Sign in to follow this  
POPKA

House Divided.

Constructive criticism is always good, however, here praising is in order tounge2.gif. Nice to see your injury addon approach it's gruesome climax Gavin biggrin_o.gif. Looks good and fresh.

Cheers lads, well were thinking of using a hit single from Kevin Federline's new album for our mods er title music hehe wink_o.gif

Right heres the run down of our mods priorities, just so you guys know where we stand.

At the moment, we are still tying down the basics of the mods game system, A LOT is done, but there is still a considerable amount to be done.

The weapons are all textured, and all modelled, and only a small few out of the 20 still need lods, their coding is basically done, requiring just some refinements, most optics are done, we could do with some better sound fx here or there tho, but id say about 80% done.

As for units, they are now 90% all lodded, they are all textured and modelled (for this release) there are some more animations still to be done here or there, but overall the units are about 80% done too.

As for artillery and other 'vehicles' like wagons and cavalry, while most are modelled and textured, there not all lodded, and many have to be totally recoded (as to make them behave in the way we really want them too) so about 40% done there.

There is a new GUI, new model notebook, and other things like our own compass and watch (easier than u think to do) that still need to get done tho...

The island, the main one is a VERY different conversion of Everon, (totally newly placed towns for example) but it is a vast project in itself, and we do not want to keep the mods first release till this island is complete.

So we will ask 1 of those who made a map for cwmod, if we can work with them on putting in some historical buildings (we are talking about a relative quick job but not rushed) to include a map for the release.

As for missions/campaigns, well, for the first release, which bearing in mind is an internalised beta (but open to u guys when i sy when wink_o.gif will not be ready for some time. As yet we have NO mission makers, so ill be recruiting in a week or so.

Anyway, its a long post i know lol, what this all means for timescale is honeslty very hard to say, but i think 2 months is about right for the first internalised beta, then a month again for a public beta or first release.

Alright lads, Zalmoxis has taken the brave stance of modelling the new horse for our mod, while bigus_dikus of the cwmod is allowing us to add some custom objects to one of his civil war battlefield maps, so that we can have a new map ready for our release, for our big fancy map (will take a wee bit too long to include.)

The first battle of Bull run, will be the map, and will include a short campaign to go with it for our first release. EDIT correction, second battle of bull run.

Alright heres a pic of Henry House, famouse landmark of the Bull Run battlefield, as you might notice (its a retexture and remodel of a bis building) but i swear lol they look so similar it wasnt worth modelling it, and now it sports high res textures (it has lods so dont worry about lag)

map01.jpg

In actual fact Harley if you would like to do some research on the second battle of bull run, including deployments, positioning of hqs etc, and all such relative information, it will help for the wee campaign we're doing for this.

(the campaign will definately have an offbeat quality, for example you play as a union soldier in this famous defeat) something unique anyway,

Alright, now heres a peak at the famous village of Groveston, (at least it was in this battle) and note the different land and other nature textures) These arent a massive difference perhaps, but it gets us in the right season, and plus takes us nice and away from a bis map look.

Um...... right, now i have also changed the lods of the main nature objects, to make them even better for performance, so we can have some reasonable sized scraps.

map02.jpg

Hi, I'm new to the Civil War/Wild west concept. It's different, new, refreshing and I like it (Cavalry inlove.gif ). As I understand your mod wants to display this war from all possible different angles so I have a suggestion: Hot air balloons for reconaissance, nice for some twisted campaign storyline and commanding missions where you can use it for what it's meant.

More info

Looking forward to your first release.

I havn't raid this tread all the way though so i don't knw if you've though about it but what about playing as a commander (coc, or simpler, style) nice work though smile_o.gif keep it but. About those injury anims, they look very nice (i keep thinking about charging acroos a battlefield stopping to bayonet fataly wounded soldiers(no era specified...).

Hi, I'm new to the Civil War/Wild west concept. It's different, new, refreshing and I like it (Cavalry ). As I understand your mod wants to display this war from all possible different angles so I have a suggestion: Hot air balloons for reconaissance

And subs (they exististed, or was that the amarican war of independance)

Hey lads welcome to the thread, we like to encourage discussion about crafting of this mod, we really work of requests and ideas so its all good.

Well definatley their is a romance about the 'lost cause' of the confederacy, and as a scotsman im more than sympathetic to lost causes (after all youve seen our national football team)

So basically we are grounded in a human perspective, we want the war to be about one mans soul as it were, what he experiences and see's, to proceed like the war whether succesful or not.

As regards to CoC and such like, I am very keep for us to experiment with dynamic elements, and would love if it were possible for us to have a dynamic campaign.

Certainly there will be animated cavalry, fighting with carbine, pistol and sword, (you may have to choose which one you go as) lol,

As for the hot air balloon haha, well you never know wink_o.gif certainly i intend for our mod to include a steam train, already modelled by shinkansen.

Should be interested, he's done sterling work already (as have you). And i agree with you about the Scotish football team (although i live in England, in the south), and i have a link to a dynamic campaign being done set in 'nam. Unscripted war: Vietnam I don't know when the next version will released, and it is a bit old.

I havn't raid this tread all the way though so i don't knw if

And subs (they exististed, or was that the amarican war of independance)

Then you will have missed this...

HDV_Hunley.jpg

This is how far it is finished, I don't know if it will be in the first release or not.

The CSS Hunley was the confederate submarine. There was a submarine in the War Of Independance too, the Holland 1 (although that can hardly be called a submarine).

Looks nice, i heard about the one in the war of independence, i though it looked more like a barrel

Um there can't have been a submarine in the war of independence! I think the first recorded use of a submarine for warfare is actually the civil war.

Thats alright (and im not referring to u conner when i say this) but history is a lurid yet difficult subject haha.

Yep we have a few ships in this mod, and i think they will be spectacular fun, from a frigate, to a steamship, to a river boat, to a big and fancy river boat, to hell this submarine.

In anycase the war of independence was (if you mean the one against Great Britain) was about 70 years before this one.

Wikipedia has the solution to most these historical points tho haha, anyway, EDIT//

I have added the railway line that was missing from the original bull run map.

In this map bigus dikus did, (a great job too) the rebs held a line along an uncompleted railway track, while the union attacked from the area of a village called groveston.

It is a famous battle, and given it will be our first campaign i suggest you chaps check it out.

Second Battle of Bull Run

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Bull_Run

lol omg, my apolagies, it seems in fact the first submarine action was during the war of independence haha

The first military submarine was Turtle, a hand-powered egg-shaped device designed by the American David Bushnell, to accommodate a single man. It was the first verified submarine, capable of independent underwater operation and movement, and the first to use screws for propulsion. During the American Revolutionary War, Turtle (operated by Sgt. Ezra Lee, Continental Army) tried and failed to sink a British warship, HMS Eagle (flagship of the blockaders) in New York harbor on September 7, 1776.

Hehe, Good thing they failed to sink Eagle smile_o.gif.

Already looked at the Wikipedia page on Second Bull Run before searching for details and the like.  All you can trust Wikipedia for are generalisations - otherwise you get some wierd bias or inaccuracies sometime crazy_o.gif.

And HuNTeR, Holland 1 was designed by a mangy Fenian at the end of the nineteenth century smile_o.gif.

Hmm... Wasn't the Henry house mostly destroyed during the First Battle of Bull Run? Texture looks nice though.

shuuut up ESFD shuut up! Even if ur right just dont say it! dont even think it!!!

In actual fact i er... im certain um... CERTAIN that it survived the first battle and was destroyed during the second.

I'll also be adding the 'stone house' as its called, (used as a field hospital during the battle)

Lets hear some suggestions for storylines for this battle as in from a character pespective in the campaign. what side? whta rank? what branch of service etc

Maybe you could have multiple charecters in different branches at different ranks like in cwc.

Well its an idea, i mean it really depends how much u guys would like to have a singular perspective so you can really get into the character, or whether thats less relevant that say having a wide spread of actions.

Heres a typical scene from combat, these poor buggers just got whacked by cannon, (and their shooting away) the guys will shoot cannons/mortars etc, to destroy them and or there crew... sadly they got hit first.

As you can see, theres blood textures, and theirs some injury anims (among the dead)

map03.jpg

Someone quite rightly asked, whether the medic class (so our injury system works) means the units all keep healing each other - they don't (thankfully) and it all works just like it should.

So if it aint a slight flesh wound (1 - 2 points damage) and u aint dead, then u'll tumble in agony for 40 secs (50 most) in 1 of 2 anims.