Sign in to follow this  
diamondweapon

I'm going to Basic tomorrow

I'm leaving for BCT tomorrow at FT Jackson, and i was just wondering if anyone has any tips, or can tell me what it's like there

Thanks,

Diamondweapon

I went through Kapooka - ADF - nearly 2 years ago and really the best advice is to just shut up and do it and enjoy it. It sucks but you do some really good stuff. Apart from that just be a grey man and don't get noticed while you're training, it draws heat. Have a good one!

Once you get out of the Reception Battalion, everything gets better and goes faster. Reception was the absolute worst - sitting on your ass for two weeks wondering why you made the huge mistake of joining the Army.

Once you actually get to your training unit you'll have fun and be so busy that it'll be done before you know it.

And when you finally do get deployed to Iraq, remember to drink lots and lots of water. wink_o.gif

What's your MOS?

Heres a tip for ya. Do what your told the first time and for the good of your soul dont make the DIs repeat themselves.

And staying low includes any mail you might recieve.

My brother managed to go through basic without any extra duties and not being noticed by the DI's. That is until the last two weeks, when my Dad wrote a letter and happily added his "Col." title to the front of his name. The sentence "Whos the colonel's boy?" started the worst two weeks of his life.

I still chuckle thinking about it though.

Im going to the Air Force Academy. Gotta report june 30. Ive been running to get ready  tounge_o.gif

Edit: just realized you probably wont be reading this seeing as how the DI's probably wont let you take a laptop into basic tounge_o.gif

VICTOR-

If you get this message, talk to Shay Brantigan (he's a second-year guy) and say Jim sez hi.

-Thanks

Oh, and basic should be okay. Hooah army.

Remember this!

10% Physical!

90% Mental!

They will tear you down.

But then build you up!

Then you will be a, "Lean Mean Fighting Machine!"

(So they say!) LOL!

Good Luck!

And "Thank You," for you service!

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

I'm leaving for BCT tomorrow at FT Jackson, and i was just wondering if anyone has any tips, or can tell me what it's like there

Thanks,

Diamondweapon

Never quit, and never, ever say that you can't do something.

Actually some Drill Sgt's get a BIG HARD ON if you yell back at them, "YOU CAN'T SMOKE ME DRILL SGT!!!".... well at least later on in the training towards the end of basic. But generally, if you are gung-ho, they LOVE you. In Basic Training at Ft. Leanordwood back in 93/94 it was still pretty damn tough and the drill Sgt's passed out the smokings fairly evenly. Only in AIT was I able to lay low and bypass the worst of the smokings (which were even more savage then in basic). But in general I had a great time in Basic. My Basic was much funner then AIT. I LOVED the weapons training and FTX!!!

Gas chamber and long road marches (especially if you were a road gaurd) sucked major ass. But other then that it was a blast.

Only AIT sucked nuts but AIT all depends on where you get stationed at. I stayed at Ft Leanordwood (Ft Lost In The Woods) and went thru a grueling AIT that felt like prison.

Delta 58 trans (or cell block D as we called it).

AIT classes were very good and very professional, but back at the barracks, the Drill Sgt's were insane and 10x more brutal then in basic. I have not-so fond memories of running up and down space mountain 3 times because people kept falling out of formation. (Space Mnt. is a big ass hill in the Ozarks with a road that goes 2 & 1/2 miles straight up at a very steep angle). Not fun. But the one time when our entire platoon started yelling at the senior drill Sgt. "You can't smoke me" he got this HUGE smile on his face and he smoked us, but we all took it and afterwards he was way cooler with us cuz he knew he had done his job.

At any rate, Basic Training was nothing. I didn't celebrate the graduation. It was AIT graduation that I celebrated even though there was no formal graduation. Just drank a bunch of contraband beer with buddies and had the biggest shit-eating grin possible on my face when my bus left Ft. Lost in the Wood's main gate bound for the St.Louis airport.

But as for Ft. Jackson, that place is alot more laid back. I felt genuine pitty for the guys from Ft. Jackson who came to Ft. Leanordwood for AIT training. They were not as disciplined and got enough smoking to make up for it. Poor guys were out getting smoked brutally every evening to total muscle failure. Thats where you get smoked so bad you are left on the ground quivering and unable to continue the exercises cuz you can't get up. It's all good stuff in hindsight, but at the time it was torture.

lol

Ah...the memories.

smile_o.gif

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

@breaker eh ill try but I doubt ill have time to do much of anything for at least the first half of the year

I think he's at BCT now and won't be able to read this anymore smile_o.gif