Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

Laser designators

Guys,

I've been playing a couple of missions that have laser designators, namely Operation Snakebite and Operation Stormhammer.

We've had trouble making it work as expected. I thought that one player would point the LD at a target and the LGB A10 would come along, drop the bomb near the target and the bomb would hit where the designator was pointing.

Needless to say, it didn't work. In Snakebite, I had the target illuminated nicely, the pilot came in from 800 ft and dove onto the target, but the bomb missed by a considerable margin. This isnt a huge problem as the mission can still be completed.

In Stormhammer, it means we are stuck and at the moment, we are actually considering that the whole concept of designation isn't actually modeled in these missions and is just for show.

So, could anyone give me some guidance on how to make this work for us?

Thanks in advance,

Complain to Lockheed Martin telling them that one of their bombs has a faulty laser seeker. If it's not that, then perhaps the guidance canards are out.

It's probably nothing to do with the LDM because it's made of polygons. Plus, I doubt that you dropped it at any time in the mission.

I reckon it's down to the pilot to be honest. His height and speed are what normally get him mixed up with targeting. Try aiming the laser off the target a bit to see if you can hit it that way. Perhaps designating the target from a different angle would work. Maybe at the opposite side to what you are trying now.

Well the pilot needs to wait for the target to lock... just pointing the LD at the target isnt enough.

If the pilot is in your group, you need to tell him to target

"laser" (its an option in the "target" squad command menu) and he should do it. If the pilot is not in your group, I think its all a matter of what AI chooses as their target crazy_o.gif

Aha!

Right, I'll try that and report back.

Yes, that worked a treat. Thank you very much. I need to know where to find a hand held designator. I'll fire up another thread about that.

As Fubar locked my other thread, I'll just drop a note in here to say thanks to everyone for their help. We've got this sussed now.

Update! We haven't got it sussed! sad_o.gif

I've given my man a laser designator and a magazine for it, but it doesn't work. It doesn't seem to "activate"; there's no red dot projected.

Am I doing something wrong?

I've been able to designate targets successfuly using the OH-58.

Yes crosshairs are enabled.

I've taken some screenshots to illustrate my problem.

Firstly, from a test mission I've made, you can see the designator is not working. Here is the init string I've given this soldier;

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this AddWeapon "laserdesignator";  this addMagazine "laserdesignator";

lasernotworking.jpg

And below is a screenshot from Operation Stormhammer.

laserworking.jpg

You'll note that in the top picture, the weapon name in the top left corner is red, which I take to mean "unloaded", but of course, there is no way to "reload" an LD and in any case, I have given the man a magazine, as you can see in the soldier init string.

Given that in the lower picture, where you can see the designation dot and it's working, (the A-10 pilot says he can see it) the weapon name is in green writing and indeed, has a round up the spout, so to speak, I'm assuming this "unloaded LD" is the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Nip into mission editor, go to west, search the men for Black Op, Laser.

Then test it.

or even easier. try to add the magazine BEFORE the weapon.

like this

This addMagazine "laserdesignator"; this addWeapon "laserdesignator"

becouse, if you want the weapon to start loaded you should ALWAYS enter the magazine before the weapon, and since the laserdesignator cant be reloaded in game this is extra important in this case smile_o.gif

hope it works smile_o.gif

or even easier. try to add the magazine BEFORE the weapon.

like this

This addMagazine "laserdesignator"; this addWeapon "laserdesignator"

becouse, if you want the weapon to start loaded you should ALWAYS enter the magazine before the weapon, and since the laserdesignator cant be reloaded in game this is extra important in this case smile_o.gif

hope it works smile_o.gif

That didn't work. Same unloaded LD problem.

Nip into mission editor, go to west, search the men for Black Op, Laser.

Then test it.

That worked!

Indeed. smile_o.gif

So, is there an equally simple solution to the other one, where I issue a soldier a LD by means of the init string, but it turns out to be unloaded?

The problem still isn't solved in my opinion. What happens when we want a non BIS soldier to be armed with a LD?