Sign in to follow this  
philcommando

3D real time satallite map

Has anybody found any major US Navy ships?

Some aircraft carrier is parked here.

Earl try looking at Bremerton, Washington (the state). I grew up there lots of carriers moth balled. It's also the homeport of the Abraham Lincoln and the Carl Vinson. The battle ship New Jersey is Mothballed there along with a lot of other ships, quite a few of them carriers. Sadly it's also where a lot of ships go to get scrapped.

Across the strait in Everett near next to Seattle is the annex which is where I believe the Lincoln goes now when it's in town. If you look a bit to the north of Bremerton you can also see the Bangor Trident submarine base.

I'm getting a little home sick thinking about it. I use to love looking at the Hornet in Bremerton when I was a lad. I was sad when it disappeared a few years ago as I figured they scrapped it, I met some one lately who informed me that it is a museum now which is great.

I actually got to ride the Abraham Lincoln from Bremerton to Everett when I was 15, beats the hell out of the Ferry heh heh. Ahh the memories.

You got to know where they park them...

* Coronado is a good spot for some odds and ends, although not much is in port when the pics were taken. There's some RORO + a Hospital ship docked though.

(This is where Kegetys is pointing to, there's a lot more stuff in the area, so browse around. The other confusing part of this is while the <s>Carl Vinson</s> John C. Stennis is based at a perfectly adequate Bremerton base, they had to shoehorn in a bare minimum port in Everett - for political reasons - for the Lincoln, but there's not facilities in the region to support two carrier flight wings so the Lincon parks their Prowlers up at Whibey Island NAS - lo-res - and their fighter wing 1000miles/1600km south at Coronado, CA.)

* Everett, WA (just down the road from you) has the Nimitz class Abraham Lincoln. Unfortunately, some stuff got downgraded so you can't see the Trident SSBN at Bangor or the Bremerton Naval Shipyards, although you can get medium res images on the Google Earth legacy database. In case you can't tell, there's four carriers there at the west end of the Bremerton Shipyards either mothballed or in for overhauls.

* Pearl Harbor got whacked in the upgrade as well. If you need the higher res data, you have to use the legacy DB in Google Earth. (Cause of much angst on the Keyhole/Google Earth DB. To be fair though, it's due to the fact that they haven't integrated the newer data since Google's aquisition yet, and some of Keyhole's data was few years old. It's also a complicated process of georeferencing and color-shifting aerial and satalite imaging to stich it all together.)

* King's Bay, Georgia, is another major Trident base, and has hi-res imaging, but no subs. Nothing useful in the GE legacy DB either.

* I stumbled onto this the other day. It's just upriver from the Hampton Yards you referenced above. Looks like lots of mothballed stuff just parked there. Oh and that lo-res area immediately North of the high-res patch? That's a place they call "The Farm". Medium-High-res imaging available on the Keyhole BBS for those willing to have their IP Echelon-probed. wink_o.gif

* Global Security has a pretty good list with geocoordinates, among others I checked out Yokosuka Japan, Guam, Okinawa, andDiego Garcia BIOT, but no high-res. Taipei and Manila have high res, but not seeing anything in on port-call.

* I always forget to add this to the list, it's a couple of fairly new RORO ships forward-positioned in Tacoma, WA for Ft. Lewis usage. There's no good spot for longterm parking for something their size near the base, and for some reason they don't park them over at Bremerton. Anyhoo, nobody's tied up at Indian Head Island US Naval Ammo Dump either.

I suppose that @Sputnik Monroe could tell you all about it too, or maybe the Ft's Flagler, Casey, and Worden triangle leading into Puget Sound. They're a trio of old de-mil'd bases built about 100 years ago now (pre-WWI) for housing heavy mortars and other anti-dreadnought class long-guns. For you Total Annihillation fans, they had these gastly huge popup guns that would rotate up above the tree-line, fire off a battleship-grade anti-ship shell, then drop down to reload. They're some fun places to go camping and crawl around in the bunkers in the dark. The mortars were no pansy "toss me a shell, ey" deals, they were the ones with naval cranes to load them off the mini train cars that ran into the adjacent ammo bunkers. The bases never got any usage, I guess since the Canadians decided to keep their piggies off our islands for good. wink_o.gif

* Speaking of which, your docks at Tsawwassen I find quite interesting, although it's been about 10 years now since I rode the ferry there. crazy_o.gif@Sputnik Monroe's ferry ride was about 44miles/71km.

* Last item. You can't see it in Google Maps or in Google Earth, but if you fire up NASA Worldwind and switch over into USGS Topo mode, there's a big huge ship degausser sunk in the middle of the channel at Hampton Roads, Virginia.

- yet another Edit -

Actually, you can see it in Google Maps and Google Earth. It's mid-channel, just off of the abomination they call a portside coal lading railyard at Lamberts Point. While you're poking around there, don't forget to check out Newport News to the north. Norfolk/Hampton is the Naval base, Newport News is the Northrup Grumman construction shipyards.

Well just looked at Bremerton and right where the ships are is really grainy low res, bummer. I did find the Lincoln in Everett with four destroyer sized ships around it.

Quote[/b] ]Ft's Flagler, Casey, and Worden triangle leading into Puget Sound.

I've been to one of those twice I think up by Port Townsend. I loved it when I was a kid, a real life bunker to run around in. My parents went nuts trying to catch me so we could go home, every time they got near I ran back in the bunker and hid from them lol. Those pop up guns are real interesting, now there are just empty pits where they use to be though. Would be cool if they would construct a replica so people could get a tangible idea of their size. Only other thing that would be nice is if they would add a security guard. Both times I went (about 10 years apart) the bunker was covered in graffiti.

I vaguely remember an old blimp hanger and base near port townsend also. I think the hangar fell down though as it was in terrible shape when I was young (around 6 or 7 years old and I didn't see it the second time I went when I was 18. Kind of a shame it dated back to the late nineteen tens or early twenties.

Quote[/b] ]guess since the Canadians decided to keep their piggies off our islands for good.

I figured I was the only one who remembered that from 7th grade state history heh heh.

*Edit*

If you look in Bremerton you can find a destroyer by the ferry dock that is in high res. I forgot all about that. Turner Joy right? I remeber it was involved in the Gulf of Tonkin incident. Now it's a museum.

Well just looked at Bremerton and right where the ships are is really grainy low res, bummer. I did find the Lincoln in Everett with four destroyer sized ships around it.
Quote[/b] ]Ft's Flagler, Casey, and Worden triangle leading into Puget Sound.

I've been to one of those twice I think up by Port Townsend. I loved it when I was a kid, a real life bunker to run around in. My parents went nuts trying to catch me so we could go home, every time they got near I ran back in the bunker and hid from them lol. Those pop up guns are real interesting, now there are just empty pits where they use to be though. Would be cool if they would construct a replica so people could get a tangible idea of their size. Only other thing that would be nice is if they would add a security guard. Both times I went (about 10 years apart) the bunker was covered in graffiti.

I vaguely remember an old blimp hanger and base near port townsend also. I think the hangar fell down though as it was in terrible shape when I was young (around 6 or 7 years old and I didn't see it the second time I went when I was 18. Kind of a shame it dated back to the late nineteen tens or early twenties.

Blimp hanger was at Fort Worden. Iirc they keep talking about building a remake, but that site's run more by a volunteer group than the state, so the state doesn't pay them as much. On the other hand their bunkers are grimer and darker - though smaller - than the other two. They repaint them time and again, they don't do things the smart way in this state.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]guess since the Canadians decided to keep their piggies off our islands for good.

I figured I was the only one who remembered that from 7th grade state history heh heh.

*Edit*

If you look in Bremerton you can find a destroyer by the ferry dock that is in high res. I forgot all about that. Turner Joy right? I remeber it was involved in the Gulf of Tonkin incident. Now it's a museum.

I forget where it is on the row, I'll have to look it up. They used to have a whole ton of mothballed stuff backed up the bay towards the bend on SR-16, but they've hauled most of it out now.

-edit-

Yeah, that looks like the Turner Joy, DD-951. It was the last Forrest Sherman class destroyer built, and the first US warship to fire shots in the Gulf of Tonkin Incident. Now a museam that I still have not gotten around to visiting.

Quote[/b] ]You got to know where they park them...

Thanks for that, some interesting stuff there.

Quote[/b] ]* Speaking of which, your docks at Tsawwassen I find quite interesting, although it's been about 10 years now since I rode the ferry there.

Yup that looks familiar.  I spent two years working right near there, if you follow that link, then go north east from the ferry terminal by about 2km, you'll see the triangular shape of Boundary Bay airport.  Directly north of that are some big rectangular buildings.  Those are glass greenhouses.

I worked in the northernmost one, which is 13 hectares (32 acres) of tomatoes.  crazy_o.gif

seeing as hardly any of the uk is incuded in this, www.multimap.com has zoomable airiel images of most of the uk

heres Devonport Naval Base in Plymouth

here

i tried to find faslane where my old man works but theres no images for it sad_o.gif

This stuff is so cool, I've become eager to play some game with it, but I can't think of any (apart from World Hide-and-Seek). sad_o.gif

Any of you have an idea?

Has anybody found any major US Navy ships?  The only place I know to look is Norfolk, VA and I did manage to find this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=....k&hl=en

Everett, Washington Naval Base

One CVN, looks like Burke and a Spruance-class destroyers and two Perry-class frigates.

Edit: Note what look like anti-torpedo/frogman nets around the pier and the individual ships.

Hmm, has anyone found any inflight planes? Dunno if it'd see them, and the chances of finding one is.. small, but you never know

- Ben

The chances of finding one is small? i found two of them landing.

over to the right of Boston

Ramstein is low-res.

Quote[/b] ]

Note what look like anti-torpedo/frogman nets around the pier and the individual ships.

Maybe, more likely oil/fluid barriers to protect the non-native fishies.

-edit-

There's two barriers, you have to zoom in real tight to see the second one, it's much thinner. The inner one is probably the oil barrier then, and the outer one would be the nets/standoffs since it's a shared port.

That's only because I happened to be looking for Ramstein a couple days ago, and discovered that you won't find it searching for Ramstein, you have to look for Kaiserlautern instead.

Mt. Saint Helens is moderately active, there's a new lavadome in the area of that white patch larger than the older visible lave dome since the picture was taken.

-edit-

Google Earth placemark conversion of OFP Maniac Map Locator (Work in Progress)... on MARS...

That's only because I happened to be looking for Ramstein a couple days ago, and discovered that you won't find it searching for Ramstein, you have to look for Kaiserlautern instead.
Yeah, I eventually found it through Kaiserslauten.

I have to confess, I was cheap about the volcanoes. whistle.gif

OK, find me a... ICBM... muhahaha... (ok, any missile/carrier/silo would suffice - but NO spaceships)

Airplane grave yard

Lots of airplanes......lots and lots

This is actually what we did after the Cold War to show the Russians that we were gonna stop it. They destroyed B-52s be cutting their wings off with huge weights dropped from cranes.

Best bet for ICBM is Vandenburg AFB, CIC stuff is usually buried and Site R is better in Worldwind. SLBM's, I already listed Bangor, WA and Kings Bay, GA. Globalsecurity has a list of sites, but the catch is those are just the bases. The command sites are bunkered underground, and the silos are prairie-dogged all over the area under farmer's fields and what not. So Vandenburg is your best bet at an overt silo, unless you drive a thumper truck all over the rancher's fields 'prospecting' for 'oil'.

-edit-

Now I got me a request, find me a high-res RC-135 Rivet Joint. Didn't see any likely subjects last time I checked at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage Alaska.

How can I post a picture I found? because I found what looks like an old airfield with old AA emplacments and everything.