Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Track ir

^I don’t full understand your post, but I was mainly just responding to Aragon and the video he posted. It uses 6DOF and I wanted to make sure people don’t assume ArmA will have all that free movement that’s shown in that video.

Now, that control menu screen shot from the press demo that you posted; the two lean options are not the "X" axis, it’s “roll†(assuming the data from naturalpoint’s website is correct). If I was to take a stab at how the “roll†will be implemented in ArmA, I would say if you roll your head to a certain degree, your body in-game will lean. Since it doesn’t say “(analog)†it will probably be on/off depending on how much you roll your head. The “Z†axis will probably be some kind of zoom like you said.

It’s not easy to implement 6DOF in a fps, but it would be great if they could at least support 6DOF for flying and driving.

Since it doesn’t say “(analog)†it will probably be on/off depending on how much you roll your head.

We'll have to wait and see, but in OFP:Elite leaning was analog.

I am most definitly considering the Track IR Pro, after seing some of the videos on their website. Check out those car and flight sim videos! notworthy.gif

It would really add a lot to the immersion of a wargame as well, I am sure of it.

Ive been into the Falcon series for donks and ill definately be getting Track IR4 for Falcon4 AF. With F4AF's widescreen support in 3d its going to be tops on the Dell 24" 1920x1200. This twin CPU ready sim was way ahead of its time and is now awakened.

Yes i would like to see Track IR supported in AA especially in choppers and imagine itll come to infantry FPS's because surely the speed and accuracy from the head beats the same from the hand. Wether Track IR4's tech is at this level yet i dont know but ill be getting one very soon for my flight sim and will report back on applying to FPS's in infantry role etc..

I use TIR regularly for several sims and I can highly recommend it. I had some amount of small success using it in OFP but it wasn't very satisfactory. It definately needs to be natively supported as in AA.

Looking at the video it seems to be mostly implemented as I hoped it would be (in fact I think my post got merged into this one but it must be many pages back) with the exception of lean, which I didn't see any evidence of.

Nice to see that the head view is seperate from the weapon/body direction until the ironsight is raised. Hopefully when the ironsight is raised the TIR is disabled and the view comes under the control of the mouse, but I couldn't tell from the video.

And of course TIR for vehicle driving/piloting is a no-brainer. 6DoF is especially nice for helo flying, enabling you to lean & reach around the cockpit when coming in to land in crowded areas, makes all the difference. But to be honest I'm most excited about the ground soldier implementation of TIR, OFP has always immersed me more than other games and the ability to casually look about without losing your weapon orientation cannot be overstated. I really really hope that full 6DoF has been programmed in, I'd love to be able to lean around a wall/bush/vehicle without having to expose all of me.

And just imagine leaning to the left/right of your weapon when prone, looking for enemy soldiers, just waiting to raise your ironsight up as soon as you spot any. smile_o.gif

I got myself a TrackIR 4 today despite the high price (148e with shipping). And yes, it is a very impressive device, dogfighting in IL2 is so much different now. I got used to it pretty much immediately, I increased the sensitivity a bit since the default nonlinearity was a bit annoying and felt counter intuitive. In racing sims (Live for Speed) on a quick test it didn't immediately feel as being such a big aid, and it felt it made keeping a good racing line more difficult. But it should help in a racing situation to avoid hitting others.

A problem I noticed quite soon was that when looking upwards, the visor of the cap covers the top reflector of the vector clip and the device stops the tracking immediately. When I then turn my head back down again it quickly jumps to some other position which is quite disorienting. I made it better by bending the vector clip so that the top reflector is higher, but it didn't entirely eliminate the problem.

My current verdict for it is that it is indeed a very impressive device, especially for flight sims. The price is very high though, and I would not recommend using your savings to buy it. But if you happen to have that much extra money then it is a good thing to spend them at, at least if you like flight sims.

Now all I want is a malware free version of LOMAC Flaming Cliffs sad_o.gif

A problem I noticed quite soon was that when looking upwards, the visor of the cap covers the top reflector of the vector clip and the device stops the tracking immediately. When I then turn my head back down again it quickly jumps to some other position which is quite disorienting. I made it better by bending the vector clip so that the top reflector is higher, but it didn't entirely eliminate the problem.

There are two solutions to this that do not require you to bend the clip. One is simply to mount the sensor somewhere higher so that it looks down at you rather than straight. The other is to use headphones instead of a cap, where the reflector clip is attached to the top of your part of your headphones. I find that when using a cap visor the reflectors tend to look down too much.

Personally I don't like using a cap and went over to using my headphones pretty quickly. Also you get better sounds with phones and you can turn it up loud with out annoying the other half!   wink_o.gif

I agree with your verdict on racing sims. I tried it with Live for Speed too and it does take a bit of getting used too in order to keep a good racing line! However, after a while it comes quite natural and looking in the virtual mirror to check behind feels very natural!

I'm hoping for great things here with ArmA and the ability to look around as a soldier on foot as well as driving and flying is hopefully gonna be truly immersive. This device already rocks big time with flight sims!

There are two solutions to this that do not require you to bend the clip. One is simply to mount the sensor somewhere higher so that it looks down at you rather than straight.

I tried this by mounting it on the wall looking a bit downwards at me, but it seemed to screw up the Z and Y axes in a way that whenever I moved my head forwards the view also moved downwards at the same time. confused_o.gif Headphones do not work for me that well since I get better quality with my speakers (And my crappy headphones fall off my head when I look down :P)

But I adjusted the pitch axis so that it is more sensitive, so I do not need to turn my head up that much anymore... Its not as accurate that way though.

I tried this by mounting it on the wall looking a bit downwards at me, but it seemed to screw up the Z and Y axes in a way that whenever I moved my head forwards the view also moved downwards at the same time.

Yeah, I suppose that would happen, it hasn't bothered me probably because I do not use the Z-axis movements much. Moving your head forwards in a flight sim would get you nearer your instruments for a clearer view, but wouldn't make much difference to the infinite view out of the window! Also since I mostly sit in a lazy reclined position while at the computer it's just too much effort to lean forwards anyhow!  tounge2.gif

According to the Track ir Website the Y-axis will not be supported in ArmA but I notice that the Z-axis is. I'm not sure how it is gonna be used though, maybe for examining the teeth of your CO!  biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]According to the Track ir Website the Y-axis will not be supported in ArmA but I notice that the Z-axis is. I'm not sure how it is gonna be used though, maybe for examining the teeth of your CO

...or maybe for using ironsight mode, wouldn't it be a nice idea ? wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]According to the Track ir Website the Y-axis will not be supported in ArmA but I notice that the Z-axis is. I'm not sure how it is gonna be used though, maybe for examining the teeth of your CO

...or maybe for using ironsight mode, wouldn't it be a nice idea ?  wink_o.gif

Not sure that I would like that! To me the main purpose of Track ir is to add realism and immersion to a game by simulating the effects of your head movements. If I look right I should look right in game too, looking left with my head will make me see left in game same with up and down and possibly tilting (rolling) left and right to make me lean to peer around objects.

If I then move forwards and suddenly my view becomes an iron sight or a sniper scope that would not be realistic and would not work for me. Personally I would rather leave toggling iron sight view to a mouse/keyboard button, after all this is an action not a view movement and in any case would be a lot easier than moving your head to and fro like some head-banger trying to find his target!  tounge2.gif

Maybe it could be used for normal OFP type zoom, but I'm not sure how well that would work either I’d probably still prefer a button for that. Hmm.... I think I would just leave the Z-axis set for examining the teeth of the CO!  wink_o.gif

The main thing I think is that all of the Track ir functions in ArmA can be user assigned to suit the preferences of each individual.

That's awesome - i never realised you could control how far you lean using TrackIR too, and look around whilst leaning. Says in the text you can control your Zoom with it too, but didn't see any of that in the video.

Very neat,Thanks for the Video.

Oh and BIS and TrackIR folks,great idea on that 30$ reduction in prize thing. Then again , I am still so not going to buy this product unless it drops below 120$ for their new one. Unfortunately so far I couldn't find any cheap second-hand ones either. Which is a shame since I think this is a great input device , just needs some market competition and mass-production.Well, hopefully that doesn't take years

Very impressed with the animations, this video shows them off far better than we’ve seen previously. smile_o.gif

(Reminds me very much of Raven Shield with the free-leaning ability.)

A new video is now available on the PCFormatBlog. This time, the video show alot more the possibilities with leaning using TrackIR device. Even though it is the same Alpha build from E3 as all the other videoes, this is very promising, and features a analog leaning process (so you can lean the exact amount you want, by moving your body).

here

Very nice video that vegetation looked awesome and this is what .... an E3 Demo build? somersault.gif ... Wow!

As for the head movements it looks like leaning is assignable to the 'roll' axis as I first thought! No more scrabbling for those lean left and lean right keys, just roll your head sideways 'till you can see your target!

I did not see the Z-axis (zoom) feature in the vid though, unless it was assigned to iron sights .... Argh!

(Reminds me very much of Raven Shield with the free-leaning ability.)

I hope it will be in ArmA too, so i don't have to buy that rather expencive TrackIR...

Now I have a problem.. My LAN-mates and I are buying Arma and TrackIR. LAN being the problem. If someone's leaning out and shooting and me, I'll have a problem trying NOT to know who is doing it. They'll look a lot like this ----> yay.gif

peeking around the monitor at me.

Need not to worry. This TrackIR set is not very expensive. If you buy it through BIs, u got a 30% discount. All in all, u can get a set for $150 (USA dollar). However, I'm from Hungary, 30000HUF. I got this info from Espectro (arma.dk, cheers biggrin_o.gif )

Need not to worry. This TrackIR set is not very expensive. If you buy it through BIs, u got a 30% discount. All in all, u can get a set for $150 (USA dollar). However, I'm from Hungary, 30000HUF. I got this info from Espectro (arma.dk, cheers biggrin_o.gif )

If ArmA would be delayed for a little bit more, maybe i could earn some money for TrackIR in that time... biggrin_o.gif