Sign in to follow this  
alacasam

better Weapons sounds

I like to begin by saying that i played bf2 since the demo was out, and that i was really surprise with the sound in that game (grafics too). the sound of firearms (popcorn sound )sound awsome even if you are at a distance of the guys who fired some shots .could better sound be implement in aras?(i mean weapons sounds), what are the limitations? is there limitation? I know that bf2 is not the same kind of game ....... but id like bis to polish this game the better they can.....and i know they will wink_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

IMO the BF2 weapons sound effects are quite good at distance. But at close range they are terrible.

If you want to hear how the weapons in ArAs sound, just watch the OFPxbox trailers at Gamespot.

bf2 weapons sound like they are a mile away even if they are right next to you, althought i do agree with them being very nice distance sounds. Call of duty has a better system implemented, most noticable with the mp40, when it's close it has a normal, ofp like sound. when it's (very) far away it is more distorted and is (i think) a different sound file.

you people are missing a very important point; dynamic sound.

A rifle sounds completely different when fired at 500m and next to your ear. In the first case it sounds like a sharp snap-sounds, in the second case you don't hear a thing tounge2.gif

j/k, but my point is that there should be some sort of dynamic sound for ArmA. This could be done like in HL2 where there are two sounds for every weapon; one for close range and one for distant shots.

Right now, addonmakers have to balance their sounds. They have to make them sound realistic at close and at long range. This is almost impossible.

About the sounds in the original game; remember that OFP was not a big game, but that is was actually quite a small game. They never even hoped that it would be the succes it is today. This succes showed many shortcommings in the engine (build-in limitations) and indeed also the sounds. But ArmA and OFP2 are meant to be big games and will undoubtly be better in every way, including the sounds.

Would it really be nesessary to have 2 different sound files for short and long range? If you study how sound changes when it travels wouldnt it be possible to just have one soundfile and have the game edit the sound instead of just playing the file directly? In OFP you can hear difference in the sound if you are going towards the source or away from the source so I think it should be possible to have the sound change over distance. I assume OFP doesnt have 3 soundfiles for every weapon. smile_o.gif

Also different sounds while inside buildings etc.

I guess there is no need for several soundfiles for one weapon.

It´s a matter of the soundengine to get this right.

This also goes for sounds in and outside of buildings.

Once you enter a building the gunshots from outside should get more dull and doors should affect the sound aswell.

I guess I already adressed that in one of the suggestion threads.

A good example for such a dynamic sound engine is the Thief 3 program, that actually calculates the hearability of sounds through doors, windows , winded hallways and such. They top it even more by AI reacting to that sounds.

Quote[/b] ]I guess there is no need for several soundfiles for one weapon.

It´s a matter of the soundengine to get this right.

This also goes for sounds in and outside of buildings.

I have been saying this!

TOO RIGHT!

A good sound engine that modulates the sound would be far better and more versatile than clogging up your memory with multiple soundfiles.

Another problem that will inevitably addressed as games get more advanced is the fact that when a gun fires, there is more than just one sound.

It's many.

You can still hear the sound of a bullet firing from a far distance as a pop, but still get the full effect of the supersonic "hiss or roar" as the sound waves hit something, like a line of buildings, or a wall of trees. Which sort of contradicts combining the two into a single sound file that plays at the same volume regardless of distance. Furthermore, when you shoot directly at the ground, or in the air. Typically the sound is much less pronounced. One thing that contributes to the overall carry of firearm noise is that supersonic roar of sound hitting nearby objects. If you're shooting straight up. You get the bang... or pop, and then nothing. That doesn't carry nearly as far as the soundwaves are muffled prematurely, or simply dissipate into the atmosphere with nothing to hit.

I know because I've been downrange a few times when people have fired and heard it firsthand...  crazy_o.gif

Doppler effects, its all about doppler effects.

The way sounds changes depending on distance isn't just on the amplitude (volume) but its also about frequency.

For example listen to an ambulance driving by, its sound doesn't also get softer but the frequency alters to a lower frequency.

The great examples are an ambulance driving by or a C-47 Skytrain.

Thanks to Doppler submarines now have not only the capability by searching for distance but now they can even give details about the relief in the seabottom.

The Doppler engine developed by Creative for FarCry is only 3MB big and sounds great. Just like in real-life.

Link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect

The sound in OFP always got me confused, I could never tell where the hell a shot was comming from. I sure hope that is fixed in AA. I liked Joint Operations little radar indicator that showed the direction and proximity range of enemy shots. But even without the shot radar in JO I got use to telling shot direction and approximate distance. Hell I even learned to tell what kind of weapon it was from the sound it made, this I think is huge skill warriors and virtual warriors need to learn.

The sound in OFP always got me confused, I could never tell where the hell a shot was comming from.

Of course you can. You have to switch your windows sound settings to headphones or 2 speakers, because OFP does not support 5.1 Speakers. If i play with 5.1 settings, i have the same problem.... *g*

I play OFP with headphone speaker settings, so i can locate every positions. biggrin_o.gif

The sound in OFP always got me confused, I could never tell where the hell a shot was comming from.  I sure hope that is fixed in AA.  I liked Joint Operations little radar indicator that showed the direction and proximity range of enemy shots. But even without the shot radar in JO I got use to telling shot direction and approximate distance. Hell I even learned to tell what kind of weapon it was from the sound it made, this I think is huge skill warriors and virtual warriors need to learn.

Sounds like you haven´t played enough ofp wink_o.gif

I like how it was done in Americas Army, there are distinct sounds from shooting indoors and outdoors, though in ARAS this would be useless has 99.9% combat is done outdoors, i think a good sound engine would be capable of handling dynamic sounds and would also be better than having 2 or more firing sounds per weapon.

I actually think the sound is impressive in flashpoint, the way sound travels. I like how you can see an explosion and then a second later the sound reaches you like real life. It does get muffled and more bass the farther away it is to.

So I like the sound travel part, the sounds them selves are rather weak though. listening to the BIS weapons after lasers and the ones in the MAP pack is disheartening.

On a side note I'll be happy to be rid of the crackling sound problem.

The sound in OFP always got me confused, I could never tell where the hell a shot was comming from.

Of course you can. You have to switch your windows sound settings to headphones or 2 speakers, because OFP does not support 5.1 Speakers. If i play with 5.1 settings, i have the same problem.... *g*

I play OFP with headphone speaker settings, so i can locate every positions.   biggrin_o.gif

That did help out some, JO still had better sound quality for weapons IMO but it was a lot newer then OFP, so I'm sure AA will be as good or better.

Goeth[kyllikki], I'm back playing OFP actually after all these years. It is amazing how well the quality of the game has held up in that time. Runs a lot better too with the new computer hardware xmas_o.gif

I can now run it in 1600 x 1200 * 32 with max quality, high texture (not very high for some reason) almost 3k vis and using the new dx dll, and averages about 32 FPS. Not bad, but there is some weird things in the engine that are hopefully fixed, like shadows thru hills and sun aura's through hills.

you know, the sounds that came with CWC are the actual weapons being fired, the m16a2 is a m16a1, (same difference) ak is an ak, etc, etc. they gave you realism people, don't cry.

the CWC weapon sounds had more umph u know? more power. after resistance bah they sound weak confused_o.gif

ya want em to be louder n have more power? turn ya stereo up loud,that'll fix it thumbs-up.gif .......and your speakers if ya turn em up too loud.

If BIS uses EAX again, then I hope they will take the next step, partner up and use the latest Soundblaster technology to do the realtime soundFX processing. Audigy 2 ZS audio accelerator... nothing better. Most other brand cards will be able to default to at least basic SB drivers if they can't match the processing requests.

The sounds in BF2 sound great because they've been recorded to a very high standard and they've implemented a lot more of the EAX features (occluded sounds when they come from behind something, added reverb when you're inside, or near a wall or cliff).

The doppler effect has been a part of games for a long time.  It's definitely in flashpoint; just listen to the vehicles.  Gunshots are not (well, sort of) effected by the doppler effect as they are not continuous.