Sign in to follow this  
Stealth3

BF2 Criticism and Thoughts

I have been a BF fan since 1942 came out. I am very disappointed that there will be no coop support. I have a ton of military based games and coop is all I play. I can't imagine what these game developers are thinking. I can honestly say that I will not be buying BF2 since there is no coop support. That is the only reason. I love OFP, but I agree with some of you above and I don't damn games all to hell because they aren't the most realistic game on the market. In my opinion, OFP is still the most realistic combat SIM out there. SIM being the key word. For me, games like Joint Ops, BF, etc. are ARCADE combat games, not SIMs. I really enjoy playing them, but OFP will always be my #1 choice.

Monty

It looks really arcady, but what the hell, I will give it a go.

I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote on a HL2 forum about my opinion of BF2 vs OFP:

Quote[/b] ]The Battlefield series was/is/always will ride on OFP coattails and is inferior to the OFP engine. Ofp's community is more mature and connected than the BF kiddies. OFP has emensly larger maps than BF and is more realistic. It can actually state that in the game, it is one shot one kill, where one is as vulnerable as the next. I tried Battlefield, and I was disgusted with it's inaccuracies and bunny hopping "l33t sp34king" 11 year olds.

I'm not bought out by graphics. Sure, they look good, but I know that very few people will have those results. OFP's screenshots and addons are already more realistic than BF2. Such addons that come to mind are BAS's Deltas and Suchey's MARPAT marines and Naval Infantry.

Battlefield has only multiplayer going for it, and even that is "meh"; you will rarely see a group of gamers in MP helping eachother, like seen in the trailers. Instead, you will have a pilot crashing into a tower, a tanker tking an entire squad and a footsoldier,calling everyone "f'n h4x0rzz!111". Battlefield Single Player is a joke, lets not forget that. In OFP however, there is many unique gaming types, unlike BF, which has few game types, all being a re-hash of a simple C&H.(capture and hold)

OFP has an interesting storyline, all 3 sides are portrayed as humans with fears and limitations. It was the first game where both armies were capable of winning and losing. In contrast to "AMG USA USA!111", Nato(your side) looses several battles. Rarely games portray the loosing side of a battle.

OFP has a negative view on war, while BF has a "gung ho" kind of attitude.

Before a mission began, a journal entry written by the character was given, sometimes giving personal information that deepens character. BF2's story, if you can call it that, seems more like a C&C:Generals FPS.(Why is America fighting China?! IN THE MIDDLE EAST?!??)

So in conclusion:

BF:Arcadey POS

OFP:Realistic War Sim

As you can see, I was very rilled up at the time. tounge_o.gif

I liked forgotten hope smile_o.gif

I used to play it alot. Bu I kinda lost touch with the whole World War 2 theme after awhile. Didn't really interest me.

Well yea, thats why I dont play it anymore. It was still a good mod though.

people saying that BF is realistic should be shot

people sayong that BF is shit because it is not realistic should be shot aswell, after all

its a game, its supposed to be fun, and alot of people agree with me when i say BF is  tounge_o.gif

EDIT: dont mind the spelling tounge_o.gif

people sayong that BF is shit because it is not realistic should be shot aswell,

Indeed it's like ordering strawberry ice cream and expecting chocolate.

The best things about the BF series are a) running over people with a jeep b) blockading your team's bridges with a tank, and c) jumping in the air and spinning your mouse as fast as you can

Seriously, that's the most fun I've ever had with these games.

I've never seen C actually work, as much as people whine about it. A soldier jumping into the air and spinning around with any weapon will acheive nothing. In fact, he just gave me an opportunity to hit him with everything I have.

Really, I've never seen that work....anywhere. Never in small rooms, and most certainly never in the streets or fields.

@The Frenchman - nice passionate well thought through rant there

My (limited) knowledge of BF is that it was designed to be fun fun fun. [OFP is also fun but I prefer it as it creates a whole many more emotions too]. Anyway, it seems like BF goes for balance over realism, and in its own (multiplayer) way, fair enough. We go for realism and hence attracts a more mature crowd. In a way it is much more up to the OFP mission designer to create balance or realism without relying too much on just damage values etc.

OT: Played Rats Nest single mission from resistance and had a great time, can't believe I've overlooked this till now.

hell there's no question.... ofp is more realistic. ARAS is going to spank it. and OFP2 is gonna blow BF2 away.

having said that i must also say i have already bought BF2 and look forward to playing it.

Why? cause i like squad based combat. i got introduced to the idea of joining a squad while playing Joint Ops and i regularly take part in tourney's even while JO dies a death through neglect by its developer.

the next step as far as squad goes if BF2. teamwork transforms a game from good to great.

its not much money (no where near VSB) and worth it.

Not defending BF2. i think it would be a hell of a lot better if it featured 100% realism (or as close to it as possible in a damn computer game).

LOL I saw bf 1942 put as the most realisic game. ofp was like at 4. I about shat myself when I saw then. I dont care about the realism, because its a bf game, as long as I can take some one out with a sniper head shot im all set.

i would say the BF engine based games are...........well........games...........but i would NEVER going to agree that it is realistic/mind blowing/whatever thing that makes you really use your brain(which makes it a good game as you are infact dont really need to use your brain at all, but of cause, you still need it to keep you alive)

lowclass dumb fun would be the most suitable mark for it(hell i wont feel that stupid when i watch Kung Fu Hastle) blues.gif

The demo was supposed to be on gamespot tonight, guess what, its not there, lots of angry, aggressive 14-year olds letting EA know what they think of them.

Quote[/b] ]

...U.S. Military was using the Battlefield 2 beta as source material to aid in the training of Iraqi's new liberated security forces...

ghostface.gif

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/624/624196p1.html?fromint=1

Quote[/b] ]PlanetFargo appears every Friday on GameSpy.com, and it's strictly parody! He didn't actually go to the Middle East, so don't write him confusing and angry emails. Fargo also writes Flintlocke's Guide to Azeroth, a daily World of Warcraft comic. Mail Fargo! Then visit the PlanetFargo Archives or the really old PlanetFargo Archives for more.

Hmm i dunno I personally found BF1942 and BFV pretty enjoyable, just pure fun. Obviously noone is playing with it for the realism. Its not like the makers are just dumb dont know how to make real things, its just never ment to be realistic. It was made to be fun and pretty, and its exactly what it is. I dont know why people compare BF series with OFP? They are in completely different game sectors. For starters OFP is still a single player game above anything else.

Just my 2 cents. I'll buy it.

Just FYI to those interested, heard Demo is coming out tomarrow (friday)

Not interested but if it gives me a chances to beat up on some BF wankers I'll try it. biggrin_o.gif

Doesn't support GeForce 4 series cards.. sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Minimum Specification:

CPU: 1.7 GHz

RAM: 512 MB

Video Card: nVidia GeForce FX 5700, ATI Radeon 8500 or ATI Radeon 9500 with 128 MB of RAM

Recommended Specification:

CPU: 2.4 GHz

RAM: 1 GB

Video Card with at least 256 MB of RAM

Video Cards

Battlefield 2 only supports the following video cards:

Radeon X700 (PCI-E)

Radeon X600 (PCI-E)

GeForce 6600 (PCI-E)

GeForce PCX 5900 (PCI-Ee)

GeForce 5800 Series (AGP)

ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition

ATI Radeon X800 PRO

ATI Radeon 9800 Series

ATI Radeon 9600 Series

ATI Radeon 9550 (RV350LX)

ATI Radeon 9500 / 9700 Series

ATI Radeon 8500 Series

ATI Radeon X300 Series

nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra

nVidia GeForce 6800 GT

nVidia GeForce 6800

nVidia GeForce FX 5950 Series

nVidia GeForce FX 5900 Series

But, Radeon 8500 series...damn those pixel shaders

I got it.. it's actually pretty fun. Not realistic by any stretch, but great for some instant online killin'. Like DoD or CSS.

I've tried only M4 Sopmod and it is there. The aimpoint I mean and it is fucked up "tears of the sun" style. crazy_o.gif

It has pretty nice red-dot glow.

It runs smooth on my system: 2,8HT 1GB DDR 400, 9800 PRO on highest res (1280x960) crazy_o.gif and medium details (background pretty heavy apps running)

If I spen more that 5 min on it I let you know more + screens. wink_o.gif