Sign in to follow this  
cell7

Heat exhaust

Hav'nt found anything like this yet. Is there an addon with heat exhaust that produces transparent smoke or haze?

do you mean like a blurred effect, if so then no. I dont think its possible. Though I could be wrong.

its not possible atm to create such a blurred effect

but smoke is possible

Here is  the code I used on the Lynx.

"smoke" and "smoke1" are memory points in the model memory lod at the position where you want the  smoke effect to appear.

call the script when you start the engine on the model

enginesmoke.sqs

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_helo = _this select 0

_count = 0

_enginesmoke = 0

_thrust = 0

_adding = true

_random_opacity = (random 0.005)

_smoke_count_check = (random 15)

_smoke_count = 0

_opacity = 0

_MoveVelocity = [_velo * sin _dir, _velo * cos _dir, 0.2]

_color = [0.05859,0.05859,0.05859,0.3]

#enginesmoke

?_enginesmoke >=20:_enginesmoke =0

_enginesmoke =_enginesmoke + 0.015

_thrust = _thrust + 0.015

#loop

? !isEngineOn _helo : goto "wait"

drop["cl_water","","Billboard",1,1.2,"smoke",_MoveVelocity,0,0.80,1,0,[1,5],[[0.74609,0.74609,0.74609,0.005],[0.1,0.1,0.15,random 0.01],[0.1,0.1,0.15,0]],[0,1],1,5,"","",_helo]

drop["cl_water","","Billboard",1,1.2,"smoke",_MoveVelocity,0,0.80,1,0,[1,5],[[0.74609,0.74609,0.74609,0.005],[0.1,0.1,0.15,random 0.01],[0.1,0.1,0.15,0]],[0,1],1,5,"","",_helo]

drop["cl_water","","Billboard",1,1.2,"smoke1",_MoveVelocity,0,0.80,1,0,[1,5],[[0.74609,0.74609,0.74609,0.005],[0.1,0.1,0.15,random 0.01],[0.1,0.1,0.15,0]],[0,1],1,5,"","",_helo]

drop["cl_water","","Billboard",1,1.2,"smoke1",_MoveVelocity,0,0.80,1,0,[1,5],[[0.74609,0.74609,0.74609,0.005],[0.1,0.1,0.15,random 0.01],[0.1,0.1,0.15,0]],[0,1],1,5,"","",_helo]

~0.01

goto "enginesmoke"

#wait

~1

?!isEngineOn _helo: exit

goto "enginesmoke"

hmm...at first, Reflective Water wasn't possible...what do we have now...reflective water tounge2.gif

I think in some way Heat Haze is possible, but I think we don't need it...it would just eat more performance! band.gifbiggrin_o.gif

hmm...at first, Reflective Water wasn't possible...what do we have now...reflective water tounge2.gif

I think in some way Heat Haze is possible, but I think we don't need it...it would just eat more performance! band.gifbiggrin_o.gif

A DirectX 8 engine cannot support features introduced in DirectX9 wink_o.gif

Thanks Colonel Klink, I guess smoke is still the only option besides animating texture with setobjecttexture on a timeline which would be overkill.

what about a semi transparent smoke script? you can set the transparency in script, so why not set that up and use it to simulate "heat haze" ? smile_o.gif

Wildo

what about a semi transparent smoke script? you can set the transparency in script, so why not set that up and use it to simulate "heat haze" ? smile_o.gif

Wildo

Sounds good. Anyone willing to give that a go? How about you Wildo? Scripts are not my thing. confused_o.gif

Ill try messing about with it... wink_o.gif

but no guarantees though... tounge2.gif

Edit- no, actually i wont... tounge2.gif too much unsung work to do. banghead.gif

A DirectX 8 engine cannot support features introduced in DirectX9 wink_o.gif

eh...Heat Haze is a DX 9 feature?

not sure about that...

Quote[/b] ]Sounds good. Anyone willing to give that a go? How about you Wildo? Scripts are not my thing.

and what do you think my thing is? wink_o.gif :P but ill give it ago, or bring it up with klinkster on msn smile_o.gif

Wildo

what if you put a 3d object and textured it with blurred textures and either used setobjecttexture or have the object rotate. I think that would get the job done.

what if you put a 3d object and textured it with blurred textures and either used setobjecttexture or have the object rotate. I think that would get the job done.

Tried it, didn’t have the desired affect. May-be if I had 10 virtual blurs spinning, hmmm. Overkill I think. The p3d I want it for already has a high enough poly count.

It's possible, similar idea to DXDLL's water reflection ripple (If you map the water texture to something, it relfects like water, you'd just have a special heat haze texture that gets whats behind it and disrort it). But it's not the easiest to implement.... crazy_o.gif

- Ben

Did anyone not see what Col. Klink posted...? It does the job well... and it's finished.

yes its good but its smoke not a heat haze

a haze usually blurrs the view an u cant do that in ofp by default...

is the point of this to simulate the M1 exhaust properly? or jet engines? or both?

it would be cool, but seems via discussions it might be a lot of work to figure out.

what about a compromise and a low density white colored smoke that is almost transparent? is that what the script by Col/ Klink does?

Well, i think Cell7 wanted to use that haze effect for his X-Wing or Millenium Falcon. So, for the jet`s