Sign in to follow this  
philcommando

3D real time satallite map

I think they might be land reclamation sites, where effectively new land is being built in the sea to develop on.

Anyone know what this :

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/DBR_ONIX/ConceteSea.jpg

: is..? crazy_o.gif

It's near Krk, one of the OFP islands it based on, and I was randomly scrolling about and came across that tounge2.gif

Probobaly just a bug in the images, but you never know, maybe they did concerete in an area of the sea tounge2.gif

- Ben

It looks kind of like it's just a black and white image surrounded by color images.

Maybe they had color images of most of that sea, but that particular strip of sea they only had a black and white. It has the texture of sea, just not the color.

Jupp, definitely a high resolution image of the sea. But it's near Danzig (Gdansk) in the Baltic Sea and not anywhere near Krk (which is a croatian island in the Mediterranean)...

wink_o.gif

I think they might be land reclamation sites, where effectively new land is being built in the sea to develop on.

Sounds like a possibility - but neither is the land around the places very much crowded, nor is such land much good for agriculture (too much salt in the soil). Also the expanses of these sites are huge. They often extend for 2km and more into the sea - and have a length of more than 40 kilometers in some places... These huge constructions are a bit further north-west, tho, already across the border to china.

Edit: Another nice shot (not related to the discussion above):

NgorongoroCrater.jpg

Truly a geographers wet dream come true! smile_o.gif

It's the Ngorongoro crater (famous wildlife reserve) in Tanzania.

Looks like two crators, formed by meteor impacts. But I think they are actually volcanic in nature.

Jupp: At least according to Wikipedia

Quote[/b] ]he Ngorongoro Conservation Area is a conservation area situated 180 km west of Arusha, Tanzania. The main feature of the area is the Ngorongoro Crater, which is the world's largest unbroken volcanic caldera. The steep sides of the crater mean that it has become a natural enclosure for a very wide variety of wildlife, including most of the species found in East Africa.

Aside from herds of zebra, gazelle and wildebeest, the crater is home to black rhinoceros, white rhinoceros, and black-maned lions. Leopards and elephants also inhabit the crater rim.

The area is part of the the Serengeti savannah, and adjoins the Serengeti National Park to its immediate south. It was declared a conservation area in 1959 (previously it had been part of the Serengeti National Park) and became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1979.

Ngorongoro was the subject of one of PBS' documtaries in the series "The Living Edens"

Has anyone found any forces in Iraq or Afganistan?

Yo explain this

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=....k&hl=en

is it the great wall of china?? but this thing is in russia! wth is it?

Maybe Russia stole it? tounge2.gif

Nah, it's most likely the same as my "concerete sea" thing, a glitch in the imagary, where it hasn't meshed up properly

- Ben

well if u zoom in you see little bricks so i dont know maybe it is the great wall

well if u zoom in you see little bricks so i dont know maybe it is the great wall

it's way too big to be the great wall (a mile wide?); besides, look at where the strip begins or ends; it just fades out...

you have to go through the sewer then to springfield and umm when it asks you the riddle goto eygpt. thats how far i am now. i did get to sri lanka to and had to go back

OMFG I WON LOL I BEAT THE GAME YAYY!! I'M INVITED TO THE BIG GAME NOW FRICKEN SWEET!

Heh, got down the same road, the question is do you believe you should have gone to the windy city?

Tbh, this sucked, it took me <20 minutes to run the whole thing including rereading the help file and the detour to Sri Lanka.

Yeah, Shin. That got me too - I was thinking it was a geography question when it wasn't at all.

Once I made the detour to Springfield I didn't have a problem and am probably gonna get suckered into playing the Big Game now.

I did manage to spend some enjoyable time yesterday hunting down all the world's aircraft carriers. I found the Clemenceau, about half the US fleet (including the Kitty Hawk in Yokohama), the Indian ex-HMS Hermes and the Spanish Principe de Asturias. Also two of the British carriers (one of which was the Ark Royal in drydock). Couldn't find the Charles de Gaulle or the Thai carrier yet. Totally forgot to look for Brazil or Argentina's.

Russia's main fleet ports are all too low rez to make out anything. sad_o.gif

I'm suprised at how much stuff the USAF has hidden away at their airbases... lots of old aircraft on some of those tarmacs. At San Diego NAS (Miramar?) I spotted some F-4s, A-6s, and what looked like Hunters hidden away.

Google Earth is probably the coolest thing I've got on my computer right now. So much to discover.

We should make our own "hide and seek". smile_o.gif

I'm suprised at how much stuff the USAF has hidden away at their airbases... lots of old aircraft on some of those tarmacs. At San Diego NAS (Miramar?) I spotted some F-4s, A-6s, and what looked like Hunters hidden away.

I think the ones that look like Hunters are McDonell F-3 Demon.

I've been having a look around the parts of the UK that have been enhanced since I last looked; like Portsmouth, Bournemouth and East Anglia.

There are some interesting aircraft at Bournemouth airport such as an AN-72 Coaler, a 747SP (interesting since the airport's not a major one and there's nothing else there anywhere near as big) and a number of old RAF aircraft such as a fairly large collection of DeHavilland Venom and Vampires, a couple of Hawker Hunters and I think there are one or two Canberras about.

Plenty of stuff to look at in East Anglia, such as Duxford where there are loads of nice old planes. Just north of that there is Marshalls of Cambridge based at Cambridge airport where there are some C-130s and a Tristar parked out (Marshalls modify and upgrade the C-130 and Tristar fleet for the RAF). and to the north-east of that there are 2 USAFE bases at RAF Mildenhall (KC-130s, MC-130s, MH-53s) and RAF Lakenheath (F-15s)

I think the ones that look like Hunters are McDonell F-3 Demon.

I think you're right - I'm pretty awful with old US aircraft. But after googling and FH-3, it looks like you're spot-on.

Some people on the Keyhole forums were trying to call old silos in Massachusetts active ICBM sites... There are about three silos, a couple buildings... no way.

LOL rofl.gif

Those dynamic datalayer thingys are pretty cool. im tracking weather, sattlites even the positsion of the sun!