mortars. Not only are you not an artillery moron, but also you are not a ground hugging rifleman... Best of both worlds. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ Jan. 23 2002,15:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">if you want something big to shoot with that goes BOOM and makes big holes in the ground....go for infantry/mortars.

<span id='postcolor'>

Hhmm... You're finnish, right (somehow I got hat impression)? Where'd you serve with mortars? Did you use the 120mm mothers or the 80mm ones? I was in Säkylä. We shot with those 120mm pounders.

It's cool being with the mortars. Not only are you not an artillery moron, but also you are not a ground hugging rifleman... Best of both worlds.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, Säkylä. I served there in 3JK. (when it was recon company). I was a sniper and the biggest "gun" I got to shoot was a LAW (not the practise but a real one).