Sign in to follow this  
Sarge6754

In-Game Advertisements (NO!)

Hey BIS, a lot of games are now using advertisements for real products in their games. In certain games, these ads are even updated through the web. I can't really see a big "Mountain Dew" billboard fitting into a bombed out, war-torn village. So, I'm pretty sure that we won't have to worry about these ugly ads in your Next Gen PC Game. But, I think the community will be deeply upset by putting advertisements into the next game (or any game). I know I would hate it!

I dont see why it would be bad if it were done properly, ie. integrated well into the game. So instead of Blazena fuelstations there would be Shell fuelstations, the civilian cars would be Skodas instead of Kodas, etc... But finding suitable advertisers for that might not be so easy.

yep, on certain islands you'll already find community made ads. they are just made to give the island a more realistic look.

I neither see no harm in it, I actually thought that some of the ads in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory gave the game more realism.

(But it wasn't necessary to have a AMD screensaver on every computer in the game though)

Besides I have never been effected by any of the ads in these games (I'm not that kind of person)

But then again, this is a war simulation/game so I don't think every area should have ads if they are planing that. It might be ok in urban areas and airports but nothing else then that.

EDIT: But I do think the reputation for BIS will be a bit hurt.

Not all like ads you know.

Although I'm not against ads I want it to have some limits.

-Maybe just have ads on posters and boards.

-Not that people are speaking of a game (like they did in SC: Chaos Theory),

-No screensaver ads.

-No people playing a game (like they do in The Sims 2)

-No ads on TV 24/7. (SC: Chaos Theory has a ad for a Tom Clancy game running in loop)

BIS will make enough money from VBS2 and their next-gen engine to not have to advertise like that, I'm sure.

Hehe, I´m not sure if the companies want their logos on something that:

a. will be blown up sooner or later (Shell)

b. will be overrun by a tank ( Marco Polo Streetwear)

c. will be set on flames (insert any housebuilder company here)

d. will be used as target practise (vodka bottles, cola can´s, etc..)

smile_o.gif

rofl.gif

and if they do it, only for nice things like:

c-mags

automat kalashnikovs

semtex

asat camo wear

some nice land rover defender

and last but absolutly not least some nice ads for

plump woman mud catch contests were the girls wear pink woodland camo strings and smoke cuban cigars. Haircolor unimportant will get muddy anyway.

If BIS need contacts, im the man

yay.gif

Rockstar didn't use commerical adverts, and was the better of it (It fitted with the rest of the game, non-in-your-face funny adverts/billboards/products)

I dont care if BI use commerical products in advertising, as long as it's not shoved down your.. eyes (ow). I.e don't do this.

"3, board ALL NEW 4 WHELL DRIVE FROM [some company] AVALIBLE FOR JUST $10000"

"Roger"

And things like putting other game screensaves on all PCs is fine, if you can use the PC and get the screensaver of, and theres more udnerneath it, it has a point then. And dont have the same screensaver on them all etc, as it looks fake.

goodnight.gif

- Ben

Hehe, I´m not sure if the companies want their logos on something that:

a. will be blown up sooner or later (Shell)

b. will be overrun by a tank ( Marco Polo Streetwear)

c. will be set on flames (insert any housebuilder company here)

d. will be used as target practise (vodka bottles, cola can´s, etc..)

smile_o.gif

Don't forget Lucky Strike for the guy who gets shot.

Light a cig and die. Either from cancer or a bullet, it's your choice.

"3, board ALL NEW 4 WHEEL DRIVE FROM [some company] AVALIBLE FOR JUST $10000"

"Roger"

Now that would be something rofl.gif

For me, If they could gain some extra money on this, why not.

The next reason is realism, in urban areas those advertisements are almost indispensable.

Not to mention all of those military companies...

If not using a real advertising system, at least getting permission to use certain brand names and logos at the right spots could increase the realism a lot!

There should be a FEW ads in urban places, (it would look weird without them). BUT they should be some thing you would find in that region. I don't want to see a toyta billboard in africa! It would be neat if they could find local compaines or make up something. And not in english! If its in russia it should be in russian!

Sorry for the delayed reply, but I meant, I don't want to see streaming-internet-updated ad content. In certain games today, when you play it one day the billboard will say:

"Drink Mountain Dew", play it the next day and it will say: "Drive Subaru". There is a whole company which pays game developers to put this ad content in games, especially next-gen games.

I don't mind seeing ads for "Blazena Gas Stations" on Nogova, it fits the environment. But the advertisements should never ever be overwhelming compared to the environment. That means...

NO TO:

------

Neon Signs, Specially Lit Signs, Highly Colorful Ads, Massive Billboards, Internet updated ads.

I'm all for it as long as I get to blow the signs up or spraypaint a logo on them like in CS.

Guest Ti0n3r

I don't think we have to worry about any "streaming-internet-updated ad content". Just doesnt sound like BIS.

I just don't want to see this:

THIS BATTLE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY JAMSTER

...probably followed by a "Crazy Frog" song.

pistols.gif

No the hamster dance song.

I don't think we have to worry about any "streaming-internet-updated ad content". Just doesnt sound like BIS.

I just strongly hope to not see something like what was introduced inside of the Swat4 patch, along needed fixes for this game. I would not really see a problem with this system if it was a program that is -free- to download, so the authors are paid with the streaming ads.

But i would really hate to see this kind of streaming ads in a product i would have paid with my money.

Ah in SWAT 4 its done bad, its just a square with a texture on it. So yea if its done properly I don't care.

I've changed my mind after reading this and this

No ads that changes after a while please.

EDIT: Ubisoft and Codemasters are on this too. Since the publisher is the responsible for the ad-selling there might be no way out for "Game 2" confused_o.gif

Damn capitalism sometimes mad_o.gif

Well... BIS could choose (if they even get to CHOOSE) a publisher that won't demand such crap. Tho they do have dynamic damage, so it would be cool to destroy ads. Or shoot salesmen.