Sign in to follow this  
OFPDude

Maps and Overall Gameplay Suggestions

Hi to all members and developers,

I would just like to share my OFP experiences and make a few suggestions for the long awaited OFP2.

1. MAPS

One of the great features of OFP, that forced me to buy the game and continue playing it for over 3 years, is the size of the maps. OFP out classes "chicken pen" games like BF2 and Americas Army because the maps are so huge and offer a realism that no other game I know can match.

KEEP THOSE MAPS BIG, IF NOT BIGGER  smile_o.gif

2. SOILDER SHOOTING AND DAMAGE

What I HATE about BF2 and Americas Army is the fact that 1 or 2 shots is not enough to bring a soilder down. No matter how good your aim is, it takes nearly a whole magazine and even then the stupid puppet is still jumping around like a bunny rabbit.

OFP is more real when it comes to shooting and soilder damage. I like the realism and aiming in OFP so 1 or 2 shots is perfect. smile_o.gif

IDEA: Maybe the developers could think about adding bullet proof jackets to the ammo list. Soilders with these jackets would require say 3/4 shots for a kill.

IDEA: How about 2 throw options for granades.

1. Release pin and throw immediatly.

2. Release pin and throw when you choose.

3. SOILDER MOVEMENTS

Now I notice that for some reason, soilders are unable to jump in OFP. In some ways this a good thing. There is nothing more irritating than watching a soilder hop around like a rabbit whilst being shot, it's totally unreal. When a soilder is hit by a bullet, he should fall to the gound, keep it like that. smile_o.gif

On the other hand, maybe only allow soilders to jump if they have not been hit by a bullet.

4. OBJECTS AND SCENERY

Even though OFP is an old game, the graphics are great, they work well and I'm still impressed by the realism compared to the latest games like BF2.

One feature I would love to see in OFP is grass (no, not the smoking type). I love camping in bushes biggrin_o.gif it would be even better to lay down in some lush green grass and count the daisies.

IDEA: How about adding birds that scatter when a soilder is camping too long in a bush. Should give them away and teach them not to camp too long.

OVERALL

There are too many good features in OFP as it is and the main thing that keeps me addicted to this game is overall realism of the game. I just hope that the developers working on OFP2 don't turn it into another "chicken pen arcade game" like BF2 or Americas Army.

Make it another winner guys, you know you can do it.  inlove.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Have you actually read anything about Ofp2 or seen any screens? huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]KEEP THOSE MAPS BIG, IF NOT BIGGER

The maps will be bigger in Ofp2.

Quote[/b] ]One feature I would love to see in OFP is grass (no, not the smoking type). I love camping in bushes biggrin_o.gif it would be even better to lay down in some lush green grass and count the daisies

Take a look at any Ofp2 screen.

And there will be birds in Ofp Xbox and Armed Assault. But most people seem to be unaware of it. wink_o.gif

Edit: Removed one thing that I had misunderstood.

Of course I seen the screens, you sarcastic nit picker. pistols.gif

wink_o.gif

I seen the screens but they are only very early stages of development. Who knows what the final game will be like.

Guest Ti0n3r

Im sure that they wont remove the grass. There's no real reason to remove it. wink_o.gif

Im sure that they wont remove the grass. There's no real reason to remove it. wink_o.gif

Unless it eats performance that is smile_o.gif

well i guess for worlds its needed a new concept for the view distance, and a new terrain level system, also in placing textures, rivers, dynamic weather, dynamic ambience, etc etc the list goes on.

Basicly the challenge is to put as it is in reality

yay.gif

Would also be great the ability to see underwater and creat a underwater scenery that way we could have some real nice insertion missions, also divers training, etc etc.

Hi to all members and developers,

1. I totally agree. "OFP" games are not made to be small instant-action games as you mentioned. The size really adds most of the realism beacuse its this environment that breeds the possibilites to realistic warfare. So yea the bigger the better and omg they will be big in "OFP2".

2. Well I think the weapon ballistic in AmericasArmy is pretty good. If you get shoot you will bleed pretty bad and its still alot better then BF2 in that matter. But then again Bf2 is not a SIM game and is not trying to be one either! Atleast AmericasArmy claim it. But still, if you look at the progress of that game which is now; defending a briefcase while other team assaults. *lol* Anyone else get the CS vibes or like in my case; a few years back: Soldier of Fortune 2! Bunny hopping is so lame but of course I do it too. wink_o.gif

3. What you actually do is climb/step over obstacle or move around em, not freaking jump over em and with the all the soldier equipment, good luck jumping your way ahead. So I welcome the non-jumping, its not needed other in a fast action FPS game.

4. The deal with the graphics and environment in OFP is that it feels like you are on the battlefield. I cant say the same about AmericasArmy except the old maps but still its more like a training camp then war. So yea, its awesome this old game is still Nr 1 in FEELING. But if improvement is needed is natural obstacle such as rocks, grass and such. I guess that will come in "OFP2". We know the forests will be awesome anyway!

Quote[/b] ]3. What you actually do is climb/step over obstacle or move around em, not freaking jump over em and with the all the soldier equipment, good luck jumping your way ahead. So I welcome the non-jumping, its not needed other in a fast action FPS game.

Well, as a rumor, if BIS decided to go with a weight based equipment loadout and realistic fatigue (based off of *cough* -stats- *cough*), you may be able to jump the reasonable level of ~2 ft several times with that MP5 and 20 mags.  But you'd be lucky to clear the ground with the M249 para, 8 boxes of ammo, 5 grenades, and 2 satchels (not to mention the spare LAW you are carrying for that AT doofus).  If BIS is going realistic, why not go all the way in the ability to loadout and fatigue?  That way we will have more of that immersive effect of catching our breath and wondering 'why the hell did I agree to carry that damn LAW for that dimwit?!?! <-- Irony, get it?  banghead.gif

Instead of jumping I'd like to see context sensitive vaulting and climbing. In Rogue Spear you could walk up to any box or even a curb on the side walk or a table and hit spacebar to climb it. As long as it was an abrupt edge you could climb. That would solve the half foot tall person barricade problem instantly.

The birds flying off if you "camp" is the only idea I totally disagree with. If you're holding still for a long time the birds are not going to fly from you, makes no sense. Besides "camping" is how this game is played, it's not about scoring the most points by killing the most people, it's about completing objectives. If the guy camping is keeping you from winning, then he's doing his job well. You'll just have to co ordinate your team in finding his location and eliminating him.

I'm definitely looking forward to a fatigue and weight system.

Back up a sec. You're on the right track with scrambling and vaulting instead of hopping etc. However, there's much more along those lines.

Granted, to capture the full range of RL movement and interactions you'd need to essentially have dynamic motion capture. That's not practical, so we have to abstract it a bit.

What you do have is two basic logical steps : 1) body interaction with an environmental artifact, and 2) accessory interaction with environmental artifact.

In cases of (1), you have variations such as kicking in doors, climbing, alley-ooping, pushing out loose bricks, opening doors, leaning, etc.

For (2), you have resting weapons on walls, cracking open locks with boltcutters of sledgehammers, jackhammers, winches to pull stuff apart, anchors for winches, and so on.

In either case, there's two processes involved. The first is to logically identify a suitable artifact and how to interact with it, and the second would require dynamicly adjusted animations to compensate into the correct heights and stance for that artifact.

According to the gamespot article the real world location maps will be 400 square km....

WOW biggrin_o.gif

hmmm...According to the offical AA site it's 100km. Which I'm still impressed by.

Guest Ti0n3r

Isnt Nogova something like 100 square kilometers? If so, then 400 is quite Ok.

If BIS is going to use terrain 2 from VBS1 for the next generation then please fill out the scenary a bit and make the roads interconnect. The terrain for the jungle island is not what I consider a jungle environment. It reminds me too much of the Vietnam highlands.