Sign in to follow this  
Footmunch

An-72 Coaler

Suggestions for possible next update (you probably mentioned you would fix some of these):

-Change the ejectspeed (its an [x,y,z] array) in the config so they don't fly up into the engines crazy_o.gif

-Instruments, I can't fly in first person without them sad_o.gif

-The rear door, it would be nice if it could open

-It feels like its too slow, maybe you could increase the speed just a little

-Some exhaust\damage scripts would be a nice touch

-I really do wan't a wrecked version of this, it would be cool

-*This is really needed, parachute supply drop script, perhaps an ammo/medical supply crate

-Also, not sure if it has any IRL, but some ECM's or some flares would be helpfull, but again only if ir really has them.

-Lastly, if you could find a way to make the para drop lights a little brighter because its kind of hard to tell if they are on sometimes.

A very big thank you for another great Footmunch addon. thumbs-up.gif

Suggestions for possible next update (you probably mentioned you would fix some of these):

-Change the ejectspeed (its an [x,y,z] array) in the config so they don't fly up into the engines  crazy_o.gif

-Instruments, I can't fly in first person without them  sad_o.gif

-The rear door, it would be nice if it could open

-It feels like its too slow, maybe you could increase the speed just a little

-Some exhaust\damage scripts would be a nice touch

-I really do wan't a wrecked version of this, it would be cool

-*This is really needed, parachute supply drop script, perhaps an ammo/medical supply crate

-Also, not sure if it has any IRL, but some ECM's or some flares would be helpfull, but again only if ir really has them.

-Lastly, if you could find a way to make the para drop lights a little brighter because its kind of hard to tell if they are on sometimes.

Kyle, if he makes it any faster, the parachuting troops will end up spread out much farther which is not a good thing when you are parachuting near a body of water or a coast and half your squad ends up going into the water.  

Increased speed would also likely mean ruining its low speed handling capability which is essential to the STOL simulation on this addon.  So overall not a good idea increasing speed when it doesn't really serve much of a purpose to do so and instead would just hurt its mission potential in OFP.  Right now it handles and flys just perfect I think.  A little faster speed wouldn't help it out run a fighter jet or a missile.

Also if you keep the accelleration key pressed down, you can get it going up to a pretty good speed.  

But good info on the eject speed config stuff.  I also agree that exhaust smoke from the engines would be a nice touch.

Ditto on the animated read door.  

A wrecked version would be nice for search and rescue missions as well.   But overall I'd be happy just to see animated side doors, fixed ejection direction, and an animated rear door.  The supply drop thing can actually be scripted into a mission, but yeah that would be a nice touch also.  But if he can just get the doors happening, I'd be a really happy camper.    

I should be releasing that mission for it soon also by the way.  Just need to make the overview and briefing for it as well as a short mission intro cutscene.  The mission is simple but it's fun and challenging to land on that little beach, pick up wounded, return them to the main Nogova airport, pick up some paratroopers, paradrop them near the LZ, and then return to base, get a ride in a jeep, and report to your commander.

In MP games I think it'll seriously rock if you have respawning teams in a team death match and use these planes for ferrying troops back to the front lines.  I think that Footmunch's AN-72 and the upcoming DKM Jaguar C130 will compliment each other VERY nicely for such a MP death match mission.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

i dont know if it´s possible but, could you make the troops eject on both sides in order like left, right, left, right, left, rigt and so on, instead of as it often is now like, left, left, left, right, left, right, right, left, right, right, right, both, left (if you get my point), would look much cooler when you paradrop troops smile_o.gif

now it´s just random wich side they eject from.

-Change the ejectspeed (its an [x,y,z] array) in the config so they don't fly up into the engines

Thanks. I'd forgotten about ejectSpeed.

Quote[/b] ]-Instruments, I can't fly in first person without them

They're in the process right now.

Quote[/b] ]-The rear door, it would be nice if it could open

The fully animated ramp/doors and supply crates will be put into

the full-cargo version that will follow.

Quote[/b] ]-It feels like its too slow, maybe you could increase the speed just a little

There's not a lot of 'wiggle-room' left, sadly. In order to get the

STOL working properly without more scripting, you have to

reduce top speed. I'll try an extra 10% or so, but it won't get

back up to the speed of the first version.

As Miles says, it's not the sort of plane to fly into a 'contested'

area - if it comes up against an F-18/16/15/14 or a modern SAM

it really should be dead meat. STAY LOW. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]-Some exhaust\damage scripts would be a nice touch

Will be added.

Quote[/b] ]-I really do wan't a wrecked version of this, it would be cool

Wreck-model is on the drawing board.

Quote[/b] ]-Also, not sure if it has any IRL, but some ECM's or some flares would be helpfull, but again only if ir really has them.

I'll put some flares on.

Quote[/b] ]-Lastly, if you could find a way to make the para drop lights a little brighter because its kind of hard to tell if they are on sometimes.

Noted. I'll play with the textures a bit.

Shadow - The order of left/right seems to be random, or

possibly attached to the order in which the troops mount the

plane. I'll see if anything can be done with the timing, or maybe

just setpos the troops.

Shadow - The order of left/right seems to be random, or

possibly attached to the order in which the troops mount the

plane. I'll see if anything can be done with the timing, or maybe

just setpos the troops.

Awsome, sounds great and I can't wait. As for the problem with the left/right thing, its related to the cargo position of the unit. Footmunch, I believe the solution would be to alternate the sides of the cargo positions in order, like what I mean is this:

Position: Side:

1 Left

2 Right

3 Left

4 Right

And so on, and remember the troops eject at same position where they get out when its on the ground, so thats a good way to test it, and I am pretty sure there is a way to make them alternating because the BAS blackhawks did it.

Ack...I hope its not sped up too much or the mission I'm making for it (where you have to land on a beach) won't work cuz its already a pretty tight landing. Oh...unless...

Hmm...Footmunch...what do you think about a "reverse thruster" script?? In real life most such planes do this when they land. I'm sure you've been on planes that go into reverse to slow down. It sounds like an afterburner roaring when they do it (you could just take the afterburner noise from one of your migs).

smile_o.gif

That would help solve the landing problem and thus give it an even shorter landing space requirement.

But honestly I think the speed is just perfect. Upping the speed won't really help anything in the game other then making it harder to land on short runways and worsening the low speed handling. If people want to fly for speed, they should be flying a fighter jet addon. I just want to drop paratroopers, supplies, and be able to do some balls out evac missions making tricky landings and take-offs in fields, beaches, and other relatively flat, obstacle free areas where no other cargo plane can land.

To me thats what makes this plane really fun to fly. I'll try to finish a beta of the mission when I get home and I'll PM you with a link this evening or tomorrow morning so you can see what I'm talking about.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Yeah, I guess thats probably best.  Here's the mission on the link below.  It still has some slight bugs that I'll fix up later on when I make a version using some of the new Russian airborne and Spetsnaz addons.  But overall it shouldn't be too bad.  I hope you like the intro movie...and yeah I know the end of the intro I need to fix on the timing to fade-out.

You can download the mission here:

http://www.idfsquad.com/downloads/milesteg/AN72BeachDrop.rar

If you all like it, I'll upload it to ofp.info after a tiny bit more editing on the ending part.   I might also change the music on the mission beginning to match the solemn mood set by the intro song... maybe see if I can find Vangelis's "Will of the Wind".

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Hey Footmunch as far as I know Aeroflot normally didn't flew with a redstar on their planes...click.

I also would prefer if the Aeroflot version could be found under "Civilian" and not on the "East" side because I would count Aeroflot more to the civilian part of aviation as to the military even if this has always been mixed up a little.

Greetz

Plage

At some distance the Aeroflot scheme seems to morph into the camouflage one. If I remember correctly VIT had one of the same problems with his AN-124. Dunno if I'm the only one with that problem smile_o.gif

Excellent aircraft though, it handles like a Formula-1 notworthy.gif

At some distance the Aeroflot scheme seems to morph into the camouflage one. If I remember correctly VIT had one of the same problems with his AN-124. Dunno if I'm the only one with that problem smile_o.gif

Excellent aircraft though, it handles like a Formula-1 notworthy.gif

GrimF-

Whoops. whistle.gif

My mistake not updating the paint scheme on the lower res

lods. Thanks for spotting that.

Miles -

Thanks for the mission. I'll check to see how the 'timing' holds up

with differing speeds.

But right now, I'm not inclined to change the top speed: any

increase that would be 'noticeable' would likely kill the low speed

handling and the AI's ability to miss the mountains.

One thing that's hard about drag-chutes and thrust reversers is

getting the AI to use them properly. The alternative is to make

them fully automatic so both AI and human get the benefit, but

then you have to turn them off again during taxi-ing. I'll try a

few things out, but no promises as yet...

Hey Footmunch as far as I know Aeroflot normally didn't flew with a redstar on their planes...click.

I also would prefer if the Aeroflot version could be found under "Civilian" and not on the "East" side because I would count Aeroflot more to the civilian part of aviation as to the military even if this has always been mixed up a little.

Greetz

Plage

My mistake Plage.

I got mixed up between a full Aeroflot version as you showed,

and the similiarly marked Russian Air Force markings:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/843634/M/

I'll stick with the two 'militarised' paintschemes for now (ie camo

and the colours shown in my link above), then maybe release a

commercial version (with comfortable seats, and so on) with the

Aeroflot paintscheme you showed. That would be on Civillian

side, agreed, and maybe include some other paint jobs like:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/845066/M/

Actually with the AI its not all that important that they use the thrust reversers since the Ai will only land on the main runways anyways.  So unless a island maker made his runway unusually small, the Ai doesn't really need to use the thrust reverser.   I think its fine just having it for the player to use if they want or need it. Oh also on a side note, what someone else said about the BMD was probably correct. After researching the plane a bit, I also agree that it most likely can not carry any armored vehicles. At most it could probably carry one or two UAZ jeeps. Just wanted to let you know before you started doing any such scripts.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

By the way Footmunch since I am eager for the next release to come out I could probably help you with any of the scripting such as the cargo and para cargo stuff and some of the other scripting, but only if you want the help if not yea I can see why but gah its been a while since I did any kind of scripting like that and I feel like scripting for some reason. biggrin_o.gif

Wow.... very cool thrust reversers....but might be difficult to add unless it was just a hidden proxy type thing rather then an animated section. That would probably be easier to implement.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

What's the best way to make AI paradrop out of this plane? What script should I use? Somebody help...

The plane already has a Paradrop script built into it. But, as yet i haven't found out how to get the aircraft to do the action for it. There are several paradrop scripts available on   OFPEC  but that is currently down.

Your best option would be to search the config/scripting forum, as paradropping is a big topic in there.

And while this thread is near the top, How are the projects commin along Footmunch?

Hey Foootmunch!, any news about the old A-26 Invader?

Sorry if I'm a Pain in the neck.

But I need this plane.

Sorry to sound like a bastard but has anyone tried to land it manually as ive tried a heck of a number of times and every time i either end up

1. overshooting due to lack of runway

2. slamming into the ground as the speed to keep the aircraft in the air is higher than that of the landing speed (and due to the "your moving too fast on the ground so youll blowup" factor comes into affect)

Is this a glitch of is it just me getting the wrong speed

Try turning on the Landing Autopilot and watching what the AI

does in terms of speed and rate of descent - IIRC it's quite good

at landing the plane. Flaps do help as well.

Once you touch down, push backwards (S key) to slow down

quicker.

Aye its just the turn for the ai taks them ages even iff you line them up for approach

but yeah ta for than ive managed to land it now turn around drop off troops and then bugger off again very nice biggrin_o.gif