Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Track ir

Arma with G-Pad? bah! rofl.gif

lol, I would guess the intentional use would be for driving/flying only. I would hope not for on foot crazy_o.gif

Weee,

I just saw that eDimensional got another new gadget... biggrin_o.gif

I won't be buying anything else from eDimensional until they've had the decency to sort out my 3D Glasses! I like to deal with companies that have good customer support and so far this is NOT my experience with them.

If you are unlucky enough to have bought a device from them that does not function then you will know what I mean!  banghead.gif

I’ll be keeping a log of my progress with them over here!  wink_o.gif

Gyroscopic devices are no good for gaming unless you spend a large amount of time "mastering" it. I have a gyroscopic mouse by Gyration (http://www.gyration.com/en-US). It is used on my home theater PC and it takes quite a bit of effort to even press a button. Most times I just use the optical part of the mouse anyways.

What would be interesting would be to use a gyroscope as an alternative to the IR part of TIR... i.e mount it to your head rather than using your hands. You would only get 2 axis control though.

Hmm... http://www.gyration.com/en-US/GyroTech.html

these are tiny.. maybe mount three on the head at different angles and you might be able to compute 6DOF. Incorporate this into USB headphones maybe?

Hmmm....

hmm.... I may have a project on my hands.

Hmmm....

hmm.... I may have a project on my hands.

That's great news Crash. ..... Will you be making 3D Glasses as well?  biggrin_o.gif  wink.gif

Lol.. yeah.. I wish. I need to know how much these little gyros cost first. Would make a cool project. Hell, these would be really cool in an RC aircraft.. you could make a programmable RC plane or something.. wow.. these little puppies deserve their own thread. Anywyas, this is too OT for this thread now.

I will look into it though. I'm not sure I can get X,Y, Z control like the TIR.. atleast I don't know how with these things. Maybe someone else could.

There are rumors that 3dvisor, who made the z800 Stereoscopic, motion-sensitive LED HMD, are working on a higher resolution version. (z800 is 800x600)

www.3dvisor.com

For those of you that wonder what TrackIR's look like when being used, and how smoothly it translates into in-game movements, I made a video that shows off simultaneous in-game and real-life movements in Aces High II.

You can find it here on Google Video.

Yes, they're awesome. I can't wait to use mine in Armed Assault. inlove.gif

thanks for the link, i was hoping to have the time to do the same thing, but i havent.

having both ingame, and realtime shot really shows how it works!..because the "so if i look to the right, HOW am i going to look at my monitor then??" question. smile_o.gif

now rmemeber, for those that DONT have track-IR, everything is tunable to your liking, or needs. adjusting sensativity will make you move, more or less than he did, in the film.

great post!

I hope you don't ever fly like that IRL Dslyecxi!  biggrin_o.gif If you've ever blacked out for real you'll know what I mean! Nice video though and shows perfectly how TIR functions. I'm disappointed in you though... because you're wearing earphones and have a hat as well?

You see if you are wearing earphones you can simply clip that reflector peace on to the top of the earphone headpiece, and instead of looking really cool like you were in that video you can look like an oversized Praying Mantis trying to track the flight of a very nervous housefly!  tounge2.gif

If I ever get my 3D glasses working Ill show ya all a picture of just how cool it is to have TIR, 3D stereo glasses and headphones whilst sat in front a Fresnel lens hanging in front of your monitor by a telescopic pole whilst sitting in a semi darkened room!   biggrin_o.gif

I´m so getting the next gen 3dVisor! 1024 or 1280 would suffice to get over the 800X600 problem with new games.

hypothetically speaking - ofcorse - If this game were to come out for the Xbox 360, which really is a must, would the AA team be interested in using the xbox camera to mimic the track IR? i mean the xbox camera employs gesturetek technology that can track movements down to the fingertips and so do you think the camera could be used in AA?

For those of you that wonder what TrackIR's look like when being used, and how smoothly it translates into in-game movements, I made a video that shows off simultaneous in-game and real-life movements in Aces High II.

You can find it here on Google Video.

Great video!! Gives a very good impression of what to expect of TrackIR for the (still) non-owner of the stuff

I just bought a TrackIR 4 today using the coupon provided. $150.00 is expensive but it looks like it will come in pretty handy from the videos I have seen.

Has anyone tried coupling TrackIR with a Fresnel Lens?

If so, what do you think?

Hello all.

I think I might get myself a TIR 4 (even if I dunno how since the italian post service sucks, lost several insured packages before! pistols.gif ) and I'm considering seriously also the Fresnel Lens as well (in IL2 it'll do wonders, like in most other games I suppose.).

One question though, and it's about safetyness: isn't it dangerous for the eyes? I'm referring to both lense and TIR.

For the lense, well, I guess it's basically having a magnifying glass in front of you; as for TIR,

FOV_for_web-v3.jpg

I'm just wondering if having always IR beaming at you might be problematic after some time. Since, if there'll still be the chance, I do have the intentions to grab one, I've in mind to put the TIR on my head and the sticker on the monitor -or nearby! I know it may sound pretty silly to most, but I'm just trying to limit eventual dangers. huh.gif

I have these doubts simply 'cause 1) I'm not an expert, and 2) I just want to play safe, that's it!

I'm just wondering if having always IR beaming at you might be problematic after some time.

If you'll open the curtains for one minute during a sunny day you will propably receive more IR radiation than an year in front of the TIR smile_o.gif

The IR leds shut off when you close the TIR software anyway, and I only run the software when I need it (When I'm about to play a TIR enabled game). With the LEDs on it tends to get really hot so keeping it on 24/7 would propably not be a good idea.

I'm just wondering if having always IR beaming at you might be problematic after some time.

If you'll open the curtains for one minute during a sunny day you will propably receive more IR radiation than an year in front of the TIR smile_o.gif

The IR leds shut off when you close the TIR software anyway, and I only run the software when I need it (When I'm about to play a TIR enabled game). With the LEDs on it tends to get really hot so keeping it on 24/7 would propably not be a good idea.

Haha, ok CurtainBoy! biggrin_o.gif But I was only mentioning during gameing, not when I'm NOT playing of course. ^__^

Any ideas 'bout the Fresnel lenses?

Thanks for the reply.

Forgotten: is OFP compatible with TIR 3/4?

Well the lenses are normally used to help people with poor eyesight. Also, I have been using one since 1996 with no ill-effects (other than age).

--Ben

Well the lenses are normally used to help people with poor eyesight. Also, I have been using one since 1996 with no ill-effects (other than age).

--Ben

Holy wow... o_O

For a decade?! Always with the same lens or you've changed it?

So do we look at the game on the monitor (and keep our eyes on the screen while twisting our heads around) or do we watch whats happening on a lense right infront of your eyes?

So do we look at the game on the monitor (and keep our eyes on the screen while twisting our heads around) or do we watch whats happening on a lense right infront of your eyes?

You keep your eyes focused on the monitor while you turn your head slightly.

It sounds painful but it really isn't. I have my settings so that if you turn your head 45 degrees your view in game will turn 180 degrees.

Another nice feature of TIR is that there is a threshold for initiating rotation. For example if you are looking straight and move your head ever_so_slightly it won't be enough to break the foward view. Slighty head movements only work when you moved your head enough to break the center view.

TIR is going ot compliment ArmA very well.

When you put a lens in front of your face you are not looking at the lens but the magnified projected image of the monitor behind it. Also because your eyes are focusing further away than normal it is actually less stressful on the eyes. Rather than constantly focusing 18" or less at a flat screen you are focusing out nearer to infinity, as this is how the projected image appears through a lens. As benreeper said similar lenses are used to help old folk with bad eyesight to read newspapers etc.!  tounge2.gif

With regards to the IR beam emitted by the TIR device I think that is a bit of a lame concern! Infrared is a very abundant and very safe form of radiation and is nothing more than the red spectrum of light that is out of our normal viewing range. In other words it is just a form of light that we are not able to see with our eyes. That desktop light next to you computer is probably emitting 100 times or more IR than the TIR on the top of your monitor!

As for combining a Fresnel lens with TIR I can confirm that it is a very cool combination, and is currently the most cost effective VR setup ATM.  wink_o.gif

Forgotten: is OFP compatible with TIR 3/4?

I don't think it does, I've tried it but it didn't work for me.

If anyone knows a workaround please post it though..

With regards to the IR beam emitted by the TIR device I think that is a bit of a lame concern! Infrared is a very abundant and very safe form of radiation and is nothing more than the red spectrum of light that is out of our normal viewing range. In other words it is just a form of light that we are not able to see with our eyes. That desktop light next to you computer is probably emitting 100 times or more IR than the TIR on the top of your monitor!

Ok, thanks for the info. Just wanted to be sure, not to provoke any wrong ideas. wink_o.gif