Sign in to follow this  
Stealth3

BF2 Criticism and Thoughts

dloaded the Demo, played it for less than an hour and deleted the whole affair, good ridance i say, its pure crap.

I agree that BIS has in hindsight done a remarkable job. Sure, there were the Oxygen blunders and a bit of antagonstic stuff revolving around that, but it was sorted out and now all these years later, when most games have died, OFP is still thriving. I still have friends who buy the OFP GOTY pack after seeing me playing all the excellent mods or after me sending them screenshot pics.

So I just hope that BIS looks at what EA is screwing up on and learns...and they don't start just focusing on the bottom line and screwing customers in every possible way.

IF BIS took the EA route, I think they would lose alot of customers and gradually the quality of their FPS games would diminish if they focused on just marketing to the bigger CounterStrike type market of players.

It would be very sad.

But fortunately they still seem to be doing the right things and everyone so far seems pretty happy with how BIS is handling OFP2. Anyhoo... if EA continues jerking BF2 players around, thats ok, cuz that just means more of them migrating to OFP2 when it comes out.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Guest The Cobra

Seems to be crap.

The fact that you can destroy an M1A2 with a handgrenade is ridicolous (not sure if I spelled that right).

Shame on DICE!

Save the money for Armed Assault or OFP2...

BIS, just like any other game developer, depends on the main stream gamer to a great extent. Sure OFP has a great and loyal community but this crowd alone doesnt guarantee break-even of the development costs.

I wonder if BIS has ever made the calculation of how many copies they have to sell more for each additional day working on the game.

And then they have to initiate the marketing avalanche weeks before the game is being released. hard to tell whether they will be ready in time.

If not the marketing bubble will pop without effect. So the game actually MUST be released when attention is there, even if it is fully bugged.

I dont know how strategical the gaming industry has become yet. But in other sectors it is definetly as complicated as that.

The difference is. EA would have the power to develop interesting experimental games with smaller risks of failure.

BIS is developing such a game and doesnt realy have any power at all!

biggrin_o.gif

Seems to be crap.

The fact that you can destroy an M1A2 with a handgrenade is ridicolous (not sure if I spelled that right).

Shame on DICE!

Save the money for Armed Assault or OFP2...

well even in the original OFP you can destroy an M1A2 with grenades!  smile_o.gif

yeah but well.. it takes like 30 of them or even more

maybe I should finally try BF just for the laughs biggrin_o.gif

*EDIT* Got the demo of 1942. Here goes...

*EDIT2* And now I'm even more convinced - BS

I downloaded the demo as well and... well I wasn't too impressed. Graphics are great and all but the playability is somewhat unpolished and the realism meter is indicating 0 in this game.

Well, I've been playing the demo on and off with some mates of mine, and I must say I kinda like it. wow_o.gif

Yes it bothers me when I nail an Abrams' from behin right under the turret two times and it keeps on trucking. Yes it bothers me when people suicide with a helo, clear a flag zone with the resulting explosion, and get revived by the medic who parachuted out beforehand. And why do those infidel pig-dogs still stand after an SVD round to the head anyway? tounge_o.gif

But : make a squad with some friends, use teamspeak to issue commands, spawn at your squad commander, get proper loadouts (support + medic + assault is nice) and decimate the opposition in a well-organised manner, I believe the 'in' term is 'pwnage'. tounge_o.gif

Multiple gun positions in vehicles, a decent command interface, teamwork is very much encouraged/forced, all in all it's quite playable. Of course, much of the strategy and teamwork is as of yet lost on the rambo people playing now, but there are some servers where you see a good commander move squads to hotspots, mine key areas and shell the hell out of an enemy encampment.

Afterthought :

OFP : feels like real war

BF2 : feels like latest hollywood war movie

Looking forward to playing this in a well organised manner sometime soon though, should improve the fun a whole lot.

I honestly prefer OFP's graphics to this games' graphics. crazy_o.gif

OFP still rulzz compared to this. wink_o.gif

Yes it bothers me when people suicide with a helo, clear a flag zone with the resulting explosion, and get revived by the medic who parachuted out beforehand.

ok now that's ridiculous crazy_o.gif

that is pretty unrealistic since the explosion of a chopper / plane can never clear a camp. The impact is too little.

If you are a pilot and you kamikaze into a camp then I doubt you can be revived. I often played medic and were never able to locate a crashed pilot or the rest of the crew. Maybe he jumped out shortly before the impact.

Besides, if the medic is supposed to jump out beforehand then he can A) jump near the enemy base... in such a case he is usually shot dead right away.

Or B) he can jump far away from enemy base but then he wont be able to arrive at the site of the accident in time. AND he would have to search for the pilot first!

So your story sounds interesting but is hardly possible!

Anyone figured out how to enable the larger area? 32 bots in a 16 player area gets cramped yay.gif

Anyone figured out how to enable the larger area? 32 bots in a 16 player area gets cramped  yay.gif

Bah, my computer is too slow to go past anything but 20. sad_o.gif

Isn't what you are talking about obviously illegal? Asking for demo modifications which EA have forbidden.

that is pretty unrealistic since the explosion of a chopper / plane can never clear a camp. The impact is too little.

If you are a pilot and you kamikaze into a camp then I doubt you can be revived. I often played medic and were never able to locate a crashed pilot or the rest of the crew. Maybe he jumped out shortly before the impact.

Besides, if the medic is supposed to jump out beforehand then he can A) jump near the enemy base... in such a case he is usually shot dead right away.

Or B) he can jump far away from enemy base but then he wont be able to arrive at the site of the accident in time. AND he would have to search for the pilot first!

So your story sounds interesting but is hardly possible!

how about: the medic jumps off a bit to the side of the target area, the pilot crashes the chopper and ejects a bit before the impact, the medic lands near the base.

imo a chopper comes down a bit faster than a parachute, actually a lot faster

I can understand people slamming the game if there are bugs and so on, but complaining that it is not realistic is kind of strange.

Strange couse the BF series obviously never have been and most likely never will be about realism.

Its and arcade crowd pleaser and it does its job decently according to my views on the demo.

If a BF player would slam OPF because it is not arcade like it is quite obvious that to people on this board he would be severly mistaken and rightfully so since it is realism and not arcade that is the core of OPF.

Played it for maybe half an hour today. I just don't understand how people can enjoy this. Maybe I'm getting to old, sure the graphics are nice and the game is very well presented, but the actual gameplay is lacking.

Should have said Outpost instead of base, he crashed right near the flag at the construction site. I was AT'ing with a buddy as medic who was near me to heal me, a UH60 crashes down, explodes, kills us, the pilot is in the sitting animation above the wreck (so he probably did bail out at the last second), falls off and is promptly revived by a medic.

Maybe the medic didn't bail out first, but this was seemingly a bit too well orchestrated to be coincidence :x

Played it for maybe half an hour today. I just don't understand how people can enjoy this. Maybe I'm getting to old, sure the graphics are nice and the game is very well presented, but the actual gameplay is lacking.

I find it enjoyable. Gameplay is something I'll look for in other games. Realism is something I love, but in some cases the escape is quite often a refreshing thing.

OFP, however, is still the god of my computer. No game has ever stayed so long and so often used as OFP.

It is the first game on my computer, and the last that will ever come off. coop.gif

The teamwork is amazing in this game if you play with the right people, luckily i play on goon only servers so everyone has a mic and uses VOIP, the cammd structure is pretty cool and the point allocation is very teamwork orientated and it seems to force teamwork on you which i like, yes it's not realistic but tbh i don't want it to be it Hollwood war movie style and it fits perfectly with memorable moments commin think and fast with medics running a gauntlet of fire to save my crippled ass covering me, revives me and as we try to get back into cover he gets wasted, wuickly trading kit i revive him using his paddles and we high tail it out of there. 2 -3 seconds arty round pound in and we realise we just hit a massive concentration of MEC forces. It's a great game but indeed it's no OFP but i don't want it to be, it's chalk and cheese but they do compliment each other depending on the mood i'm in.

Quote[/b] ]fast with medics running a gauntlet of fire to save my crippled ass covering me, revives me and as we try to get back into cover he gets wasted, wuickly trading kit i revive him using his paddles

we crippled an entire enemy squad with that strategy!

Quote[/b] ]fast with medics running a gauntlet of fire to save my crippled ass covering me, revives me and as we try to get back into cover he gets wasted, wuickly trading kit i revive him using his paddles

we crippled an entire enemy squad with that strategy!

it's extrmely hollwood and thats what i love.