Sign in to follow this  
Acecombat

Salang Island by TWM Mod

Quite a good island released by the TWM mod , its terrains topography and town setup needs working on though they are quite empty and barren for now. The best part about it is the building pack that comes with it , it has some much needed new stuff.

salang01th.jpg

salang02th.jpg

salang03th.jpg

salang04th.jpg

D/ld @ Opflash.org

i had a first spin on the island by helicopter and these are my first observations:

Pro:

the new buildings are very well made, i like the looks and would like to see these used on more african/desert themed maps

the usage of rocks and trees to fill the else barren terrain is very nice, i specially like the large fields of scattered rocks on the base of mountains

the terrain has interesting elevations, and the addonmaker made good use of the slopes with the placement of roads and bridges

the map covers terrain from sealevel up to snowy mountain ridges surounded by desert

enough towns for mission maker needs

Con/Suggestions:

the usage of "oasis" kind of green fields should be rearanged to lower grounds, the roots of the vegetation will only find water on low grounds or close to "wadis" (dry river beds that lead down the mountains, these are filled with the rainwater falling in the mountains during winter) this suggestion applies specially to the "greenfields" on sandy mountains/hills (farmland watered by humans is of course an exception to the rule)

it just seems that every mountain on the map has a "round" top, i dont know how to describe it better, it seems just a little unnatural, maybe they should be a little broader, and some mountains could have more of an "edge" to it or maybe make different round tops, since they all seem to be of the same size, a very good example for natural desert mountains you can find on the desert map from FDF mod (Al Maldajah)

the towns/villages could use some more of the new buildings, and maybe some more arab/desert themed ones, and maybe consider using mapfact buildings for the military camps and replace some of the BIS buildings (some of them appear missplaced by the european looks, or just dont really fit the island in my opinion)

i noticed some of the buildings in military camps are cramped togeter, one is placed right to the next one, it seemed a little strange

please dont take these observations wrong, i dont want to critizise your work, but give you honest suggestions/feedback, because i think your map has good potential which could be farther improved smile_o.gif

Hi, AMAZING; those new buildings look great, almost as good as in the AAO, with the right addon units the areas look like almost real (ex: USMCBeta3, MT-LB's, BTR-T's, MP_5T Trucks, etc.. etc..) the roofs of the buildings are walkables; the AI go to the marked zone when u tell 'em to go, i like a lot this island; it's very fanzy. What i don't like is the streetlamps; 5 streetlamps enlighting a entire small city?, i'll had preffered to see it with some AGS/WX3 buildings and the mapfact street lamps plus some of they'r buildings & maybe some of those barrels & the garage in the MT-LB's 2.2 pack; but i like a lot this island, it's great. Let's cu

biggrin_o.gif working the other way arround?

Anyway is Goon aware of this pack? rock.gif

downloading now.... great! is it me or top notch addons coming out within the last couple days?rock.gif mmhmm..

Beautiful - my favourite custom map. Good job!

It strangely reminds me of the hal life 2 level with the buggy. blues.gif

Hi, afther fly arround with some choppers & planes, drive arround with tanks, cars, pickups & buggys plus walk some metters and do some quick fire fights againist RNI & EDGE Guerrilla units, i've discovered some bugs; the tipical shit... some roads don't fit at the 100%, some buildings clip through walls or are a bit out of place, that of that the ladders of the buildings are not climbable; that u can't park your UH1-N in most of the roofs without that it begins to jump side by side until explode or destroy 1St the building and afther a while of clip through the remains, then; your helo explodes sending all those lazys in the cargo to the hell with famous personalityes like... Ronald MC Reagan, Kennedy, Musolini, Hitler and "THAT" kind of scum... but; all the roofs are walkable. I've also found (this is the "important" part) that there'r some bad placed, texture bugs, mismapped, bad mapped or what ******' ever textures that are noticeable using the tactical view, driving, flying or in some case; walking. They'r in the next coodinates:

JD72 FE95 AA86

JD40 EC68 AA87

GI38 BJ43 (WOW!!! BJ 43!!! WOOOW!!!) tjo...! i continue... & AA40.

I haven't seen or found anyother bug or whatever that don't B those; the rest i think that's great. Let's cu

Quote[/b] ]your helo explodes sending all those lazys in the cargo to the hell with famous personalityes like... Ronald MC Reagan, Kennedy, Musolini, Hitler and "THAT" kind of scum

What the...?

I've never heard a critisism put quite that way before. rock.gif

Nice island smile_o.gif

One problem I noticed is that the bridge far south on the river does not link properly with the road. Theres the road, then a 1m, steep hill, the the bridge, then the same on the other side. Its small, but I couldn't get the AI to driver across it without smashing up their car in the process. rock.gif

Apart from that its great biggrin_o.gif

Awsome! wow_o.gif

A bit buggy with trees and building right in the middle of the road and at the 2nd town on the east side of the river the mosque is in the ground.

Beautiful landscape by the way!

I believe this would be a good map for dynamic campaigns wink_o.gif

Grade 10/10 from me.