Sign in to follow this  
LizardX

Frustrated? Don't flame, come ova'here!

Quote[/b] ]Ive noticed myself getting frustrated over something I have no control over [...]

true, true...

thats the thing...

but sometimes we have control, and we still do shit and blame everyone else.

Sometimes things just go to s==t, call it the embuggarance factor.

I`ve been at stages where i think "God, this is almost ready, give me another week and i`ll be done!"

Then a config problem pops up. Or someone says "Man you really ought to add this into the pack!". Add another month or whatever on instantly.

The best insurance against this is just to make no guarentees, because most of the people who complain about you taking ages are those who don`t make addons and dont understand that there is a big law of murphy involved. smile_o.gif

Next you'll be laying claim to all the addons people make for themselves, becuase you "paid for OFP" and that gives you the right to any content made for it? rock.gif

Fortunatly that has already been covered in the O2 license agreement IIRC blush.gif

Ever consider it's just not ready?

what next? You're going to impose time restrictions on the making of addons? Do you think you have so much power to demand an addon be done if it was 95% 7 months ago?

The only solution: no addon maker show pics. I wonder how long the community would be going on without any visible progress. Not long.

Next you'll be laying claim to all the addons people make for themselves, becuase you "paid for OFP" and that gives you the right to any content made for it?  rock.gif

You talk complete crap! confused_o.gif

what next? You're going to impose time restrictions on the making of addons? Do you think you have so much power to demand an addon be done if it was 95% 7 months ago?

The only solution: no addon maker show pics. I wonder how long the community would be going on without any visible progress. Not long.

Next you'll be laying claim to all the addons people make for themselves, becuase you "paid for OFP" and that gives you the right to any content made for it? rock.gif

Why is he talking crap, it made pretty much sense to me rock.gif

sucks.gif

yeahthat.gif

To think this topic has "don`t flame" in the title and we are still getting this kind of crap.

whistle.gif

Becuase I can form reasoned arguments and manage to *somehow* stop myself from creating topics such as:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=46932

You need help.

Oh that's right, you're 16. Explains all. Though I think 12 would be easier to beleive. When you can contribute something, anything, usefull to the community you might get some respect.

in my opinion things look like this:

1. some addonmakers post only excelent pics just to tease ppl and gather all compliments, just to bust theyr own ego.

2. some addonmakers post pisc but dont release theyr stuff just becouse its realy not ready

a) theyr after quality they can never achieve

b) they have not much time for addonsmaking and thats why it is taking them so much time to finish something

so we have 1, 2a and 2b

ppl judnge mods/addonmakers

if mods keep everything in crazy secrecy, ppl shoot blind judging them, mostly for 1 or 2a when production time is realy long.

but after short moment of rational thinking... your never know whats in minds of those crazy addonmakers ;-)

no mater how we judge, lets keep our judgments for ourselfs.

becouse in case were wrong, mods will show us a finger and give us shit.

thats my little theory ;-)

thumbs-up.gif Hey keep cool jag mate, everyone can see who`s talking sense here without you risking your neck. wink_o.gif

I know only too well what getting dragged into flamewars leads to confused_o.gif In my case, legal action rofl.gif

We've had some fantasic passionate debate covering both sides of this hotley fought argument without resorting to flaming and then:

Quote[/b] ]You talk complete crap! confused_o.gif

No wonder these threads keep getting locked down

Look im just saying that it annoying when i search the news sites see a really sweet pic, people get all hyped about it only for it to never become available.

I admit that people spend ages on there addons, but another fact is this. I spent alot of time makeing MODing OFP spending time modeling textures all of it.

Then my PC crashed i lost everything. everything ive ever done all gone. i managed to salvage about 20% by downloading what i realeased and now at work on them.

And those that moan about me being 16 i think that ageism!!!!!!!!! crazy_o.gif

acordingly that makes you on the same level as a racist! confused_o.gif

in my opinion things look like this:

1. some addonmakers post only excelent pics just to tease ppl and gather all compliments, just to bust theyr own ego.

2. some addonmakers post pisc but dont release theyr stuff just becouse its realy not ready

a) theyr after quality they can never achieve

b) they have not much time for addonsmaking and thats why it is taking them so much time to finish something

I'm a '2b' guy. Too little time and too much work to do. But I haven't really shown any pics (only one on this board) so not many people know what I'm working on. I don't want to show many pics unless I'm sure I can release the addon within three months.

@Lukemax;

Don't worry, I won't judge you becauseof your age. As long as you act mature (that's 18+) I don't give a shit that your 16 rofl.gif

I`m a 2C guy. Similar to 2b but everytime i think i`m need a breakthrough ole Murphy gives me a mighty kick in the balls.

Are you trying to make yourself look like a victim?

Comparing me to a racist... fact is that some under 18's are imature, and say stupid things. You proved that.

Also there are a number of things you have to be 18+ to do, is THAT ageist? No.

To the more reasonable people in this forum:

Would it be teasing to create an addon for yourself and post pictures of it in the OFP CP thread purely as combat photos? If there was never any mention of release I don't think this would be wrong, becuase nothing was promised.

@lukemax

when you try to buy a beer and salesman says no, you call him ageist ?

think, why he doesnt want to sell you beer.

maybe becouse being under age is connected to some specific behaviors ? and thats why law disallows him to sell you alcohol

your behavior here is also haracteristic for some age group (ofcourse there are exceptions)...

Are you trying to make yourself look like a victim?

Comparing me to a racist... fact is that some under 18's are imature, and say stupid things. You proved that.

Also there are a number of things you have to be 18+ to do, is THAT ageist? No.

To the more reasonable people in this forum:

Would it be teasing to create an addon for yourself and post pictures of it in the OFP CP thread purely as combat photos? If there was never any mention of release I don't think this would be wrong, becuase nothing was promised.

Quote[/b] ]fact is that some under 18's are imature, and say stupid things.

The exact same thing applys to any age.. I know 5 year olds that are more mature than 25 year olds..

Quote[/b] ]Also there are a number of things you have to be 18+ to do, is THAT ageist? No.

It is, but it's generaly accepted as okay..

Is it just me or are quite a few of the addon makers posting in this thread going into high-and-mighty mode, i.e "You can't demand s*** from us" etc etc..

Maybe so, but remeber without your fans, your going to lose the people holding you up high if you piss them all of wink_o.gif

Again, is it just me or is this topic incredibly pointless.. icon_rolleyes.gif

(Don't poitn out the obvious whistle.gif )

- Ben

yeah ;-)

this topic is pointless baaa.gif

cool emoticons icon_mrgreen.gif

this one should fit here smile_o.gif

peace.gifpeace.gifpeace.gif

It was just supposed to be a joke?

Didnt realaize some people are so sad, in missing the my arguement

Is it just me or are quite a few of the addon makers posting in this thread going into high-and-mighty mode, i.e "You can't demand s*** from us" etc etc..

Maybe so, but remeber without your fans, your going to lose the people holding you up high if you piss them all of wink_o.gif

- Ben

Oh please let you be talking about me, that would make my day! rofl.gif

The day I take a "high and mighty" approach will be one where topics like these actually make any sence.

I don't assume to have "fans" and if by adhereing to the rules of normal society (what I make is mine and no one else's unless I decide to release it) I piss people off, these are not people I would want as "fans" anyway. Nor do I, or many other addon makers want to be "held up high".

As it seems mature, reasonable debate here is unacceptable to so many, and out of all the pointless, over used new smilies, the only one which describes this topic well is banghead.gif

Gentlemen, please, calm down!

I've started this topic because I was angry like hell, disappointed, mad and such. I thought this could be a place where we can be a bit more emotional than in mod-specific topics. But after a short time of thinking I got cool. I can understand that both sides (addonmakers and players) have their own problems, own disappointments, but this is starting to be a "you sucker!" "no, YOU da sucker!" thingy - lesson, take a look at my registration date, I'm here for a long time. Believe me, this community needs all of us - without addonmakers, this game would be a nice, old, finished software in our memories, but not a living, evoluting GAME - and without the fanatic (in a good way) gamer population our addons and expansions would be only useless pieces of art. Ask anybody in this forum: "Heard about BAS? Or FDF? ECP? CSLA? And a lot of others?" The biggest part will take a bow and say "yippeehey I love those guys and their stuff". And of course, these great names would be empty words if we wouldn't use them everytime when we launch OFP.

So, I won't tell you that Mr Addonmaker is right, but neither I say Mr Gamer is the oracle, so keep him satisfied at all cost. We're on the same sides! I'm not a moderator and not a preacher, but I'd like to tell ya that we're here to help each other, to have fun of creating/using/testing/playing with this fantastic game, not for hurting each other. So, gentlemen, please, calm down!

Dank yew, your

LizardX

I think you'll find that the majority of mods would love to release the next day to an eager audience, but there's a simple thing stopping that from happening.

ID software invented the phrase ' When will it be released? WHEN IT'S FINISHED.. smile_o.gif

As for releasing the odd 'teaseshot' (as they seem to be known as now), they're a way of making the community know that projects are very much still alive and just keeping interest up in that particular project.

If you know anything about films, interest is generated in the same way via a couple of teaser trailers, a couple of tv spots then the theatrical trailer and eventually the movie some time after.

For those that have been following the Falklands and Inv1944 (2 lengthy projects) I'm sure you'd understand that BOTH teams are very eager to release but want to perfect them before that happens!

smile_o.gif

- Ben

Oh please let you be talking about me, that would make my day!  rofl.gif

The day I take a "high and mighty" approach will be one where topics like these actually make any sence.

I don't assume to have "fans" and if by adhereing to the rules of normal society (what I make is mine and no one else's unless I decide to release it) I piss people off, these are not people I would want as "fans" anyway. Nor do I, or many other addon makers want to be "held up high".

As it seems mature, reasonable debate here is unacceptable to so many, and out of all the pointless, over used new smilies, the only one which describes this topic well is  banghead.gif

Phew at least you let me alone! wink_o.gif

I think theres no point it asking people when there Addons will be out otherwise its like banging ya head against the wall banghead.gif

Quote[/b] ]I think theres no point it asking people when there Addons will be out otherwise its like banging ya head against the wall

Ummmm.....

Quote[/b] ]Just to point something out

Hardrocks eutofighter

about like a year ago it was at 95% now??

Quote[/b] ]It was just supposed to be a joke?

Thats not a very funny joke, I think you should quit while your ahead.

EDIT: despite the topic title I dont think this thread is good for anything except inviting a flame war.

Quote[/b] ]I think theres no point it asking people when there Addons will be out otherwise its like banging ya head against the wall

Ummmm.....

Quote[/b] ]Just to point something out

Hardrocks eutofighter

about like a year ago it was at 95% now??

Quote[/b] ]It was just supposed to be a joke?

Thats not a very funny joke, I think you should quit while your ahead.

EDIT: despite the topic title I dont think this thread is good for anything except inviting a flame war.

moon.gif i was just pointing out the fact of hardrocks eurofighter not asking when its out moon.gif

Come on now guys, everyone has their reasons for not releasing something. To put it bluntly... no one here has the right to demand anything from anyone. People work their ass on in their free time to give you something that you will enjoy, and you bitch when you don't get it on time when something goes wrong?

It's just, sometimes this community amazes me with the maturity level when things go wrong, and other times it just disappoints me. If you don't like something, offer to help or do something better; don't complain about release dates. I haven't found one mod or addon worth downloading that the author involved made the addon to get praise... I think that's something that came out of left field and has for some reason stayed.

Since ECP has been mentioned in this thread, I'll address that. There are bugs... still. Would you rather have an ECP full of bugs, or wait for something that works as advertised. It's like buying a Porsche, but instead of getting everything checked out and waiting some you choose to not wait and get something that hardly runs. Trust me, we would love to get this thing out the door tonight, tommorow, next week, as soon as humanly possible. But seeing as we have a commitment to quality, we aren't going to release it until we are sure it is as bug-free as possible.

I'm almost positive all the mods and addons worth waiting for in the community feel exactly the same way.

Your sarcastic comments don't help, either. I don't mean to come off as angry in this post... but it's hard to understand why people think modmakers don't have anything better to do in their lives then make addons for other people. Go out, make an addon, and then see where we are coming from.