Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

STELLA AWARDS

STELLA AWARDS

Origin of the Stella Awards:

In 1994, a New Mexico jury awarded $2.9 million U.S. in damages to 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who suffered third-degree burns to her legs, groin and buttocks after spilling a cup of McDonald's coffee on herself.

This case inspired an annual award - The "Stella" Award -for the most frivolous lawsuit in the U.S. The ones listed below are clear candidates. All these cases are verging on the outright ridiculous and yet (in the good old USA) with the right attorney you could win anything! My personal belief is that the Judge and Jury should be required to pay these rewards out of their pockets. The following are all true stories.

1. January 2000: Kathleen Robertson of Austin Texas was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running amuck inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little rodent was Ms. Robertson's son.

2. June 1998: 19 year old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car, when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

3. October 1998: Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up, because the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation. Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. Mr. Dickson sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of half a million dollars.

4. October 1999: Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced-in yard, as was Mr. Williams. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog may have been provoked by Mr. Williams, who at the time, was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

5. May 2000: A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Penn., $113,500 after she slipped on soft drink and broke her coccyx. The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson threw it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

6. December 1997: Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms.Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

7. And just so you know that cooler heads do occasionally prevail: Kenmore, Inc. the makers of Dotty Johnson's microwave were found not liable for the death of her poodle after she gave it a bath and attempted to dry it by putting the poor creature in her microwave for, " just a few minutes, on low," The case was quickly dismissed.

Dang, Dotty Johnson should have gotten money for nuking her own poodle. Considering the other lawsuits that won, I mean.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Jan. 17 2002,00:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Proof of the downfall of western civilization.<span id='postcolor'>

Couldn't agree more, if they're all true I find it disgusting sad.gif

well for starters:

In 1994, a New Mexico jury awarded $2.9 million U.S. in damages to 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who suffered third-degree burns to her legs, groin and buttocks after spilling a cup of McDonald's coffee on herself.

she never saw a dime, it was overturned.

as for the rest half are probably totally made up the other half were probably overturned aswell,,

what most people forget is that a lawsuit's verdict can be challenged, most all frivelous lawsuites are appealed and either totally overturned or the amount to be paid is reduced.

Actually Me and my sister are currentley awaiting payment in a suite my mother started against Dow corning which eventually lead to her death. It took 19 years for the suite to work its way through the system.

The scary thing really is: is the fact that these lawsuits even make it to court and even worse: people win them! Even though they are over-turned.

Though in your case, from what you have told us before, your Mother's case is very legit. Its too bad it took so long to get through the system. As is the case with the majority of pay outs.

When my mom sued the drunk driver that hit her, it took her years to get the money.

Tyler