Sign in to follow this  
.kju

mission makers' option on re-releasing ...

hello  smile_o.gif

this thread is not intented to get the correct answer/way,

but more like to get how the feeling is upon most mappers for this question.

so its about re-releasing a made mission / campaign 'just having all units' converted to a mod.

which is basically units, vehilces, weapons and such. no other changes.

(besides balance stuff and bugfixing ...)

credits will be given no question. yet is there the need to ask

each individual mapper by himself or it is giving them credis 'enough'.

how do you feel ?

i'd like to add some points here on my own:

making new maps and especially campaigns is a hell of a lot work !

no things are altered or ripped off.

yet i do think whats most important and for what things are normally made are to be played !

in my opinion the most important thing is that 'my work' is being used and enjoyed !

thumbs-up.gif

i started a topic about that

but it seems youll have to ask permission which will take ages

if any

since ive been redoing some old missions with new addons and i tell you the missions goes up a notch.

i really think we should be able to re release missions with the new addons without their permission but with the original authors credits

im all for it but it think you would still have to ask permission which i cant really be bothered

of course permission should be seeked, missions like addons are the intelectual property of the creator. Its a shame to see, that not the same respect is brought towards missions as for addons, noone would alter an addon and release it without seeking the permission of the maker confused_o.gif

personally when i release a mission i dont expect people to ask me permission to edit it and Rerelease it. As long as they give credit that I was the one that made the mission thats good enough for me. When i release somthing its for the OFP comunity. I actully hope people will DePbo my missions and pull them apart, learn somthing new from the scripting or even improve the missions scripts/add addons they think imrpoves it. At the end of the day at least some one is gettin enjoyment out of it and im being credited with being the original missions maker thats all that matters to me.

I haven't released many missions, but those I have released are never PBOed. I expect people to mess with them in the editor, to change them to suit themselves. However, as for editing someone's work and releasing it, I think that it is a basic courtesy to get permission first.

Same as addons, I would say.

On the other hand, if someone has left the community (and can't be contacted) then after a month or two of trying, I would say it is fair to go ahead and release.

of course permission should be seeked, missions like addons are the intelectual property of the creator.  Its a shame to see, that not the same respect is brought towards missions as for addons, noone would alter an addon and release it without seeking the permission of the maker confused_o.gif

for me its just that as long as credit is only towards the original author then it should be alright

but i think im really talking about pre-excellent addon phase of ofp

where mission makers didnt have access to excellent addons around like now. We're boming with excellent addons but hardly any missions. i make missions for myself but most have edited addons or extra configs so cant release in the community.

I wouldn't mind if someone pulled my missions apart but if they edited them and re-released them it would be nice to know they respect you enough to ask you before doing so.

Ok, picture this. You make a mission, release it and everyone loves it. Ofpec rates it high, Ofp.info features it, it's a hit.

Six months down the line, you pop into ofpec and see that your mission has been grabbed by someone else, the units have been swapped around and Ofpec has rated it. It scored just as well as before, maybe a bit better because the reviewer enjoyed the new units so much, and then you see that all the credit has been given to Misc_User_xyz. Everyone has left comments saying how the sun shines out of his ass but there is no mention of the 20 something hours it took YOU to build the thing or the 20 hours you and your beta testers waded through it looking for bugs.

It would be annoying and a tad rude.

I say, permission and credit. Otherwise it's fine by me.

I totally agree with Arch smile_o.gif

I agree with Arch too.

I did this with the Battlefield 1985 map, that wasnt released on OFPEC a while back.  I made my own versions along with the original map author, but only swapped around the flag locations.  I credited the person from what I remember, but did not ask his permission.

If I made a good mission, and somebody used my mission for their own version without my permission I'd be happy about it, and I would not care.  As long as they credit me as the original author of that mission, all is fine..

what about this specific question:

playing for some years you have like several hundres of missions in your mpmissions folder - would you also say, you have to try to get in contact with ppl ? (which is impossible in a high percentage)

if its about well known or rated missions, thats a different case i think.

The general idea there is just to try your hardest to contact them but if you can't, just go ahead anyway. Be sure to make it very clear that you've tried to contact them. Obviously people will disappear off the face of the earth now and again. They shouldn't mind if they come back after a while. That is as long as they believe that you at least tried.

If you say you've tried to contact them and you havn't they're probably gonna know so it's best to put the work in. It's about respecting your Flashpoint peers.

IMHO, if anyone wanted to modify a mission I'd made for a particular mod, I'd be happy. So long as full credits were given to me, and the mission wasn't so modified as to be unrecognisable.

Anyway, that's my personal opinion...

My opinion :

Giving credit to the original author is the minimum when adapting a mission, but asking for permission if the author is always around is simple common sense.

Trying to ask for his permission if the author is not around is common courtesy, but if not possible to reach the author anymore, credits should then be enough.

Re-releasing a modified mission without giving credit to the author ,unless it was stated as allowed in the original mission readme, is just as unacceptable as modifying someone addons and re-releasing it without any credits.

Re-releasing a modified mission while giving credits , but not asking for permission --if the author is always active-- , unless it was stated as allowed in the original mission, should not be acceptable too, the same as it is now with addons making.

Making missions is not always a simple 5 minutes "throw units in the editor and upload the result to some website".

I'm just going to echo what everyone else has been saying. Of course you should contact the original author for permission before releasing anything, but if you can't get a hold of him/her, then I see no problems with releasing it anyway. Either way, appropriate credit must be given to the original author!

As far as sending it to a review site... that would be kinda weird. If all you did was swap out units, then you didn't really change the mission much anyways, so it should get the same score as the original mission. But if you add or modify scripts, units, triggers, objects, objectives, etc; then you obviously have modified the mission, and deserve to get your 'own' score for your effort.

Quote[/b] ]As far as sending it to a review site

well of course this would be nonesense banghead.gif

thank you all for your comments !

notworthy.gif