Sign in to follow this  
TA-50

Squad Control

I've just played a demo of Brothers in Arms.  That had a pretty good squad control funtion, controlled only with the right button (and shift to switch to the second fire team).  

Very simple but very efective, still felt like your in command and didn't detract from the game while i was looking around my keyboard for the right units.

...(f2,f4,f8...{!get blown up by T80!}...ever happen to any one else?)...

Yeah , it happened a lot...the reason why I never play as commander, it's too slow for me with all those submenus.

I want a sensitive point-and-click interface like BIA & FSW, it's very effective and I don't see the reason why it can't be used with unscripted AI. (if they know how to use cover and suppression)

They can still keep the menus for micro-management, but there should be a faster way to select a predefined team.

Why don't they use the old fashion rts style?

Use F1 - F12 to select the guys, or select them with the mouse in command view, press CTRL + 1-10 to define a team, then press 1 to select team1, 2 to select team 2 and so on...

Also, the action menu...

Ok, I 'm used to it now, but why can't we have a simple keystroke to drop our weapon, put our weapon on back, etc...

That action menu should be as clean as possible imo.

I'd like to see... er make that hear, the radio voices changed. Perhaps each unit could shout "Roger!", while within earshot instead of every player having a radio, which I guess is a litte unrealistic at times? I don't know.

Also, I get tired of hearing "Seven!!! Go to!!! Bush!!! 4 o'clock!!!!" what I mean is that my orders are screamed at the soldiers, even though we're just getting in a truck. Perhaps the intensity of the voices could increase with danger? Perhaps just two levels instead of one.

That would be nice.

Thank you and good bye.

it'd be nice if we could set up our formations as tight (for close combat) and loose (for ranged combat) to better benefit the squad in whatever situation they should be in

also...i had an idea for a fully functional chain of command system, but it would take a lot of work from the devs, basicly the ranks range from private to general, and each rank can only directly command the rank under him who do the same till we get to the squads who actually do the fighting, so basicly the Major tells the 4 guys below him he wants that town secure, they in turn tell tell the squad leaders to attack the town in a sort of vee formation, and the 4 squad leaders tell the fire time leaders...well....you get the idea, anyways in the mission editor we could set up objective triggers with priority levels, so the ai general would focus sending more men to that particular objective, and similar to the coin dynamic campaign we could attach units to squads as "support units" who would come to the aid of the squad when commanded and reinforcement units who would be brought in by choppers and boats to the main base when heavy losses occur, and the amount of reinforcements you get depends on how the campaign is going, anyways the what i imagine, is one gigantic, epic battle for this island taking place in real time, with the player able to do whatever he pleases, but also, smaller, special ops style missions could be made and supporting units could be called in without the need of any scripting whatsoever, anyways, just an idea