Sign in to follow this  
Warden

Territorial Army

@SFWanabe. You have nothing to say and you are saying it to loud. You do not even grasp what the topic is about.

@Mr Reality. A very true post and more thoughts of my own.

I've actually worked with the TA quite abit, they used to be essentially the grown up cadets that get paid, but recently they've become part of the armys ORBAT and are trained to the exact standards as the regular army. Now having worked with them i can tell you that they are the same as the regulars, they also have a civilian life and job to worry about, where as i dont have that drama in my life, so thumbs up to them, and especially to the ones that actually step forward and volunteer for op deployments, if i had the choice to go to the sandpit, i'd say no without a second thought, we're just made to go. If you wanna join the TA then thumbs upto you mate, and for those thats posted who are TA, thumbs upto you too, you get to play OFP more than me tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Well their americans 'kids' so we can't expect much more now can we?

But i did say that if students join the TA then they are not allowed to go on active service.

I beileve it was american kids who beat the UK when it was the most powerful nation in the world. rofl.gif Of course we had help from France,Spain,and the Netherlands. wink_o.gif But then I'll admit you brits got us real good during the war of 1812. banghead.gif

Hmmm the British-Amercian War of 1812, we also had troops fighting against Napoleon aswell tounge2.gif

It's all history mate. We celebrate Trafalger, Waterloo, burning the US capital (well we dont but we should). And you celebrate the independance so we are both happy. The world would of been different if everyone decided to be on our side, we would of ruled the world biggrin_o.gif lol

Quote[/b] ]You have nothing to say and you are saying it to loud. You do not even grasp what the topic is about.

Ok dude you just made yourself look stupid by saying that.
Quote[/b] ]Hmmm the British-Amercian War of 1812, we also had troops fighting against Napoleon aswell tounge2.gif

It's all history mate. We celebrate Trafalger, Waterloo, burning the US capital (well we dont but we should). And you celebrate the independance so we are both happy. The world would of been different if everyone decided to be on our side, we would of ruled the world biggrin_o.gif lol

Yes,but I've think we've gotten a bit off topic so if you like we can create a topic to further this enlighting discussion. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]You have nothing to say and you are saying it to loud. You do not even grasp what the topic is about.

Quote[/b] ]Hmmm the British-Amercian War of 1812, we also had troops fighting against Napoleon aswell tounge2.gif

Yes,but I've think we've gotten a bit off topic so if you like we can create a topic to further this enlighting discussion. wink_o.gif

1. Yeah "dude" I'm the stupid one for reacting to a tard kid on the net.

2. You brought up 1812 and so started going off topic. But what else are you to post if you have no knowledgeable input of the topic, "dude".

nener.gif (I am 32, honest) nener.gif

1. Reacting to what? Maybe your just trying to start a flame war....

2. Now your going off topic so you must not have anything more knowlegable to post ether then....

We could do but it will quickly turn into a flame war and people will be boasting about things.

SFWanabe posting for the sake of hearing your own voice is spam, posting in a deliberately argumentative manner is flamebaiting, perhaps you can best avoid both of those by ceasing to post in threads which hold no relevance to you.

At the Mo my Local choice is Alnwick in Northumberland, then it will be Dundee in Tayside (im here for a year) il have to see wether it would be ok to transfer up if i joined.

SFWanabe posting for the sake of hearing your own voice is spam, posting in a deliberately argumentative manner is flamebaiting, perhaps you can best avoid both of those by ceasing to post in threads which hold no relevance to you.

Whatever dude. I havent spammed nor have I flamebaited so leave me alone and do your job......

Whatever dude. I havent spammed nor have I flamebaited so leave me alone and do your job......

If your not spamming/flamebaiting, what the hell has this:

Quote[/b] ]I beileve it was american kids who beat the UK when it was the most powerful nation in the world.

got to do with Warden looking to join the TA?  icon_rolleyes.gif

If your not spamming/flamebaiting, what the hell has this:

Quote[/b] ]I beileve it was american kids who beat the UK when it was the most powerful nation in the world.

got to do with Warden looking to join the TA? icon_rolleyes.gif

Going a bit OT. But now your flamebaiting so why dont you stop going OT.......

SFWanabe fine you chose to ignore my guidance so you're now post restricted, I'll decide how long for tomorrow.

With regard to TA, im considering joining the Oxford unit, but not for 3 years. I wouldnt mind going regular actually, was very tempted to do so and skip uni but was talked out of that, going to get a degree. But does anyone know if they would let me go in as a grunt, i really dont want to be an officer huh.gif .

I have a nasty feeling they'd force me to join as an officer if i have a degree. I might just end up joining the local TA unit, and do it "part time" so to speak.

With regard to TA, im considering joining the Oxford unit, but not for 3 years. I wouldnt mind going regular actually, was very tempted to do so and skip uni but was talked out of that, going to get a degree. But does anyone know if they would let me go in as a grunt, i really dont want to be an officer huh.gif .

I have a nasty feeling they'd force me to join as an officer if i have a degree. I might just end up joining the local TA unit, and do it "part time" so to speak.

our local TA is the Royal Green Jackets up at Slade, Pathy... friend of mine is with them... you could always join the OTC down at falklands house tounge2.gif

The fact is that the TA / NG has an important role within the armed forces , its not like the MoD or DoD keep them running just so that people can pretend to be soldiers .

The training they go through is still very real and should the situation arise they are still expected to absorb bullets just like the full time colleages they work alongside .

As has been pointed out , a term in Iraq is a very real possibility .

with the current shake down of the UK armed forces and the disbanding of several long standing units i am not sure as to the current units available to join as TA , some of them i remember included units like 22 SAS , these lads where anything but weekend warriors .

A lot will depend on your geographic location as to which units are viable for you to join but think it through before jumping in , it may be "just" the TA but they demand a certain amount of dedication .

Whichever you decide on i hope you enjoy it and get something worthwhile from the expieriance .

Urrrrrg OTC, think that would seal my fate as an officer tounge2.gif

Is the base along the Windmill road (i think it is) the RGJ base, as my uni accomidation is just round the corner from that.

with the current shake down of the UK armed forces and the disbanding of several long standing units i am not sure as to the current units available to join as TA , some of them i remember included units like 22 SAS , these lads where anything but weekend warriors .

Aye, some of the TA units are pretty hardcore, 21st and 23rd SAS spring to mind. They take civvy applicants as well as ex forces, but they run exactly the same selection course, at the same time, as the regs, but after a year of build up, unlike the regs which do thier build alot more quickly

Here you go, join up tounge2.gif

http://www.army.mod.uk/uksf/special_forces_soldier_reserve_/sas.htm

biggrin_o.gif  

Now THOSE guys are anything but weekend warriors as Orson says, they do serious shit   crazy_o.gif

At the Mo my Local choice is Alnwick in Northumberland, then it will be Dundee in Tayside (im here for a year) il have to see wether it would be ok to transfer up if i joined.

Infantry?

sort of going OT but what would you need to become a medic in the army?

proper medical trianing (i.e. doctors degree)

A grades etc..?

or could you just join and go into it and then get all the necessary training straight off?

Wildo

Think Tankies the right man to ask, right? wink_o.gif

Urrrrrg OTC, think that would seal my fate as an officer tounge2.gif

Is the base along the Windmill road (i think it is) the RGJ base, as my uni accomidation is just round the corner from that.

i guess you could call it windmill road... leads on from there - its opposite the slade fire station... deffinatly a Jackets regiment, as i drive past it most days...

which Uni?

as for the medic question... depends what you mean by medic... if you mean a squad medic, then you get trained up to know how to perform 'first aid' of sorts... basically how to keep people alive for longer... if you want to be a field surgeon, then you'll need a degree i think...

Yeah, thats the one, uni = brookes, im at PK road halls,