Sign in to follow this  
G-Capo

Artillery? Yes or No

I was wondering if ArAs will have artillary,I'am not talking about OFP's mortar that was attached to the barrel,I'am talking about the big 155mm Paladins and MLRS,And there Russian counter parts such as the Smerch and the 152mm Russian arty piece.

Bf42 had artillary so why can't ArAs?

Your opinions please smile_o.gif

I was wondering if ArAs will have artillary,I'am not talking about OFP's mortar that was attached to the barrel,I'am talking about the big 155mm Paladins and MLRS,And there Russian counter parts such as the Smerch and the 152mm Russian arty piece.

Bf42 had artillary so why can't ArAs?

Your opinions please  smile_o.gif

Because OFP/ArAs is not BF42 smile_o.gif

Also yes I hope artillary get's included in this release, but fear not we as community stand strong and could easly import the addons from OFP1 that we got right now into ArAs.

So basicly you'll get your artillary... Maybe from BIS or maybe not but you will get it.

smile_o.gif

Well there certainly won't be any artillary, and there won't be any VSB1 functions either. tounge_o.gif

I hope there is artillary biggrin_o.gif .

I just love being in the rear lines letting loose on a 155mm Howitzer hitting targets 4 cities from me.

We already have Artillery in OFP with CoC's UA, so I can't see that changing to much for ArAs unless CoC have no plans to at least try and implement it in ArAs?

Quote[/b] ]and there won't be any VSB1 functions either.

I hope there will be some new functions, seen as one quote suggested ArAs can be used as test bed for Addon makers to prep for OFP2.

There were some new basic functions I did hope for, that VBS also use, things like SetPos, Anim events and Trigger creation. But other things offered up by VBS, like the firing from moving vehicles would be acceptable if someone had just scripted them from OFP, but pretty poor if offered by a proffesional game making company.

rock.gif

Just as a note here: it is spelled "artillery" in English, and it's not "VSB1" either, it's "VBS1"...

While I understand most people here don't have English as their mother tongue, it is important to spell what you so desire correctly. smile_o.gif

Imagine being in love with a girl named Mary and writing to her "Dear Merry" tounge_o.gif

Yes please on the artillery please.

Especially the soviet laser guided stuff.

They have some pretty advanced munitions, spotter missions, or even hunt the spotter missions would be fun.

plus the barrage patterns the explosions make viewed from an overlook could be smart.

The current OFP platform is capable of artillery; the first artillery script for OFP 1.X was written within the first few months of the game's existence, so I don't see why AA wouldn't have it in some form.

Balance is another issue. Someone mentioned laser-guided artillery like the Krasnopol or the Copperhead. Those are second-generation artillery shells, and 2G shells are the ones that make you say "wow" when you see them in use.

Currently, they're making 3G stuff, like the 155mm SADARM, the 120mm STRIX, BATS, and so on. 3G shells are the ones that make you say "Holy sh**" when you see them in use.

So with hi-tech artillery, you get hi-tech kills. Heck, even with an MLRS launcher, you can wipe out a lot of real estate. If you make the system simple, like BF42's, you're gonna have a lot of guns, and very few targets. So it's a resource that has to be used sparingly.

A few 60mm and 81mm mortars would be cool too.

Yes, but not very accurate. So stray arty rounds can go into your tank etc.

Lol..Thats was a bit harsh, not everyone can touch type. For me, it’s more like, seek and stab smile_o.gif

Would you really like artillery like in bf1942? If you want artillery like that just add eventhandlers to the tanks slowing the shells to 10-20% of theire normal speed. tounge_o.gif

I think the CoC artillery will do until OFP2, its actually very good. smile_o.gif

We just need some great explosion effects that kick up mud etc. I'm hoping ECP will deliver biggrin_o.gif

Artillery would make the game virtually unplayable if there aren't folds in the terrain, trenches, foxholes and shellholes to hide in. If you are going to implement one, you need to implement the other.

This problem could be solved if they allowed us to create terrain variations down to the square meter instead of the monster size differences that are allowed in the current game.

Arty is the "King of Battle" for a reason: it's the number one killer on the conventional battlefeild. I think artillery should have a role in ArAs, and OFP has shown us serveral different ways to implement it. I've enjoyed CoC's UA system, Snyper's SP/MP Support Pack, as well as WGLs mortars. But I believe game play with artillery should be similar to the arty in the GroupLink scripts.

With the GroupLink scripts, enemy officer units in contact are likely to call fire on your last known position. It brings a new pace to OFP when done right because you have to learn to quickly move off the objective after you assualt thru or conduct an ambush.

~TA-50

I agree. Fully implemented artillery is something that most current OFP users are strongly expecting within ArAs.

A battlefield without artillery is a bit like an aquarium without fishes sad_o.gif

Would you really like artillery like in bf1942? If you want artillery like that just add eventhandlers to the tanks slowing the shells to 10-20% of theire normal speed. tounge_o.gif

I think the CoC artillery will do until OFP2, its actually very good.  smile_o.gif

I was just using arty on Bf42,Since Bf42 is an arcade game and ArAs is a military simulator.

Artillary in ArAs is a must...As a forum member mentioned it would be like an aquarium with out fish.

Guest Ti0n3r

A battlefield without artillery would be like christmas without snow.

But I doubt that it will happen in ArAs. sad_o.gif

Artillery is my favourite part in any military game. OFP being the most important of course. So I can't wait for the version we might see in ArAs or ArAs 2! smile_o.gif

Lets hope the arty isn't too accurate, because it would be silly if every round landed on the same spot if you didn't change the trajectory.

Would be good to 'prepare' a city or region for a full scale assault. As the the soldiers are armed, it's an armed assault wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Lets hope the arty isn't too accurate, because it would be silly if every round landed on the same spot if you didn't change the trajectory.

Would be good to 'prepare' a city or region for a full scale assault. As the the soldiers are armed, it's an armed assault  wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

If you intent to free a town from enemy insurgents while there is civilian activity in the area.. i wouldn't use artillery very much.

't spijt me, Necromancer, but many modern militaries would disagree. I'd rather not enter a political debate on it, but for a recent use, see:

http://www.defendamerica.mil/articles/nov2004/a111804c.html

You can find similar stories every single time a modern army performs an action such as the one you describe -- only these days they're a little more accurate.

In any case, mortars are ideal for urban operations

One particular story that interested me (link no longer active sad_o.gif), was in Bosnia. The Commander invited the waring factions to a tour round the base, and a demonstration of the accuracy and responce times of their mortar battery. Needless to say, there was not much trouble in his neck of the woods.

Just thought it was a good example of the changing face of modern warfare smile_o.gif

i´m for artillery ! this make the online play much complex. and , HAPY BIRTHDAY G-CAPO! wink_o.gif

Would be good to 'prepare' a city or region for a full scale assault. As the the soldiers are armed, it's an armed assault  wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

If you intent to free a town from enemy insurgents while there is civilian activity in the area.. i wouldn't use artillery very much.

hmmmm, you have a point. Ok, if theres a field base or some concentrated group of enemies in a field spotted by my spy plane biggrin_o.gif

i´m for artillery ! this make the online play much complex.    and , HAPY BIRTHDAY G-CAPO!  wink_o.gif

Thank you how did you know? biggrin_o.gif .

Arty is a must BTW