Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Track ir

Since there are very few simulators today that supports full 6DOF (I could be wrong but last time I checked it was only MSFS, BoB and the upcoming - not yet released - Black Shark) I have to disagree with you Strango.

A TIR2 works perfect with todays sims (IL2/LOMAC/F4/etc.) and there would be no real benefit buying the more expensive one for todays sims. Of course I don't know if ArmA will support full 6DOF but I have hard time seeing exactly how this would work in a FPS?

Yes, a TIR3/TIR4 is better and more "future proof" but if money is an issue I would still recommend a TIR2, just my 0.20 SEK

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Here's the supported games list straight from Natural Point's site:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir....ll.html

I count 21 games that support 6DOF. I hardly call that "very few". All I'm saying is that you get a much greater sense of immersion with 6DOF. You also get more fluid movement with a higher reading rate. The sensor is also wider giving you more freedom for casual movement instead of the rock steady head movement you have to maintain with the earlier versions of TIR. If money is an issue for you then you're probably better off getting a TIR2.

EDIT: As for Armed Assault I just noticed they have it listed on the page and it will support Yaw, Pitch, Roll and Z. Roll and Z would not be available with a TIR2.

Thanks for the link Strango! Indeed more titles then last time I checked. Myself will be happy to just get an intuitive way to swivel my head left/right/up/down in OFP but as you say the newer TIR3 and TIR4 are better, but at a price wink_o.gif

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

I know theres a poll thread on the topic of TrackIR, but I wonder if anyone in dev can describe how the TrackIR is actually being implemented?

If I were to implement TIR into OFP/AA, here's how I would initially try it for testing:

Body and weapon controlled my keyboard & mouse.

Head controlled by TIR, body leaning controlled by TIR (6DoF)

When using ironsights, the mouse controls all head and body movement, however TIR still controls body leaning.

When crouched, TIR can also control height as well as leaning, allowing peeping over obstacles.

This might take a little getting used to, particularly the switch from TIR to mouse control for ironsights, and particularly the retention of control for TIR over body leaning, but thinking on what I need to do in those situations, that setup makes the most sense to me.

I am particularly interested in this smile_o.gif

Merged separate IR thread into here, there's no need for 2 threads on Track IR.

This will be awesome! I'm hoping this year model's HMD's works with the Track IR interface (mouse control?). Would be great.

EDIT: As for Armed Assault I just noticed they have it listed on the page and it will support Yaw, Pitch, Roll and Z.  Roll and Z would not be available with a TIR2.

I see the list too. I was really hoping for full 6DOF. Being able to move your view up, down and sideways could prove very useful when turned in in a tank as driver.

Now I'm in a dilemma. I have the Tir3pro.

Should I just get Vector or the Tir4? I want the TIR4, but I'm also trying to do the most sensible thing regarding costs.

I was thinking about getting the TIR3 + Vector Expansion because it would be cheaper than getting the TIR4. Then I heard the TIR4 has better resolution and response time and larger tracking area. Larger tracking area could come in handy because I move a lot. If I think about it, I crouch and do all kind of silly things in front of my computer desk while I am trying to survive on the battlefield. smile_o.gif

But then again, I don't have any previous TIR products so I will probably jump straight to the TIR4. I'm sure TIR3+Vector will do the trick, but I don't know how much better the TIR4 is compared to that combo.

I have a TIR3 and think the reading rate and resolution is silky smooth, so I can't see how TIR4 could noticeably improve on this anymore. The one feature it does have that intrigues me is the larger tracking area. If you are going to mount your tracking device more than 3 or more feet from where you sit, then this larger tracking area is going to come in handy. I have my TIR3 mounted about 3 feet away (I have a flats screen monitor, so resting it on top isn't an option). At this distance you have to make sure you are perfectly aligned with the device in order for you to get in the center of it's scan area. If you aren't in the center then it's possible some of your movements will move outside the scan area and won't be picked up. The easy fix for this is to just mark a spot on the ground for where your chair needs to be and make sure it's in that spot when using TIR.

I have a flats screen monitor, so resting it on top isn't an option

I have mine (TIR3pro) mounted ontop of my LCD screen with the "bracket" that came with it. Works as advertised.

item_clips2_large.jpg

Hmmm, I didn't get a bracket with mine, unless you mean the 3 foot base. How does it work? Maybe I can try to replicate it.

EDIT: N/M, I downloaded the latest manual from NP's site and see it listed in there.

N/M found answer in another forum..DOH

I have ordered TIR4 specially for ArmA. I hope it will be delivered without problems and will justify my hopes.

I have ordered TIR4 specially for ArmA. I hope it will be delivered without problems and will justify my hopes.

I got mine last month! It's quite a small device (I think the CD is bigger and weighs more!wink_o.gif but your gonna like it for what it does. I've been using it in FS2004 and once you’ve got it set-up the way you want it and got the feel of it you'll find that it makes a huge difference in your ability to look around and are much more aware of your surroundings in a much more natural way.

I'd say that this device will rock in ArmA, where being tactically aware of your surroundings is gonna come much more naturally than toggling keys etc. Hmm, along with my Fresnel lens this is gonna immerse me deep into that virtual world that we are all waiting for!   wow_o.gif

Personally I think it's too expensive for such a tiny feature, so I will not be buying it.

TIR is to the head, what the mouse did for the hands.

Apples mouse was initially an expensive flop, but now everyone has got one as an essential.

TIR is like that for immersion.

I'm going to be buying one.

www.simhq.com has got a $30.00 off special on TIR right now.

You can't say it is just a tiny feature. The feature is massive (looking by turning your head). Perhaps the hassle and price will prevent me from buying this stuff but the feature is imho massive.

edit: was directed at Uboy:)

I wonder how come we don't have consumer-priced reasonable quality VR goggles yet, it's been like at least ten years since the first concepts. And the technology most certainly exists.

Like track-ir goggles, only with two mini-lcds displaying a stereoscopic image. With track-ir you turn and move your head allright but you also have to keep your sight on the monitor which is of course completely unnatural.

I wonder how come we don't have consumer-priced reasonable quality VR goggles yet, it's been like at least ten years since the first concepts. And the technology most certainly exists.

Like track-ir goggles, only with two mini-lcds displaying a stereoscopic image. With track-ir you turn and move your head allright but you also have to keep your sight on the monitor which is of course completely unnatural.

While possible this would be a pretty elaborate setup. First you'd need sensors 360 degrees around you. Second you'd need a setup that would allow you to rotate with your controllers.

If you think Track-IR is expensive wait until you see the price tag on something like this.

With track-ir you turn and move your head allright but you also have to keep your sight on the monitor which is of course completely unnatural.

I can understand that you think it would feel unnatural when you havent tried it. All I can say is after a couple of hours you dont notice that you're still looking forward while turning your head. It feels natural.

I have yet to hear someone who owns a TIR and not be satisfied with it.

It really is a an immersion-boost and situational awareness boost.

Quote[/b] ]While possible this would be a pretty elaborate setup. First you'd need sensors 360 degrees around you. Second you'd need a setup that would allow you to rotate with your controllers.

I meant a system like track-ir, only wider angle and with displays. You'd be turning your head say 160 degrees tops which would translate to something like 270 -360 degrees in-game so it would only take two sensors. You would still be controlling the characters body with mouse in a fps game.

I'd imagine 360 degrees and free movement would be better with gyroscopes, hand held wireless controllers and all that stuff which would get a bit too expensive for consumer market I guess.

Quote[/b] ]I can understand that you think it would feel unnatural when you havent tried it. All I can say is after a couple of hours you dont notice that you're still looking forward while turning your head. It feels natural.

Yeah, I haven't actually tried track-ir and I do believe it would get quite intuitive after a while. I've also thought of getting one as soon as I got the extra cash.

Yeah, I haven't actually tried track-ir and I do believe it would get quite intuitive after a while.

Think of TrackIR like your mouse. You have to find the right sensitivity with your mouse to meet your personal preference in the game. TrackIR is the same way. You work up a profile for each game that works best for what you need. After you get over the inital hump of using the hardware it's pretty easy to adjust in new games. Everyone went through the same thing the first time they played a FPS with mouse look.

I got TIR about a month ago when I found it was supported by ArmA. I play Falcon 4.0: AF and could only justify the cost as I knew i'd be able to use it with that sim and this game.

It really does make for a much more immersive experience, if you have the cash there's no reason not to buy one, it's a huge jump forward from turning your 'head' using the keypad.

I got TIR about a month ago when I found it was supported by ArmA. I play Falcon 4.0: AF and could only justify the cost as I knew i'd be able to use it with that sim and this game.

Yea, that's why I'm considering buying one. If I would only use it for ArmA, I don't know if I would fork over the cash, but I also play racing sims. Now, if I also played flight sims it would be a definite buy for me. So, since I play 2 out of 3, I'll "probably" get one. Hell, maybe eventually I'll get into flight sims.

You won't regret getting it for racing sims. It works absolutely great with them, especially the ones that support 6DOF.