Sign in to follow this  
red oct

NASA's Deep Impact going to Temple 1

http://deepimpact.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html

Quote[/b] ]One hundred and seventy-one days into its 172-day journey to comet Tempel 1, NASA's Deep Impact spacecraft successfully released its impactor at 11:07 p.m. Saturday, Pacific Daylight Time (2:07 a.m. Sunday, Eastern Daylight Time).

At release, the impactor was about 880,000 kilometers (547,000 miles) away from its quarry. The separation of flyby spacecraft and the washing-machine-sized, copper-fortified impactor is one in a series of important mission milestones that will cap off with a planned encounter with the comet at 10:52 p.m. Sunday, PDT (1:52 a.m. on July 4, EDT).

Six hours prior to impactor release, the Deep Impact spacecraft successfully performed its fourth trajectory correction maneuver. The 30-second burn changed the spacecraft's velocity by about one kilometer per hour (less than one mile per hour). The goal of the burn is to place the impactor as close as possible to the direct path of onrushing comet Tempel 1.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/deepimpact/mission/index.html

this link describes the details of the mission. pretty neat. smile_o.gif

The name sounds pretty cool to me smile_o.gif

Just read about "Deep impact" in a german newspaper. I was afraid the probe could influence the way this damn thing is actually flying, but they compared it like a fly which would hit a 747, so I'm not worried anymore wink_o.gif

yea, somewhere in one of the two links, the crater size left from impact could very from the size of a house to a football stadium and from two stories deep to 40, can't really remember.

edit: supposedly theres supposed to be pictures from the Impactor just before it hits. hope they aren't just lousy black and whites. something more detailed like what we saw on mars.

I am fully confident that that the mission will succeed as America is second to none when it comes to blowing shit up  wink_o.gif

blow it up? nah, we are just going to put a big crater in it. smile_o.gif

121347main_confirmation-330.jpg

That's the ejecta from the impact. From the commentator on NASA TV, it seems like it is larger than was expected. I can't wait to see how nice this and other pics look after they've been cleaned up a little more. Congrats to JPL for a job well done! smile_o.gif

I have a 94 meg WMV of NASA TV for about 30 minutes prior to impact to about and hour after impact that I'm uploading to yousendit right now, I'll post the link here when its done.

You should be able to see some of the other images here:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/deepimpact/images/splash.html

Edit:

Here's the link for the WMV of some of the NASA TV coverage before and after the impact. http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3W30K3OW8MIEG04TVPNWBBCYPP

I am fully confident that that the mission will succeed as America is second to none when it comes to blowing shit up  wink_o.gif

and so it happened! more spectacular impact than expected.

and furthermore, this was done by non-military group! rofl.gif

Nasa is non military?!?!...haha..hahaha..hahahaHAHAHA!!!

The good thing about this goes to prove that it is possible for Earth to target any, and i mean ANY, threat from space and destroy it thousands of miles away. Many in the world can safely once again sleep in peace on what America has shown.

Happy Independence Day, America!!! God bless.

Some russian astronoman have sued NASA for ruining her horoscope.... She claims that it will affect her job... lol?

planned for and carried out right on the 4th of july, for those who didn't notice the extra symbol

Hmm, America can get a probe to hit an object travelling through space at x miles an hour thousands of miles away, yet they still manage to blow up the wrong house in Afghanistan. Some bean-counters need to get their priorities right confused_o.gif.

No problem. Just making an observation.

Would a hydrogen bomb or an atomic bomb make any effect on a body such as Temple1, out of interest? Alter it's course, or destroy it? Anyone with the knowledge out there?

Would a hydrogen bomb or an atomic bomb make any effect on a body such as Temple1, out of interest? Alter it's course, or destroy it? Anyone with the knowledge out there?

Temple 1 is half the size of Manhattan. so would guess w/ a nuclear weapon or a few of our strongest convental bombs, you might be able to blow it up or at least alter its path. of course you have to have to add in how fast the comet is going as well

Would a hydrogen bomb or an atomic bomb make any effect on a body such as Temple1, out of interest?  Alter it's course, or destroy it?   Anyone with the knowledge out there?

It would depend on whether the comet's nucleus is a losely gathered cluster of debris made up of frozen gases and rocks or if the whole thing is more solid and cohesive like an asteroid. This is one of the questions they are trying to answer with this mission. An H-bomb detonating deep inside the first type of body might break it apart some and vapourize a portion of the frozen debris. The more solid type of nucleus would probably remain intact.

Whatever remains - partially vapourized debris cluster or damaged core - its orbit would not be affected very significantly.

"Significantly" yet the orbit would be affected even if it is barely measurable. A collection of these events whether gravitational or impact related can alter a course significantly. Though I highly doubt there is any danger to the Earth, I found it amusing when NASA said the explosion was larger than they expected.

I don't think so, perhaps it would change the headding but it wouldn't destroy it. If an nuclear bomb explods in Manhatten, than all the houses would be destroyed, but the land Manhatten (I think it's an island, isn't it?) would be still there.

You really need to do it like in the movie Argameddon(so called in Germany, perhaps it's not the same in other nations, we always have different film names, it's that one with Bruce Willes and that women who played Awen in Lord of the Rings, don't know the name).

But perhaps you could use the current technic and throw a refrigerator at the thing before you knock it down with a nuke wink_o.gif

havn't there been any idea's yet as to attach probe's to meteorites ,to use their speed to travel trough space?

You really need to do it like in the movie Argameddon(so called in Germany, perhaps it's not the same in other nations, we always have different film names

Indeed.

It's called Armageddon in the original version smile_o.gif

havn't there been any idea's yet as to attach probe's to meteorites ,to use their speed to travel trough space?

Too slow, we can reach this speed already with Iondrives. But this is still too slow. Even this solarsail, which should launch a few weeks ago with a russian intercontinental-rocket is too slow and it would only work as long it's "close" to the sun.

The only solution to the "travel to other solarsystems" problem are in my opinion drives, which are able to reach speeds higher than lightspeed, and that's not possible at the moment and with the actual theories, because Einstein is still right banghead.gif

Other possible solution are giant world ships which travel with many generations of people, but that's not sencefull, because this is no real travel. It's more like waiting for your death in a very restricted place to live.

So, let's jump to lightspeed smile_o.gif