Sign in to follow this  
sanctuary

winSP:MBT

Finally, the fantastic turn by turn wargames Steel Panthers : Main Battle Tank is now available in a window version that was under development since a very long time.

No more DOS and all its problems with modern systems.

Press Release

Good news :

It is always free.

It is always as interesting.

No more all those freezes/crashes and other problem related to how much your window and hardware were DOS (un)friendly.

Bad news :

there is a retail (cost money) version available on CD that is allowing higher resolution support while the free version is limited to 800x600.

that's all.

Download links of the free version (100mo)

Support forum -> there

<span id='ME'><center>EiZei falls on his knees and thanks allah/god/satan/jahve/whatever</center></span>

downloaded it this afternoon and did a few skirmishes ...

awesome smile_o.gif

Waited months and the god damn game acts slow while scrolling the map.. banghead.gif

Edit: Checked the support fourm..sob..I should had went there yesterday. Can't wait 'till I get home.. yay.gif

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Downloaded at 5000Kb+ crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Took 20 seconds biggrin_o.gif

Maybe it's just me...

I love the fact that SP:MBT exists. I love the detail, the depth, and the scope of the game. Hell, I even made a campaign about a US invasion of Cuba in '62. I just wish it was more modern. I mean, it's very much a classic wargame - top down, hex sides, IGO/UGO turn based system and all kinds of probability databases. That was fine in 1990, but today I want... need... a little bit more from my wargames. SPMBT is basically a tabletop die-cut marker boardgame with automation.

I have had the 3.0/3.01 version for about a year now, and I've never been able to play more than one battle in a month - I just get SO bored with it SO quickly. The gameplay is so ponderously slow and the AI (or lack thereof) so predictable. Despite whatever battle I'm fighting it's like the exact same outcome every time.

I'm not decrying the efforts of the devs by any means, and I'll be downloading WinSPMBT tonight, but I really wish they could drop the old Steel Panthers engine and move onto something fresh. I think they've got the talent and expertise to make a really great 3D (or at least non-hex-based 2D like TacOps), WEGO version of a similar game. Something a little more fast paced, free-form and visually interesting is just what this game needs.

Something along the lines of "Peoples General" (I believe it was) would look great for SP. I believe it was more of a 3/4 view...cities were somewhat 3D (in a 2D way). Units looked somewhat 3D.

I actually liked People's General a lot. Not very realistic, but very fun! I agree, a visualization like that might help out.

I had a problem with the game crashing after about 30 seconds several times. I checked for solutions on internet but they were complicated and I didnt get them to work. The problem had something to do with sound so I turned off sound FX and the game hasnt crashed in 3 hours or so. Maybe this helps someone else.

Don't fret Hellfish. If you ever need someone to use as a kick bucket in Combat Mission, give me a call. biggrin_o.gif

Downloading now. Looks interesting.

Combat... Mission... mentioned... must... respond...

Anyway, if any of you chaps is up for a PBEM or other form of MP in CMBB, give me a call. Or mail. Or whatever. It would be a shame to have such a great WWII game go to waste, although my post is quite offtopic...

I'm definitely going to download this later. I had Steel Panthers 3 and about 5 years ago I had downloaded Steel Panthers World War 2 (by the people behind SPMBT).

I loved those games, especially SPWW2. Problem was once I got XP they wouldn't work any more. It's great to finally see this for XP. I hope SPWW2 for Windows follows shortly.

I can sort of understand some of the issues you've mentioned Hellfish. I don't know how much the AI has been improved but back when I played SPWW2 (Version 5 I believe) the AI did seem to mindlesly human wave attack me. Still Steel Panthers is my favorite turn based strategy game.

Looks Great,Downloading now.And I also play CM:BB if you're interested Xawery.But it's nice to find something that can do all sorts of post WWII conflict.

Edit:Bah I keep getting CTDs

hm i dont want to presume things or maybe even they tell ya about it or it has a different reason alltogether - ive downloaded it from their site  confused_o.gif

just wanna tell ya to be careful and check it yourself

Quote[/b] ]Virus erkannt: Trj/Downloader.CEE Antivirus-Schutz 06/27/05 21:23:08 Desinfiziert Pfad: ..., steel panthers, main battle tank.exe
(i renamed the exe myself)

huh.gif

@ June 27 2005' date='21:37)']

just wanna tell ya to be careful and check it yourself

Quote[/b] ]Virus erkannt: Trj/Downloader.CEE Antivirus-Schutz 06/27/05 21:23:08 Desinfiziert Pfad: ..., steel panthers, main battle tank.exe
(i renamed the exe myself)

huh.gif

Tested with NOD32 2.5, latest virus definitions, nothing found. Guess it's false alarm by your antivirus, it's highly improbable that they would release trojan.

Downloaded when it was released , from the url in the first post, using the main download server from shrapnel (not a mirror).

As i doubt a trojan found its way there (no report of this in the main forum), there are chances it is a false positive like it happens sometime.

But if it is not a false positive , i suggest you to scan your computer to see if you are not infected by some malwares , that could have infected the .exe of WinSP:MBT on your system.

The new update is available now. It contains fixs, a new campaign many new missions and much more. It came out sunday actually, the patch is only about 19 megs if I remember right.

Nice find, downloading right now (even if i have not noticed any of all those bugs , now corrected, to be honest smile_o.gif )

Is anyone in here for a PBEM game of winSP:MBT (latest version 4.5)?

I'd like to play a game in the late Cold War era, preferably a NATO-country against a Warsaw Pact-country (I'd choose USSR or East Germany for myself).

I'll write an AAR (after action report) of this game, and it would be cool to read an AAR from the opponent.

Looking forward to any opponent!

I am not very good at this, troops under my control seems to have some kind of death wish :D , but i can play if you want.

At least that will allow me to change a bit my mood from my mourning.

I will try to get an AAR from the point of view of my canon fodders.

As i don't have any particular preferences for getting the lower area of my troops back being kicked, what would you like for the year/month, map zone, or which country you would me to be (i can play and lose with any of them without a problem) ?

Do you want to create the game (and so play first), or do you prefer if i do ?

Should we allow air units or disallow them ?

Answered with a PM, looking forward to a good game!

Hopefully others will have a good reading from our AARs and facepalm regarding our tactical decisions!