Sign in to follow this  
andersgrim

AAE for AA?

Can we expect the AAE concept to be issued for newer BIS projects such as Armed Assault?

If AAE is taken a step further and is maintained and supported from the very beginning of Armed Assaults release with an updated list of AAE compatible addons on the official Armed Assault website, this may help setting a standard for the addons from the very beginning.

AAE is a way too good concept to be flushed down the toilet!

We will definitely be looking at ways to make the addon/mod process easier for all concerned.

If we can do things to make creating addons easier we'll try to do it, if we can do things to make the finding and using of addons easier for the guy who downloads them then we'll try to do it. We have a number of plans which we will try to implement in the future smile_o.gif

I liked AAE but I never really used it.

What would be really, really cool is if we could customize our installer's look and feel to fit the theme of our mod.  If we want it to have a black template, with the MOD or addon logo with it.  I remember if I replaced the AAE image with one of my own, it was much cooler.

It would also be great if AAE for AA supported MOD Icons AND Mod folders.  Even our own installation icons would be alot cooler than the standard windows installer logo.

I think alot of customization for AAE will lead to people actually WANTING to use it, and make it a necessity for mods to support AAE.  It would also be used alot more often if AAE came with the actual game package.

Basically if my installer can look cool, I'll probably use it to give my addons/mods a more unique feel.

I don't know why I never used AAE.  I think it's just because all I needed to do with an addon, is drag and drop the PBO file into the ZIP, and that was that.

But with AAE it's more time consuming.

Overall, I think if we can give our installer a fancy - really cool look, I'd love to use it.

I remember the FDF mod installer, it was damn awsome, it had FDF blue black everywhere on it, they even had their own Icon. I tried to do something like this, but was way too complicated for me to try and figure out.

One thing I reallllly want in the AAE is to skip the uninstaller icon.. For a vehcile addon using it, it's very annoying to have to use an unistaller, just to remove 2 files..

To use mod folders would be very good too, if it was used properly.. I.e only mods using it, not just that single vehicle in a mod folder (OFP dir/Ben/Addons/SingleVehicleAndThatsit.pbo)

Maybe a set of guidlines for using it?

Something like

"A mod is defined as collection of files, including addons, replacing GUI etc etc, only these can use mod folders. Others must use starnard /Addons/ folder. Unless it is part of an existing addon pack"

Which gave me an idea.. An AAE-patcher smile_o.gif

- Ben

We will definitely be looking at ways to make the addon/mod process easier for all concerned.

If we can do things to make creating addons easier we'll try to do it, if we can do things to make the finding and using of addons easier for the guy who downloads them then we'll try to do it. We have a number of plans which we will try to implement in the future smile_o.gif

I wouldn't mind a full Mod Dev Kit with a proper installer and modfolder support. Unless it spammed my OFP dir when used for single addons or the like.

And ofcourse, we never get enough mission and addon related competitions and contest smile_o.gif

I doubt you have to pay cash or ship weird gizmos, but being allowed to place a "BIS approved mission editor of the month"-image/stamp on your website or in your forum signature would be a price big enough, atleast for me!

What I personally would like much more than an Installer-like software was an addon installer/manager. Addons needed to have certain extensions which are known by the installed addon managing software, in which you can install them, activate them and deactivate them, without modifying actual Windows Software registry entries.

Another problem was people didnt know what it was they could be installing on their computer. It would be great if a 'summary' of what's inside the installer could be shown

would we be getting new editing tools? tounge2.gif

(for instance O2 full or its comparison with Armed Assualt - extrude tool would be very useful)

(for instance O2 full or its comparison with Armed Assualt - extrude tool would be very useful)

or maybe a model UV unwrap tool biggrin_o.gif

You can do that now, there's a command line util that will convert a p3d into lithunwrap compatible meshes (1 for each lod). p2ms I think it's called.

You can do that now, there's a command line util that will convert a p3d into lithunwrap compatible meshes (1 for each lod). p2ms I think it's called.

This

- Ben

How about having addons in mod folders overwrite those in the BIS folders (i.e. Addons, Res\Addons). Then missions and mods will contain all the addons lt needs, but when that mod is activated, only the mods addons will be used. If you want to just play with an addon, you put it in th Addon folder and not launch a mod. This will take care of multiple versions. It would mean a large number of addons and multple versions but less conflicts and housekeeping.

--ben

hum, addons in mod folders do override addons earlier in the mod chain.

Personally, I doubt something that haven't worked out in the past, will work in the future. The reason is that most people, including me, simply hate installers.

... and you don't exactly need to be a rocket sciencist to install any addon/mod. tounge2.gif

However, an upgrade to O2 would be much appreaciated, especially with extrude function and better UV mapping tools.

I have no problems with packed files in rar or zip format. Even new OFP players only have to take a look in the readme, where you normaly find installation instructions.

The concept itself definately is good, but there always have been people wanting .rar files rather than some "uncontrollable" .exe.

Also i remeber the restrictions in AAE that made it impossible to change other content than files stored in /addons & /res/addons paths, making it useless for full conversations like FFUR or Y2K3.

Asking for support in that matter, unfortunately, lead to nowhere back when it was needed.

Maybe with more proper support and an installer that can be diversified for anyones needs this could have more success than it´s predecessor.